Sign in to follow this  
OvS

O/T: Need PC help... please. PC locks constantly.

I had the Google Virus on the old computer . It got in thru the browser. I was using MSN or Yahoo.and Like others have said a real Bear. I have heard that reformatting the Hard Drive works of course, You lose all information. The real pain is reloading all the games, ad ons, downloads and patches, Plus searching out the sites where they came from. Not to mention the Drivers. One curious thing I found was that Theres is a fast reformat and a slow reformat. You can recover information at a later date with the Fast re format. The slow reformat everything is Gone forever period. I did not have to re install the Operating system, XP Pro, on the fast re format. Found a helpful site for small computer problems ( auto run , settings, ect) Its an XP, Win 7, Vista, 98 ect, Disscussion forum good reading but dont down load because of the Browser Bug,

its Called: Annoyances.org You could search there for Registry re construction Tips or settings or applications. Good Luck.

Of course, with XP you can do a 'Repair' of windows, with the XP disk...deletes and then reinstalls Windows, leaving programs intact.

Dunno if there's a similar option in W7?

The problem with OvS is not the Google Virus. Otherwise it wouldn't happen with grabit, which is a usenet client, working in different ports than any Internet browser.

When OvS says lockup, I'm assuming it's a freeze. The image just freezes, and the hardisk is still working. It doesn't reboot only freezes, mouse and keyboard stop working. With this symptom, I'd say it's hardly, a memory problem. But to be absolutely sure, yes memtest is a good memory tester.

EDIT:

Of course, with XP you can do a 'Repair' of windows, with the XP disk...deletes and then reinstalls Windows, leaving programs intact.

With Win7 there are a lot of better tools to recover/repair the system than with XP. Even Vista is better than XP in that matter.

But UK, I haven't done that with Vista and W7, and to be honest even if I can do, I really prefer to do a fresh install when all my tools fail.

UK, if you need any repair tool for Vista or Windows 7, pm me. From a fellow IT to another IT. :grin:

Edited by Von Paulus

Windows 7 is a lot better. In fact, 7 comes with a system imaging program that will image the entire hard drive. My strategy was to reinstall everything exactly as I wanted it, then image the whole thing. I back up documents seperately once a week and if anything ever happens, I follow two steps: re-image the hard drive with the old, good version of Windows 7, and restore my documents.

Done in two.

It's really simple and a hell of a long way from Format C:, Reinstall Windows 98 via boot disk and CD, install drivers... etc...

Windows 7 is a lot better. In fact, 7 comes with a system imaging program that will image the entire hard drive. My strategy was to reinstall everything exactly as I wanted it, then image the whole thing. I back up documents seperately once a week and if anything ever happens, I follow two steps: re-image the hard drive with the old, good version of Windows 7, and restore my documents.

Done in two.

It's really simple and a hell of a long way from Format C:, Reinstall Windows 98 via boot disk and CD, install drivers... etc...

Yeah, it looks like I am going that route too. Nothing is helping, and all components look OK.

I'm going to hold off until November for this though. It's not that critical. I can live with it. I have too many project I have to complete before I can safely be without the PC for a while.

OvS

Yeah, it looks like I am going that route too. Nothing is helping, and all components look OK.

I'm going to hold off until November for this though. It's not that critical. I can live with it. I have too many project I have to complete before I can safely be without the PC for a while.

OvS

Damn right!...get skinning my Snipes please!! :drinks::lol:

Not trying to steal the show, but Iv'e got a similar problem that started appearing a good 8 months ago, it comes and goes, and everytime I think I have done something to fix it it comes back. It first started showing up while playing OFF or some other video games and the symptoms were the game would freeze, but the audio would continue for several minutes, can't bring up task manager, no response, can't alt tab out, then the computer would crash with a brief blue screen with text too brief to read, and it would automatically reboot itself.

At the time I thought maybe it was the video card, so needing a new one anyway, I upgraded, still got the problem, also sometimes happened when playing a video online or on the HD. I have run memory tests let them run all night with no results. Of course I have updated video drivers after first doing an uninstall. Have upgraded audio drivers, have run full HD scans for errors and full defrags, even though they say they don't need them. Have done the MS updates and milicious software removal numerous times. Done system restores to no avail. Run my antivirus on full and do weekly scans and it has caught trojens in the past and lots of cookies, but nothing reported as not being removed. I have a Mob monitor and when ever something happens I check on system and CPU temps and they are both always down well below 50c

A few weeks ago I updated the Nvidia drivers and didn't have any problems for about two weeks, then bam, it started doing it again.. driving me crazy.

I really don't want to have to reinstall everthing with a OS reinstall, maybe will try a XP repair install first.

The other idea I had was to connect another empty SATA drive I have as the boot disk, install XP on it, update it, etc., and run things on it for awhile and see if I have the same problem. Isn't it possible to set up a dual boot option at start up and choose which drive you want to boot from?

Guest British_eh

Hi there OvS,

Try WIndows 7 N. I have the European Edition, which doesn't come with stuff like MS Office, etc. It is stripped down, lean, and fast. Not all that stuff running in the background that you can't stop.

I'm most pleased, and it's not expensive because it is bare bones.

Cheers,

British_eh

Hi there OvS,

Try WIndows 7 N. I have the European Edition, which doesn't come with stuff like MS Office, etc. It is stripped down, lean, and fast. Not all that stuff running in the background that you can't stop.

I'm most pleased, and it's not expensive because it is bare bones.

Cheers,

British_eh

I was looking at the home edition, but really, I never use the packaged software other than MS Office. All that movie making stuff they include I wind-up using other programs. I think I like your option. The OEM Home edition is 100 USD on newegg. I'll see about that 'N' version. I used to run MS98 that way was well and it kicked butt over XP... but in the end, I dumped it as it was too old an OS to keep runnning.

Thanks for the advice... @Tony... yes, I got it, and I'll try it as well.

You guys all rock and it's really great to know I can always come here and get the best answers to my questions. I tell ya... I never consider myself an expert at anything as there is ALWAYS room to learn more. :good:

OvS

Not trying to steal the show, but Iv'e got a similar problem that started appearing a good 8 months ago, it comes and goes, and everytime I think I have done something to fix it it comes back. It first started showing up while playing OFF or some other video games and the symptoms were the game would freeze, but the audio would continue for several minutes, can't bring up task manager, no response, can't alt tab out, then the computer would crash with a brief blue screen with text too brief to read, and it would automatically reboot itself. ....

You're not stealing any show Rob, no doubt it's always great to get more info on a problem as you never know where the answer might be hiding. I think we have similar problems, but mine locks only during downloading. Last night, no issues. I pulled down some files on random newsgroups using Grabit.. then tried MP3 conversions from youtube... no issues. I then allowed it to sit and run for a while, and finally took a 1 hour flight in FSX... no issues. Very strange. All I did was blow-out the case and re-seat the video card. I know it's still there, so I have little confidence... this is just a teaser. AVG did pick-up a few trojans as well the other day, and twice yesterday. So something is there doing it's damage. But again, it's totally random. When my PC locks, everything locks... sound, mouse, keyboard...etc. It only locks when I try to download something.

best,

James

Thanks, Otto. When mine locks up everything locks up except for the sound.. no mouse, no keyboard control, no Caps lock.. bad stuff.

Well, you guys won't believe this.. yesterday, after reading some of the solution posts here I went and tried to dl the WD disgnostics software on the WD site and when I clicked on the dl.. bam.. computer locked up and crashed! Happened two more times last night when trying to dl other files.. this is really weird, almost like some one is watching me and decided to throw a new crash into my problems.. never had this happen before on dl's, only on playing videos or games before! Managed to dl the WD program, made a book diskette and ran it last night, and it could find no problems with my SATA drive. I also tried the MS Fix it program some one referenced and installed and ran it for the "video locks up" diagnosis. It ended up uninstalling Indeo video and my Intervideo audio program, but neither of those got rid of the problem either. This is driving me crazy.

I'm also thinking of upgrading to Windows 7, but I think I'll spring for the Pro mode.. the home mode does not include the ability to use older XP programs, this is an important issue for me as I have many programs not designed for 64 bit use or Win7.

Here's a comparison of the three versions:

Also, if you have MS Media Player it's really important that you back up all of the media information, it's one thing MS left out of the equation for MP, Anything not in the ID3 tags can get lost. There is a free ware program I use that makes it simple. If you don't you lose all the ratings you give songs, etc., Dale Preston's MetaData Backup But that brings up a question, does Windows 7 have it's own player or does it still use Windows Media Player? I've got hundreds of music entries that I don't want to lose info on.

Edited by rabu

Hey Widowmaker: I would like to learn how todo a repair of windows with XP Could ya point me where I can learn more ? Thanks Carrick58

I have the Google Virus on the Old Computer, but I dont want to loose the info on the Hard Drive.

For anyone where their AV has picked up trojans and quarantined them, delete them from your virus vault, then go into "system restore" and delete all old restore points or just turn it off (which does the same thing). Viruses tend to lurk in old restore points and can re-emerge at any time from there regardless of whether your AV has "removed" them or not. Reboot, do another full virus scan and repeat as long as required.

Hope it helps.

hmm, i did have a problem with occasional start up hang ups (after loading windows but before it executes the login, aka the black screen of nihilism) and other occasional problems with the hd light on and clearly audible disk cycling. I normally get this problem if i haven't defraged for a few months

Sure enough it was a fragmented master table and one or two fragmented system files.

One quick (5 hour) defrag and all was well.

I'm sure you've already tried that but you never know.

Browser redirects and other malware can be checked by disconnecting from the internet and loading up the blank browser page.

most port exposing malware will ask you to connect to the internet if you disconnect for any reason. For always online broadband systems this can go unnoticed as you're logged into the internet long before the desktop appears.

Asking to be connected to the internet after disconnecting, is a good sign something's listening in from the disk.

But as i said, if one of the files explorer or ie explorer fragments, it can cause issues. You also get that problem if you use disk caching/page file as additional memory (fragmented files loaded into ram and then transfered back onto the disk will hang the system and cause disk cycling)

Fragmented files do to hard disks, what a scratch does to a dvd player (well that's how i think about it)

Hey Widowmaker: I would like to learn how todo a repair of windows with XP Could ya point me where I can learn more ? Thanks Carrick58

I have the Google Virus on the Old Computer, but I dont want to loose the info on the Hard Drive.

Hi Carrick

Yes, it's quite easy to do.

When it's doing it's thing..it does exactly what it would if you had formatted!...but don't panic, although it looks like it's wiped everything, it hasn't...but it can be a bit scary first time! :grin:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

good luck :drinks:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

OvS

I trust you have cleared your Internet Browser Cache.. and cleared your Cookies?

The amount of sh*t I see caused, just by not doing that! :good:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

I'll chime in again and mention another possibility: browser. I just had my system lock up three times this morning using Mozilla Firefox. I had the same applications open each time, iTunes and Firefox, trying to perform the same task each time, and each time it locked. The computer booted to a black screen the second time, and the third time I got a full on BSOD. Just restarted, and I'm using Chrome with no issues.

I'll chime in again and mention another possibility: browser. I just had my system lock up three times this morning using Mozilla Firefox. I had the same applications open each time, iTunes and Firefox, trying to perform the same task each time, and each time it locked. The computer booted to a black screen the second time, and the third time I got a full on BSOD. Just restarted, and I'm using Chrome with no issues.

Yeah, I'm going to try Chrome as well. I've had my PC lock with Firefox open, Media Player and Photoshop at the same time. Must be something in the memory buffer.... if there is such a thing anymore.

OvS

Chrome (IMHO) is the best Browser ever!

Fast, secure, trouble free...brilliant!

It does sound like your lockups are being caused by redirects causing service issues.

When confronted with any possible malicious code, I do the following:

Manually disable the router.

Go into Temp folder in AppData from the primary Admin Account and make note of all entries. Then open each entry if it is folder and check what's in them. Make notes. You can dismiss FSXAPIDebugLog. It's a permanent log file that FSX uses.

Defrag your drive completely, then go back into the above Temp folder and note any changes. Except for the FSX Log file, delete only those folders where nothing new has been written. Leave the modified folder/files alone.

Shut down and start up in Safe Mode with network access. IF the code is morphing type, this will force it to change and try to redirect. Port 116 is still open but blocked by disconnecting the router. The code doesn't know this and hopefully a new registry entry(s) is made.

Run a complete scan with Malwarebytes and then with your regular AV program. Follow their directions if any are given.

When finished, reconnect router and take her for a spin. Go back into AppData Temp and check what's there. Then download a file and check same Temp again. I suspect user file service.

I've had three instances of code coming in through port 116 which is the most common port user file services need access.

Hope this helps.

plug_nickel (Al)

• Like 1

It does sound like your lockups are being caused by redirects causing service issues.

When confronted with any possible malicious code, I do the following:

Manually disable the router.

Go into Temp folder in AppData from the primary Admin Account and make note of all entries. Then open each entry if it is folder and check what's in them. Make notes. You can dismiss FSXAPIDebugLog. It's a permanent log file that FSX uses.

Defrag your drive completely, then go back into the above Temp folder and note any changes. Except for the FSX Log file, delete only those folders where nothing new has been written. Leave the modified folder/files alone.

Shut down and start up in Safe Mode with network access. IF the code is morphing type, this will force it to change and try to redirect. Port 116 is still open but blocked by disconnecting the router. The code doesn't know this and hopefully a new registry entry(s) is made.

Run a complete scan with Malwarebytes and then with your regular AV program. Follow their directions if any are given.

When finished, reconnect router and take her for a spin. Go back into AppData Temp and check what's there. Then download a file and check same Temp again. I suspect user file service.

I've had three instances of code coming in through port 116 which is the most common port user file services need access.

Hope this helps.

plug_nickel (Al)

Wow... now this is really interesting! Thanks for the indepth strategy on dealing with this. I think I might have it licked, but one never knows. I will try this and see if anything is happening.

BTW... thanks for the FSX folder location. I new there was one from my FS9 days, but I was unsure where they hid it in the FSX version.

All the best,

OvS