Sign in to follow this  
JediMaster

The End of a (Fairly Short) Era

There's a strong rumor that the shutdown is a PR stunt with GoG officially coming out of beta stage.

Awwww man, I'd hope GOG isn't shutting down, I thought what they were doing was great! I bought I76 and Independance War from them because they were the ones who could get both of those programs to run on Win7.

FC

I've heard maybe they're dumping their DRM-free model and going with something more like Steam or D2D or Impulse. We'll see I guess.

They were a great source for OFPGOTY as they rolled everything into one install.exe giving you OFP 1.46 and Resistance 1.96 without the multi-CD / license typing fest of the original packages. I would hate to see them go. The DRM free model was very appealing as well... burn it to CD, no problems ever even if the company shuts down. I can imagine a day when Steam ceases to be and all of the games purchased via steam become useless. The trick is, do I still have a PC that can run the games if Steam disappears (assuming it will be 5 years or more before it could cease to be)?

Time is a limiting factor for games depending on their coding. I have some games that are 10 yrs or older that I can't get to work anymore because they used DX routines no longer supported by drivers from the big 2. When I moved to my house 9 yrs ago I did a lot of "game cleaning" and tossed most of my pre-95 games that were basically impossible to get working under 98 SE (XP wasn't out yet!). A couple of them I later regretted as I found ways to get them to work, but once I went to XP in 2003-4 it wouldn't have mattered anyway. I already have issues getting some XP-capable games to work right under 7. While I don't think Win8 will be an added issue, I'm betting when Win9 comes out no game that was made for XP pre-Vista (as opposed to tested on both) will really run anymore.

The alternative is of course a "legacy" PC running old hardware and OS, but the problem there is both space (where would I put the stupid thing) and parts failure. When the video or mobo dies, it's increasingly difficult to replace with a then-generation part, and a new part will likely not work with the other older parts or OS/drivers.

No, I think the only thing that really works is to play today's games today, and tomorrow's games tomorrow, while yesterday's games must be relegated to fond memories. :sad:

Setting up a Win95 virtual PC + DOSBox + Glide wrappers + tools for single core launch solves most of the problems. :grin: