Sign in to follow this  
macelena

Tokyo raid with seplanes?

I was just wondering, about the epic Doolittle Raid, and the idea came to my mind. Why didn´t they use a different way to bomb Tokyo? It was too complex, no one could guarantee that it was about to success. B-25s on a carrier, even today it´s hard to believe. So, why didn´t they just use Catalinas or Mariners? The PBY could have been dispatched by a seaplane tender, or have flown from land and refuelled from subs at meeting points. I know that sea conditions could have been an issue, but i see it far more simple than the actual plan. The PBYs could carry as much payload as a B-25, had a greater range, it wouldn´t have implied landing in a hostile area like China, etc. I see it would have been a good idea. So what do you think about it?

Edited by macelena

To be honest I think that particular type would have been massacred before it would have any targets... Much larger and slower targets for the japs to shoot at..

Loaded with sea conditions?

When I see seaplane vids the water is smooth and quiet. But if the water was like what we see on the B-25 vids, I dunno.

Anyways PBY slow. Maybe a night strike butt what would that show? Day strike and everybody could see Japan had its pants down. B-25 better for this, enough to try the carrier thing.

I dont think the PBY's would have been as succesful nor would have captured the imagination like the B-25s off the Hornet did. One thing about the American psyche we love seeing ourselves step up to a challange and come out on top, not just doing what is possible but the seemingly impossible.

The Catalinas were to slow and, if i remember right, were unable to defend themself against a modern fighter. They would have been an easy prey for the Zeros and Hayabusas.

The B-25 on a carrier was a crazy idea, but a good one.

Theres 2 Ts in the Generals name. Doolittle & his men did it right! WITH HUGE BRASS BALLS! Thats all we need to know. Don't second guess a war hero like him, C.M.O.H. Winner.

Citation:

For conspicuous leadership above the call of duty, involving personal valor and intrepidity at an extreme hazard to life. With the apparent certainty of being forced to land in enemy territory or to perish at sea, Gen. Doolittle personally led a squadron of Army bombers, manned by volunteer crews, in a highly destructive raid on the Japanese mainland. Gen James Harold Doolittle is herby awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Edited by MAKO69

Theres 2 Ts in the Generals name.

Corrected. Now, i didn´t mean to take on a MOH recipient, just to point out an alternative that might have worked.

Edited by macelena