Sign in to follow this  
MAKO69

Kiwi 18

Don’t think we’d be seeing the old Euro 1 paint job if we were ever to see the kiwi air combat wing re established somehow lol- it’s grey all the way these days

I wonder if going in with the Aussies on some planes to help alleviate logistics pressures and operating costs is the only way we'll see a Kiwi fighter again.

I wonder if going in with the Aussies on some planes to help alleviate logistics pressures and operating costs is the only way we'll see a Kiwi fighter again.

I don't think we will ever see a kiwi air combat wing again, all the experience and infrastructure is gone from the current RNZAF and to rebuild that would take many years, as not only would pilots have to be trained from scratch, but so would maintenance and support staff/networks etc

Even if the current government did decide to re establish it (as it is a National party government and was pro keeping and upgrading the combat air wing) I doubt it would be up and running before a switch back to a Labour government some time in the future would see it scraped again.

Oddly enough the New Zealand public was well and truly behind keeping/upgrading our air combat capability when the previous Labour government went ahead and axed it anyway. No doubt so they could increase unemployment benefit payments for some 'poor underprivileged' group that they needed votes from.

You want to create more jobs over there just give Peter Jackson more films to do. :grin: