Sign in to follow this  
firehawkordy

Admit It.....

Besides Falcon and I and a few others that post in the Sci-Fi board how many others here watch anime or read mangas ? I always wonder because it's a guilty pleasure in my circle of friends. And if you watch or read, what do you watch or read?

I'll list some of my stuff, you'll be surprised at it but for all my geekiness I spent 15 out 20 years in the Navy playing with all kinds of destruction.

RaXephon

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Mezzo DSA

Gunslinger Girl (I know this irritates Falcon) Both seasons and the OVA

Full Metal Panic

FMP The Second Raid

Solty Rei

Desert Punk

Innocent Venus

Grenadier

Eureka 7

Got more but these are the ones that I can sit down and waste an entire weekend with.

And you all thought I just spent my spare time threatening my daughters boyfriend :spiteful:

Edited by firehawkordy

I really liked the Eureka 7 animé, same with most of the Gundam stuff, but I don't read much manga. My favorite animé is easily Area 88 though.

Oh, and despite my age, I still watch Pokémon. It's just so corny and entertaining, I can't resist!

I deny.

Maybe - if there is a game in which the boyfriend is threatened (suggestion to TK..:clapping:....) - I 'll have to confess someday.....

Hou doe,

Derk

I collect spores, molds and fungus.

That's not the kind of behavior you typically see in a forum administrator.

I grew up watching some Speed Racer and Starblazers, but I was never big into them. Something about the style just irks me. Call me crazy, I like smooth movement, not rapid movement between freezing in place. :wink:

I had given up the Japanese sci-fi anims since my childhood's favourites (Goldorak, Ulysses 31, Captain Future...), and rediscovered this universe in my late twenties only. I never buy mangas, read only those I can borrow from the local public libraries. Since then, I've enjoyed sci-fi or alternate future mangas like Gunnm Last Order, The Legend of Mother Sarah, Ghost in the Shell (both the manga and the anim), Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (both the manga and the anim), and some other future wars mangas read since long and whose names I can't remember, but appreciated at that time. Nowadays, I focus on more "serious" and contemporary mangas like Zipang, The Summit of the Gods, or Les Gouttes de Dieu (Kami no Shizuku, I know no English name, a welcome ode to French wines). I also like Jap anims when I can find a good one. I enjoy the oniric universe of Miyazaki, and have felt interested in some limited way in the latest Summer Wars.

That's not the kind of behavior you typically see in a forum administrator.

Print is dead.

I used to read mangas and watch animes, only few of them some years ago, today i've lost the intrest.

Not all of them were Sci-Fi, but heres the list of what i've read and watched:

Manga:

Gundam Wing

Knights of the Zodiac (Saint Seya)

Anime:

Dragon Ball Z (i only like this series of DB family)

Knights of the Zodiac

Gundam Wing

Patlabor.

just those, i tried to watch/read evangelion but i found it a way too much psycho to my young mind and i gave up.

I´m not much put into Manga/Anime. I don´t use to take that amount of fantasy, and sometimes (please forgive me) i feel like Manga was a way to produce art in massive numbers, a kind of foolproof procedure for drawers. Now this may be good so everyone can express through comics, but it´s not exactly my thing.

However, there are a few animes wich i really enjoyed. Ghost in the Shell, Porco Rosso, Zipang, Planetes, SkyCrawlers. The fact is that Anime and Manga allow stories to be told, and that makes it great.

Not really - havent heard of any of that stuff above. My early memories (late 70s) once led me to a nostalgia search on the net for a cartoon with "G Force" in it which turned out to be "Battle Of The Planets". This apparently is an extremely edited version of a Manga type cartoon called Gatcha Man Team Ninja or something. Needless to say I watched an episode a few years back and it was **** - not what I remembered funnily enough.

So anyone thinking of reliving their toddlerhood with this DONT

Not really - havent heard of any of that stuff above. My early memories (late 70s) once led me to a nostalgia search on the net for a cartoon with "G Force" in it which turned out to be "Battle Of The Planets". This apparently is an extremely edited version of a Manga type cartoon called Gatcha Man Team Ninja or something. Needless to say I watched an episode a few years back and it was **** - not what I remembered funnily enough.

So anyone thinking of reliving their toddlerhood with this DONT

yeah, G force, i live my childhood watching it and pokemon, nice remember!

i think the CN here never finished the damn whole serie.

move into the movies, like Spriggan, Ninga Scroll, and one of my favorites, Wings of Honimisae (sp?)--that has a GREAT story, and superb action sequences

I do remember rushing home from school in the early 70s to see RoboTech and sometimes, Starblazers (proud owner of the full DVD set of SB)

wrench

kevin stein

I watch Bleach, Strike Witches, Vampire Knight, Highschool of the Dead, Clannad (both seasons), Gunslinger Girl, All of the Gundam animes, Tyinia < bad spelling, its a space political action drama> and Vanguard (both seasons) to name a few.

The thing I hate about the second season of Gunslinger Girl is the poor animation but the plot is excellent. I didn't know there's a Gunslinger Girl OVA though. I saw someone mentioned Sky Crawlers. BLECH! Poor character design and confusing plot. Only thing I like about it is the dogfighting scenes.

Falcon

not that much into it,..but I was getting a kick watching the last few Naruto Shippuden episodes

My favorite Manga was Macross, though I've only watched it in its american incarnation: Robotech part 1. Actually, Robotech was created from 3 independent animes: Macross, Southern Cross and Genessis Climber Mospeada, because the guys from Harmony gold needed at least a 65 episodes show and their first choice (Macross) only had 36, so they put the tree of them together and changed the plot (keeping Macross as the core) to merge the 3 tales into 1.

I like to watch Gundam Wing and I write sci fi stories(none of them have been published...yet.)