Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

Using Cheat Codes

:unsure: So I cheated on Fallout 3(PC) version...I was broke...and gave myself 1.1 million caps...

I didn't make myself invincible or anything...just richer.

So when do you use cheat codes? When you have too, never, after you beat the game or right away.

Me? I like using them generally after I beat the game or when if have too..

In the case of Fallout 2 I found that it was best to "set my next chracter up" meaning the first chracter that I used to beat the game and has all the cool weapons and I'll leave some weapons behind for my next character. I don't get too carried away I only leave one or two things behind like the book the priest in Reno gives you(sometimes) ... and the gauss rifle and bazaar gun.

I rarly use cheats. It only happens when i have beaten a game and i want to fool around. Like in GTA, giving myself all the high explosive weapons. Keeps the game interesting even after beating it.

I rarely used cheats as well. Last time I used cheats was when I played doom in god mode at the nightmare difficulty level :lol:

Falcon

Very rarely now. I used to frequently to get all weapons, ammo etc. But then most of the challenge is gone and you find yourself using one thing all the time.

The only time I bother anymore is when a game becomes truly impossible to get past a section. ie when its blatently obvious the designers never bothered playing through that section of the game to realize you can't get a part with tons of the game's toughest most damage dealing enemies, without the level actually having ammo and medkits to pick up and use.

It's pretty rare, and more often than not the games that do have those impossible parts wind up having no cheats at all.

:unsure: So I cheated on Fallout 3(PC) version...I was broke...and gave myself 1.1 million caps...

I didn't make myself invincible or anything...just richer.

So when do you use cheat codes? When you have too, never, after you beat the game or right away.

I cheated the same way in Fallout3 too.

Normally I can't remember when was the last time I used cheats but in Fallout3 it's freakin harder to get some cash than in RL.

I was constantly freakin broke roaming around with nothing more than a dead radioactive rat with a rusty nail attached to it's head that gave more damage to me than to enemy...frustrations rose after I died about 28 057 136th time so I decided to get rich same way politicians do - cheat codes baby(or was it save game editor?)

:good:

Must admit in Fallout 3 I was never a poor man... I had money in abundance... and enough Ammo to wipe out half the map and then some...

As to using Cheat codes must admit I have looked at a few walkthroughs for a couple of older games but thats it...

Fallout 3 I played it Vanilla the only way... And I will be doing so again when New Vegas comes out on October the 23rd!!!

Yes, while walkthrus can often give hints that let you get thru a difficult section without cheat codes (although I consider such a narrow way a failure by the devs to design properly), I've also used cheat codes in the past for games with particularly ridiculous difficulty. Basically if I get killed trying to do something 5 times in a row and get no closer to success than I did the first time, I'm looking for a cheat of some kind to get past it, after which I will turn the cheat off.

I used to enjoy doing things like play on max difficulty with cheats on after I beat a game for extra fun, but that no longer works because devs make games differently now. Generally speaking, increased difficulty in current games decreases your weapon effectiveness while it increases the enemies'. It doesn't make them smarter, it doesn't make more to fight (because they consider how many you fight part of the "level design" now or something), it just means they can kill you with 3 shots instead of 6 and it takes you 6 shots to kill them instead of 3. Turning on god mode on max difficulty becomes pointless, as it just means all the guys take more hits to go down, that's it.

The recent Wolfenstein had a fun built-in cheat system that unlocked after winning the game. You could play again with all the weapons at max upgrades from the start of the game, have infinite money, and/or max out the supernatural powers you get thru the game. Basically you can start the game with everything maxed out the way it was when you reached the end. No god mode or unlimited ammo, though.

So, if I've beaten a game I've no qualms about using cheats the next time round just to experiment, or I'll use them if the game is stupidly difficult.

I cheated the same way in Fallout3 too.

Normally I can't remember when was the last time I used cheats but in Fallout3 it's freakin harder to get some cash than in RL.

I was constantly freakin broke roaming around with nothing more than a dead radioactive rat with a rusty nail attached to it's head that gave more damage to me than to enemy...frustrations rose after I died about 28 057 136th time so I decided to get rich same way politicians do - cheat codes baby(or was it save game editor?)

:good:

No fortune finder or scrounger perk? Just take those and you'll find it's not that hard to have enough caps and ammo to sustain yourself.