Sign in to follow this  
Ticket1

Real sensation of speed in TW series of simulator

Hi folks,

In response to PFunk's complaint about TW simulators running at sub-par speed, I've finally found a solution.  Nevertheless, this solution does not represent or support views of any sort that the various simulators run at sub-par speed.  I believe it is the scaling of time vs map size which produces an effect that makes some of us feel like it's slow.

The resolution is quite simple.  Just make use of the "Time Compression" parameter in the FlightEngine.INI file to be 3X.  I've tested it, it's quite balanced.  You won't feel it's being accelerated, but mind you, if you over-run your target package, you better be very careful. :yikes:

Hope this helps! :salute:

Ticket1

That is anything but a "real" sensation of speed. What does it do for (or rather do to) the perceived handling characteristics of aircraft models, who's flight models are the product of many hours of effort on the part of the developers? It is, in my opinion (and my apologies for being blunt), a bogus solution, to a non-existent issue.

Ticket, the little computer monitor in front of you compresses all your forward vision into a little square. That's your problem. You can't fix that...well...try a 9-monitor Eyefinity setup with ATI cards. :heat:

Fub, he/she can still ask for help in learning how to use the numerical data (debug) and ways to measure distances on the map (free camera view) to show the numbers are correct, if he/she wishes to.

Dumb suggestion: zooming out your vieuw also helps. ..:blink:

Hou doe,

Derk

~> Zooming in --- well it depends on who is poasting since "in out" is fluffy language. Decreasing field of view is how you say it in teh maths.

I think 30 degree field of view is pretty realistic for the average monitor setup. Try landing with that. But, zooming in and out (I know it sounds fluffy) can be thought of simulating how we focus attention on little things or the big picture. Flying at max field of view, or "zoomed out" as found in the Fluffy manuscripts, simulates looking around for the big picture, getting orientation, and you don't focus on how the "fast" or "slow" terrain seems to ride by.

Well, I do feel fluffy now, but I agree. But in my perception a very narrow field of vieuw (zoomed in) lacks any feeling of speed. Maximum field is like looking through binoculars the wrong way round and ergo: the truth is somewhere in between.

For my feeling it is at least one of the things that (also) influences the idea of speed....

And, as I said it was a dumb remark anyway

With fluffy greetings :grin:

Derk

Man that was getting in touch with your fluffy side.

"Zoom in" and look out the side and down to the ground when flying at treetop level.

If you "zoom in" and keep looking out front, you are restricting your vision to farther distance in front of you that you are moving toward, and that should look slow.

The negative side of flying "zoomed out" is that it is so damn hard to spot and actually focus on the enemy jets.

Su-24M over dense terrain set, default time. I rest my case.

Density.wmv

Offtopic, what sound mod is that fubar? Sounds great!

Su-24M over dense terrain set, default time.  I rest my case.

Density.wmv

Fubar

That looks better!  So let me understand you correctly.  I need to choose a terrain like yours in order to see that effect.  The trouble is not too many terrain like that out there or I don;'t know where to go, could you point me to the right direction?

Thanks!

Ticket1

x8::

The negative side of flying "zoomed out" is that it is so damn hard to spot and actually focus on the enemy jets.

That's how it should be. Narrow field of view for seeing details, wide field of view for seeing the big picture around you (orientation, clouds...). This can be thought of as simulating our "focusing attention" on one or the other purpose. Sometimes you can use them together -- spot a dot, zoom in (say squint your eyes), and see if you can ID the target....but while you are squinting real hard something can come up aside your vision and bonk you cos you are paying all attention to the target. Something like that.

The trick is setup your zoom control so you quickly zoom in and out--quickly change field of view. TK's default view controls are all crippled out-of-box. They game's view controls are so slow and frustrating you can't wait to close the game and get back to Microsoft Windows. That's pretty bad.

So you change it. Here's my Viewlist.ini in-cockpit view control setup...try it...SF1

[ViewClass002]

ViewClassName=CockpitViewClass

ViewType=FIXED_VIEW

ViewGroupID=1

DefaultView=CockpitFront

AllowFromDiffGroup=TRUE

SnapView=FALSE

InsideView=TRUE

FocusObjectOnly=TRUE

FOV=90

PitchControl=CAMERA_PITCH_AXIS

YawControl=CAMERA_YAW_AXIS

RollControl=

ZoomControl=CAMERA_ZOOM_CONTROL

JumpToViewSameGroup=FALSE

JumpToViewDiffGroup=TRUE

SmoothAngleTransition=TRUE

SmoothPositionTransition=FALSE

SmoothFOVTransition=FALSE

RememberAngle=FALSE

//RememberFOV=FALSE

//LimitPitch=FALSE

//LimitYaw=FALSE

RememberFOV=TRUE

LimitPitch=TRUE

LimitYaw=TRUE

LimitRoll=FALSE

ZoomFOV=TRUE

ZoomScale=0.10

PanScale=0.01

MinSpeed=0

MaxSpeed=0

Acceleration=0

AngleRates=480,360,360

FOVRate=60

MinAngles=-135,-20,0

MaxAngles=135,110,0

MinFOV=30

MaxFOV=90

OffsetDistance=0.06

TrackIRUseAbsolutePos=TRUE

Most important for fast switching between wide and narror field of view is...in bold italic below. The others may be helpful also. Experiment to Taste.

ZoomScale=0.10

PanScale=0.01

MinSpeed=0

MaxSpeed=0

Acceleration=0

AngleRates=480,360,360

FOVRate=60

MinAngles=-135,-20,0

MaxAngles=135,110,0

MinFOV=30

MaxFOV=90

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

Hey, if this helps against flying bibles (the deadliest threath I can think of:this: ) I am sure going to try it.........

Hou doe,

Derk

That's how it should be. Narrow field of view for seeing details, wide field of view for seeing the big picture around you (orientation, clouds...). This can be thought of as simulating our "focusing attention" on one or the other purpose. Sometimes you can use them together -- spot a dot, zoom in (say squint your eyes), and see if you can ID the target....but while you are squinting real hard something can come up aside your vision and bonk you cos you are paying all attention to the target. Something like that.

The trick is setup your zoom control so you quickly zoom in and out--quickly change field of view. TK's default view controls are all crippled out-of-box. They game's view controls are so slow and frustrating you can't wait to close the game and get back to Microsoft Windows. That's pretty bad.

So you change it. Here's my Viewlist.ini in-cockpit view control setup...try it...SF1

[ViewClass002]

ViewClassName=CockpitViewClass

ViewType=FIXED_VIEW

ViewGroupID=1

DefaultView=CockpitFront

AllowFromDiffGroup=TRUE

SnapView=FALSE

InsideView=TRUE

FocusObjectOnly=TRUE

FOV=90

PitchControl=CAMERA_PITCH_AXIS

YawControl=CAMERA_YAW_AXIS

RollControl=

ZoomControl=CAMERA_ZOOM_CONTROL

JumpToViewSameGroup=FALSE

JumpToViewDiffGroup=TRUE

SmoothAngleTransition=TRUE

SmoothPositionTransition=FALSE

SmoothFOVTransition=FALSE

RememberAngle=FALSE

//RememberFOV=FALSE

//LimitPitch=FALSE

//LimitYaw=FALSE

RememberFOV=TRUE

LimitPitch=TRUE

LimitYaw=TRUE

LimitRoll=FALSE

ZoomFOV=TRUE

ZoomScale=0.10

PanScale=0.01

MinSpeed=0

MaxSpeed=0

Acceleration=0

AngleRates=480,360,360

FOVRate=60

MinAngles=-135,-20,0

MaxAngles=135,110,0

MinFOV=30

MaxFOV=90

OffsetDistance=0.06

TrackIRUseAbsolutePos=TRUE

Most important for fast switching between wide and narror field of view is...in bold italic below. The others may be helpful also. Experiment to Taste.

ZoomScale=0.10

PanScale=0.01

MinSpeed=0

MaxSpeed=0

Acceleration=0

AngleRates=480,360,360

FOVRate=60

MinAngles=-135,-20,0

MaxAngles=135,110,0

MinFOV=30

MaxFOV=90

Lexx

How do I rotate views of weapons?

THanx for those ini edits Lexx. It sure is better than stock!

The good thing is i dont need to wait in between view aircrafts in the same group

Fubar

That looks better! So let me understand you correctly. I need to choose a terrain like yours in order to see that effect. The trouble is not too many terrain like that out there or I don;'t know where to go, could you point me to the right direction?

Thanks!

Ticket1

For SF2E - download NF4+ (or look for Stary's Germany CE Terrain update mod if you don't want all of NF4+)

For SF2V - download the SF2V Expansion Pack (or look for the Green Hell 2 mod with Brian's tile repaint)

For SF2I - Enhanced SF2I Terrain by Stary

SF2 - Desert Ground Environment Update by Stary

Any title - Formosa Terrain Strait update

All of these are in the SF2 series terrains download section, with the exception of the Desert Ground Environment Update for SF2 which is in the SF1 section (but works with SF2). All of these add more detailed tiles and lots of trees.

Make sure your terrain texture and ground objects settings under graphics options are set as high as your FPS can stand. Then fly low and fast.

Done.

*edit* - sorry. Green Hell 2 is in the SF1 series section, I think. I know the expansion pack is in the SF2 section, though.

Edited by malibu43

Derk::

Hey, if this helps against flying bibles (the deadliest threath I can think of:this: ) I am sure going to try it.........

HAHA I edited a new example. You caught it. :drinks:

The original example was a guy zooming in paying all attention to a girl's swimsuit while a big KJV bible thrown by his wife flies at his head he doesn't even see it cos he was too focused on teh swimsuit.

Keep zoomed out for the big picture fellas!!

Pad::

How do I rotate views of weapons?

I forgot, cos I didn't do it....another did. :salute:

There's an ini edit somewhere here, at THE COMBATACE!!! It works wonders. I think it involved two (2) Viewlist blocks.

Nice enough this one Lexx, indeed better than stock in my perception. :good: And dodged quite a few bibles too in the process........:grin:

Hou doe,

Derk

That is anything but a "real" sensation of speed. What does it do for (or rather do to) the perceived handling characteristics of aircraft models, who's flight models are the product of many hours of effort on the part of the developers? It is, in my opinion (and my apologies for being blunt), a bogus solution, to a non-existent issue.

i agree

Folks,

I've just played Wings of Prey for 15 minutes and I've found that flying at 250 knots is like flying 550 knots in SFP1/WoV/WoE and WoI. Why I have that feeling and which is the real world sensation of speed?

Because you do not have real life experience with which to judge it against.

+1 Fub

PadFoott::

Why I have that feeling...

Man we are feeling fluffy tonight. :drinks:

Because you do not have the experience to pay attention to the poasts suggesting ideas on computer monitor, field of view, and game data display found on the last page?

...and this from a guy who does not fly (and never will), although I did train in private flying but was too freaked out at the time to worry about how "fast" the terrain moved lol (and not wealthy enough to continue training, too bad).

Short article on field of view ~> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_view

Interesting computer game take on this...

Inadequate Field of View (FoV) might cause virtual motion sickness

~> http://ferv0r.wordpress.com/2010/07/03/inadequate-field-of-view-fov-might-cause-virtual-motion-sickness/

Remember fellas: Increase FOV and things move slower on screen. Now, mash your face on the monitor and things move faster, or get an Eyefinity setup. Gaming FOV is a number generally restricted to the interval (0,180) in degrees. You can get a fishbowl effect by setting FOV near like 170 in THE SF. FOV = 180 might crash the game if I recall, mmm dunno now.