Sign in to follow this  
Winder

In Cockpit Pilots

49 members have voted

1. 1. In cockpit View: Animated Pilot Arms Legs and Torso when in first person view

• I like them - they should remain in cockpits in P4 (in all craft)
    • I prefer not to have them - they should not be in cockpits in P4

Please vote your preference.

Note: this is not about the external view of the craft - in external view the pilot figure will remain in P4.

This is purely about the 'in pit' animated pilot (First Person View)

Ta

WM

I like them as when you look down you can see instead of being a virtual legless wonder your legs are still attached virtually...

Edit :- You could also add a splash of red for when the pilots hit... watching the blood flow out of you... virtually that is... but I dont think that that is possible... well maybe...

Edited by Slartibartfast

I like them as when you look down you can see instead of being a virtual legless wonder your legs are still attached virtually...

Couldn't have said it better myself. It does add to the immersion. Otherwise you're looking at empty rudder pedals and wondering where your feet went. :grin:

In real life you see your body, so in my opinion it is an absolute necessity for realism . Looking down and seeing an empty cockpit makes no sense to me.

It's a good idea but IMO place the feet lower on the rudder bar/pedals. As of now the heels are way up on the pedals--it looks as if the pilot is trying to stop a child's wagon with his feet--and as a pilot this position robs you of full range of motion. Using the balls of your feet gives you a much further range of motion and enables much more lateral control.

As far as blood, consider that the layers of clothing worn by the pilots would contain most bleeding from "splashing" around the cockpit. Blood often fountains out of a penetrating head wound momentarily and that would be caught by the wind and sprayed around a bit, or perhaps arterial injuries would spurt enough to leak through any bullet shredded clothing. Still, although it wouldn't bother me, I estimate that level of gore would bother most--we can pretend to kill people, just not pretend too much.

Will voting yes or no have any effect on the release date of P4? I imagine that adding the graphics files for in-cockpit pilots for every plane type might take up a bit of time.

Easy to answer - keep the bodies! It always bothers me (not very much, but still) when I don't see my character's body in computer games. Empty cockpits in sims, floating arms and weapons without the rest of the body in shooters - not very good for immersion.

Will voting yes or no have any effect on the release date of P4? I imagine that adding the graphics files for in-cockpit pilots for every plane type might take up a bit of time.

Not at all - but understand that P4 is some way off yet....the question should hint at that.

WM

Well, I voted No...not to be negative or controversial...just that it doesnt bother me either way :drinks:

My vote is no.... the reason being I like to see the mixture control when I adjust it and it is covered by those big old gloves when the pilot is rendered.

Beard

I voted yes.

My only concern would be body parts blocking views of critical instruments like floor mounted compasses.

Yes to visible and animated arms and legs. Many of these craft had yokes at the ends of the control columns and the pilots flew with both hands on the stick. And I believe the left side of the Fokker yokes were throttle controls. Could the left hand and arm be on the control stick and only move to the throttle/mixture levers when the game senses them being adjusted?

My idea of the ultimate pilot animation, though, was inspired the first time I saw the pilot's head tracking his opponent in IL-2 (which, in itself, would be terrific, BTW, especially in open-cockpit planes). It really only applies to multiplayer, but to have the pilot's head slaved to wherever the player was looking. That way you could see if he knew where you were or if you had executed a successful stalk. Of course, that's undoubtedly a game engine thing and not an option in OFF.

Uncleal. If you zoom out any from the default view or have altered the view in workshop then the distortion may seem like the lower pit is much further away than it really is (you are using a wide angle lens basically).

No we probably won't be making arms etc move away and back to instruments.

I'm with Beard. I like them, but voted NO because in some planes

they block an instrument or compass or other controls which I use.

Just a thought: do you devs think it could be done so, that the body can be chosen "on" or "off" in "Workshop"?

Would make all happy.

I also voted "Yes" on this. But I do like Herr Olham's though about a switch in the workshop, if that would not be a lot of work to create. If it's a major job though I'd say you devs spend that time instead working on Widowmaker's Snipe.

pssst, WM, I haven't received my cheque for September yet, so until I do no more plugs for you kite

:grin:

I also voted "Yes" on this. But I do like Herr Olham's though about a switch in the workshop, if that would not be a lot of work to create. If it's a major job though I'd say you devs spend that time instead working on Widowmaker's Snipe.

pssst, WM, I haven't received my cheque for September yet, so until I do no more plugs for you kite

:grin:

Alas not possible would require two models per craft so we are looking for in or out....

WM

Would it then be possible without too much work, to add those instruments, which are covered by knees or elbows,

to the instruments clickable by F5 (the compass etc.).

There are instruments not yet used in WW1, like the "artificial horizon" - perhaps they can be replaced?

Just another thought.