Sign in to follow this  
navychief

Reflections on the Beatles

A few days ago I watched "Imagine", with John Lennon, on The Movie Channel.

Really brought back memories of a time in my life when worries were nonexistent. I was 11 years old, and my Aunt Sally offered to take my two sisters and I to see the Beatles perform at the Coliseum in Indianapolis.

The Beatles had not been in the states very long. In fact, we had seen them perform on the Ed Sullivan show just days prior.

It was September 3, 1964. The attached picture is of a ticket from that performance, but not actually one that we used. Our seats were in the "nose bleed section"; so far up, you almost needed supplemental oxygen, heh, heh.

But no matter to us. It was such a thrill to actually see the Beatles perform in person! They were the hottest thing to hit the US in our lifetime. One thing that sticks in my memory about that performance was the screaming. I think every girl/woman (except my Aunt Sally, of course!) in that coliseum began shrieking when they first saw Paul, John, Ringo, and George come on the stage; and did not cease until long after they left it. The noise was deafening. So much so, in fact, that it was literally impossible to hear the music. The sound systems in those days were not like present-day technology, and the most we could hear were an occasional note or two.

But no matter. We were enthralled at the spectacle of it all. I will never forget that I was witness to one of the strangest phenonema to hit this country.

It's sad to me how fast time flies. It just doesn't seem that long ago that I was playing football in my neighborhood, and would hear mom call us for dinner.

Both my parents are gone now. I haven't lived in Indy since 1979. My two sisters still live there, though.

My Aunt, bless her heart, is still in Indy, along with my Uncle Bob, who is a retired Navy Captain. He administered the Enlistement Oath to me in 1972 when I joined the Navy, and performed my Retirement Ceremony in 1997. Very special to me, my Uncle Bob (Captain R. O. Jackson, SR.)

Memories. They make up the fabric of our lives, don't they?

Navy Chief

He administered the Enlistement Oath to me in 1972 when I joined the Navy, and performed my Retirement Ceremony in 1997.  Very special to me, my Uncle Bob (Captain R. O. Jackson, SR.)

Memories. They make up the fabric of our lives, don't they?

Navy Chief

That must have been REALLY special Chief,Good for you!...

memories..the Good,The Bad the Ugly..yes they DO make us what and Who we are and I think All of us would much better recall those Good memories,from the traditional roast pork on x-mas day,to the thanksgiving day bbq at the beach..to the watching bow hope's x-mas specials to watching ann margaret or raquel welch just make you go damm! its good to be alive..memories,like remembering where you were or were doing when jfk,rfk and martin luther king were 'wasted' and that IS the proper word,they were decent men,no matter what one believes..memories like listening to dion's 'donna the prima donna' as you sipped the ole gallo wine in front of the stoop in brooklyn,trying to keep pace as we all sang that ole doo-wop music...the beatles,yeah they did it right didn't they....When one does NOT reflect on one's memories I guess its time turn the lights off,,cause you sure as hell wont be ALIVE...