Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Two Belgian Nupes in OFF - didn't know that

Maybe you rotary fans knew this since long time, but an Albatros-man discovered only now:

there are two Belgian skins for the N11 in OFF (Olieslagers and Thierry).

I browsed a little, and found another beautiful skin: that of French pilot Turenne.

I can only recommend to everyone: get the free download program "Irfanview", and browse through this wonderful fund of skins!

Beautiful works, Rabu!

I'd love to see a couple Belgian squads added-- they could offer tours of duty with Nieuports 11, 16, 17 and then the Hanriots and Spads.

Yes, it would be great, and rather easy to do, I suppose. Belgian Squadrons operated from northern Flanders.

Here is a website I had posted before - it's about the Belgian Air Service in WW1.

If you only see a blue screen, scroll down a bit. Quite informative.

http://www.baha.be/Webpages/Navigator/Belgian_Aviation_History/ww_i/WW1.htm

Those skins are new to me too. Never seen them before. Hopefully some day the brave little Belgian air force will be included in OFF. They had some great and highly motivated pilots, and it would honour them and their country, which had to experience really bad things at the hands of militaristic great powers of the 20th century, to be remembered in OFF. The fate of small neutral countries is one of the biggest shameful things of both world wars. They didn't want war, but the great powers didn't give a damn about them.

Yes, Belgium, Netherlands and Poland are smaller countries, which just got trampled underfoot.

If you want to check, Hasse Wind: the Belgian Nupes are not among the other N11 skins - their names are written different.

The Belgians are written:

off_Nieuport11_ace_t_Esc 1 1916_Olieslagers.dds

The other, French Nupes are written:

Off_NieuportN11_ace_t_Esc 48 1916_Armand Jean Galliot Joseph_de Turenne.dds

I think, the first time ever N11 campaign I will fly, will be in a Belgian fighter.

Their national colours are the same by the way as the German ones today: Black, Red and Gold

Now this is getting interesting! I just checked: those skins are for Esc. 1 (Olieslagers) and Esc. 10 (Thieffry).

Both Escadrilles do not yet exist in OFF.

Now the Germans would say in Berlin slang: "Nachtigall, ick hör Dir trapsen!" (Nightingale, I hear you clumping!) -

could it be, that our devs had already planned to give us Belgian fighters and pilots (so Rabu already made these skins),

but then had so much else to do firstly, that they dropped the idea for P3 - but may come up with it in P4 ?!?

I hope so, Olham, I really do.

But while waiting for the Belgians, do yourself a favour and start a Nupe career or two on the French or British side. Nupe 11 and 17 are both great planes, quite easy and fun to fly. You should be familiar with the weak wings too, thanks to your long experience with the Albs. The N.11 is the best fighter for early 1916, and the N.17 is a match for the Albatros D.II and also for D.III. I like these Nupes more than the later, heavier ones.

Yuppers Olham, I was aware of those skins and have flown them several times. I have always been a big fan of little Belgium and in fact created the Camel skin for Lt. Jan Olieslagers of 9me Escadrille de Chasse. I also built an entire set of Belgian Camel skins for that escadrille for those who wanted to switch out one of the Brit squadrons in that area, just so they might see Belgium represented from time to time in the OFF skies. There are a few other Belgian skins availbale in the download section as well.

I've seen hundreds of photos of Belgian planes and tens of photos of Olieslagers' and Thierry's machines but none that had "Le Demon" on it. Like to see a photo of that machine so I can draw one. Can you post that or link to it, Rabu?

For those interested in the Aviation Militaire Belge, here's a new A-to-Z book:

http://www.aeronautbooks.com/

Yes, I know your Camel with the thistle on the side, Lou - good job!

I have enlisted in Escadrille 26 with my Belgian Nupe, because it was operating from Koksijde by the sea.

If anyone want s to use those OFF Belgian skins:

you only have to add an "N" inbetween "Nieuport" and the "11", and you'll find them available.

Of course, I have made my own Belgian skin. Not yet perfect, but I'll keep it for a while.

I'll have to get used to it, Hasse Wind. Now I know why they called them "kites" - it's tossed about by the wind - incredible!

As an Albatros pilot, ot is hard to take the little cutie serious. But it turns fine.

I have got into some stall spins (don't yet know how to turn best), but it recovers easily.

There are a handful of Belgian skins in the Download section

Red Dog, Lou and myself have all done some :salute:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

With these downloads, do they replace existing skins, or augment them?

I almost wonder if you could simulate a Belgian squad by taking a northern French Esc that handles Nieuports (I can think of a couple) and then just do the "custom select menu" and designate the squad to fly the Belgian add-on skin. The result would basically be to fly as a Belgian in OFF-- you have the location, you have the skin and the planes. The rest of the game really is the same between airforces-- you'd be doing the same confirmation process as everyone else and flying many of the same missions. The northern theater also would expose you more to water and northern Flanders, which is where the Belgians were.

Sounds like a nice little change of pace and a different skin to use. The only downer would be that there isn't a P-3 level Hanriot HD-1 to add a unique element for Belgians.

Edited by SirMike1983

I know, I know, Widowmaker, and they are great works. But that wasn't my point; I was surprised - and maybe you are too -

that there were Belgian skins in there already - all the time; but they were hidden for the campaign menue by leaving out

the additional "N" in the name. I find this encouraging, cause it was already planned in 2006 to add the Belgians.

We may get them next time?

SirMike, what and where is the "custom select menue"???

It would be possible to replace all skins from one Escadrille by Belgian ones, but what about the Log and Campaign menue?

I think, the missing Escadrille 1 and 10 will be added one day, and they seem to have been formed by French AND Belgian

pilots, if I remember right.

Until then, I will fly my single Belgian N11 in Escadrille 26, Koksijde - close enough for me.

yes, knew about the two Belgians, cos I was going to do the Thiery skin originally..but it was already there.

I never mentioned it at the time, because I thought they were campaign or mission aircraft, and I didn't want to spoil the surprise for people..(before I learned how the Sim works) :grin:

It's phantastic - this sim can still surprise me. I will take more time to see through the skins.

They are a gold mine.

:good:

As they say, timing is everything. Just finishing up this model.

Is that the Guillow's N.11 kit?

I love that kit-- I have one completed from years ago, and a second still not done in the box.

Wow, Mr.Lucky - that's a nice model!

When I see a good looking RC model, I always wonder, how people dare to fly them.

A Nupe must be quite tricky to operate?

Wow, Mr.Lucky - that's a nice model!

When I see a good looking RC model, I always wonder, how people dare to fly them.

A Nupe must be quite tricky to operate?

That's not a Guillows kit. It's a 35.5 inch wingspan, ARF (almost ready to fly) kit by Electrifly which I wanted to try. They have several WWI airplanes; DVII, DR1, Spad XXIII, N11, Sop Camel, SE5A.

I appreciate the compliment, Olham, but since it is ARF, I can't take the credit or the blame (I would've done a better job covering the fuselage). As far as flying, I always take a nice photo before the first flight. I learned long ago that if you're going to fly models, you haveto be prepared to crash them. All crashes aren't fatal though, and I have 1 or 2 models that have crashed, been repaired and fly to this day. As I said, I wante dto try this plane and see how it flew. Otherwise, I prefer built up kits which have more detail and take more time, but I also enjoy building. I have avery nice Alb DV I will start as soon as I finish a Piper Cub my Dad started.

A nice Albatros D.V ??? Please report, when it's ready (or even half-ready).

So they fly with an electro motor? Sounds like something to try (I had a real petrol engine once,

but it was tricky to get it running, made lots of - wrong - noise, and dirt).

Hey Olham, I used to fly gas or glow engines too. I always wanted to try electrics but too inefficient and expensive, but now, they've made great strides in the technology, especially in batteries. Now you can 12 minute flight times on a Lithium Poly battery pack which is close to what you got on fuel and that's plenty of time in the air or you'll get a stiff neck. They've made progress in motors too so the whole system is light enough to power almost any kit or scratch model. Plus, since there's almost no vibration, the airframe doesn't need to be as heavy. And...there's no mess to clean up, not much noise and you don't spend all day trying to start the engine instead of flying. I relish the advancements in electric power systems and highly recommend flying RC electric. The model shown cost me about 200.00 U.S. in the kit and components. It could've been about 100.00 more but I already had a transmitter and receiver. If you want more info, I'd recommend going to www.towerhobbies.com and go from there. The Piper Cub and Albatross were both gas models that I am converting to electric. Sorry to hi jack the thread just wanted to share info. Correction...it's a DII not a DV.

Edited by Mr. Lucky