Sign in to follow this  
474th_Fiftycal

Looking for a good planning map

Hello to all, Does anyone know is there a printable version of the in game map that could be used to mark known locations of radar and sam sites. I have searched the KB threads and have been very interested in flying DID style but it seems to me a planning map would be much more detailed espically with marked locations of known enemy surface sites.

Not really. Wrench has made some updated ones, but nothing specific like you request. Best way to do it is to make a custom one like this one for example from the Kamchatka map, I used Kreelin's Mission Designer to get this screenie, and set the filter for SAMs. Then I hit Print Screen and pasted it in WIndows Paint. Print it off and you can get the idea on how to make your own.

post-5735-080612100 1285329423.jpg

Edited by EricJ

I assume you mean like DID Tornado. Fantastic planning screen in that,

Do the features in game, mountains, and rivers match real life? If so you could take real life map of relief features and overlay the screen from in game over it, in a graphics application. For reference at least it might be useful. I don't think (i don't know though) theres enough detail in game to allow for a better planning screen. I haven't used Kreelin's Mission Designer.

Edited by CobraA

I assume you mean like DID Tornado. Fantastic planning screen in that,

Do the features in game, mountains, and rivers match real life? If so you could take real life map of relief features and overlay the screen from in game over it, in a graphics application. For reference at least it might be useful. I don't think (i don't know though) theres enough detail in game to allow for a better planning screen. I haven't used Kreelin's Mission Designer.

Actually on looking at the screen grabs it looks like Kreelin's Mission Designer.might have the detail to do this?

http://homepage3.nifty.com/mildcat/WOV_PModel/QMissionD/QMD.htm

I think this is what you are looking for http://combatace.com...num__10__st__20

I actually laminate each terrain map that I use, and then use a dry-marker to draw mission info on the map like waypoints, altitudes and threats.......then you can turn off all the on-screen hud info and really get into your mission. :good:

Edited by romflyer

Thank you, downloaded streakeagles planning map, great idea with lamination and using dry erase markers to plan out missions.

Thank you, downloaded streakeagles planning map, great idea with lamination and using dry erase markers to plan out missions.

If you like map idea then you probably will enjoy cleaning up much of the on screen (extra) information.....if you open your huddata.ini in the flight folder you can manually adjust which information stays and what you dont like.

Here is some of the lines from my set-up with red explanations of what the changes are......make sure you save a back-up before you try any changes.

[infoDisplay]

BackgroundImage=TextBackground.tga

//BottomLeftPosition=0.01,0.985 slashes remove all the text in the bottom corners of the screen

//BottomRightPosition=0.99,0.985

DisplayWidth=0.20

VerticalBorder=0.0015

HorizontalBorder=0.008

EnemyTargetColor=1.0,0.0,0.0,1.0

FriendlyTargetColor=0.0,0.0,1.0,1.0

UnknownTargetColor=1.0,1.0,0.0,1.0

WaypointColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0

TextFile=HUDText.str

NormalColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0

WarningColor1=1.0,1.0,0.0,1.0

WarningColor2=1.0,0.0,0.0,1.0

AGLAltStart=609.6

AGLAltWarning=152.4

[Display001]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=TARGET_ENEMY

ConeSize=15 you can also remove the cone by using 0

BoxSize=2 changing the red box to a red dot on visual target

BoxType=SQUARE

BoxColor=1.0,0.0,0.0,0.75

ConeModelName=redcone

[Display002]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=TARGET_FRIENDLY

ConeSize=15

BoxSize=2

BoxType=SQUARE

BoxColor=0.0,0.0,1.0,0.75

ConeModelName=bluecone

[Display003]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=NEXT_WAYPOINT

ConeSize=0

BoxSize=0 gets rid of the waypoint markers

BoxType=TRIANGLE

BoxColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,0.75

ConeModelName=whitecone

[Display004]

DisplayType=RADAR

PosX=0.865

PosY=0.015

Width=0.0 gets rid of the top right radar screen

Height=0.0

Alpha=0.60

InitTime=2.0

[Display005]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=RADAR_TARGET

ConeSize=15

BoxSize=10

BoxType=DIAMOND

BoxColor=1.0,1.0,0.0,0.75

ConeModelName=

If you like the idea give it a try, it takes alot of the gamey feel out of it, and it looks and feels more like a simulater....IMHO :grin:

Thanks for the edit info will try it out, sorry i thought I had posted earlier on this. Again I appricate all your help.

If you like map idea then you probably will enjoy cleaning up much of the on screen (extra) information.....if you open your huddata.ini in the flight folder you can manually adjust which information stays and what you dont like.

Here is some of the lines from my set-up with red explanations of what the changes are......make sure you save a back-up before you try any changes.

[infoDisplay]

BackgroundImage=TextBackground.tga

//BottomLeftPosition=0.01,0.985 slashes remove all the text in the bottom corners of the screen

//BottomRightPosition=0.99,0.985

DisplayWidth=0.20

VerticalBorder=0.0015

HorizontalBorder=0.008

EnemyTargetColor=1.0,0.0,0.0,1.0

FriendlyTargetColor=0.0,0.0,1.0,1.0

UnknownTargetColor=1.0,1.0,0.0,1.0

WaypointColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0

TextFile=HUDText.str

NormalColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0

WarningColor1=1.0,1.0,0.0,1.0

WarningColor2=1.0,0.0,0.0,1.0

AGLAltStart=609.6

AGLAltWarning=152.4

[Display001]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=TARGET_ENEMY

ConeSize=15 you can also remove the cone by using 0

BoxSize=2 changing the red box to a red dot on visual target

BoxType=SQUARE

BoxColor=1.0,0.0,0.0,0.75

ConeModelName=redcone

[Display002]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=TARGET_FRIENDLY

ConeSize=15

BoxSize=2

BoxType=SQUARE

BoxColor=0.0,0.0,1.0,0.75

ConeModelName=bluecone

[Display003]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=NEXT_WAYPOINT

ConeSize=0

BoxSize=0 gets rid of the waypoint markers

BoxType=TRIANGLE

BoxColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,0.75

ConeModelName=whitecone

[Display004]

DisplayType=RADAR

PosX=0.865

PosY=0.015

Width=0.0 gets rid of the top right radar screen

Height=0.0

Alpha=0.60

InitTime=2.0

[Display005]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=RADAR_TARGET

ConeSize=15

BoxSize=10

BoxType=DIAMOND

BoxColor=1.0,1.0,0.0,0.75

ConeModelName=

If you like the idea give it a try, it takes alot of the gamey feel out of it, and it looks and feels more like a simulater....IMHO :grin:

This has been bugging me for a while now. What do you use to see this info? I open mine up just like anything else and it's a bunch of gibberish that comes up.

Somehow i just could never figure out exactly what had to be done.

You have to run the cat extractor to locate and extract the files, and then you can open the ini files with notepad and easily make the changes........it's been awhile now since I did it (you only need to run it once and then the files are always visible) I'm pretty sure there is instructions in the KB.

You have to run the cat extractor to locate and extract the files, and then you can open the ini files with notepad and easily make the changes........it's been awhile now since I did it (you only need to run it once and then the files are always visible) I'm pretty sure there is instructions in the KB.

Thanks Romflyer,

i went step by step after downloading the extractor (turns out i had the wrong thing)following Wrench's instructions in the KB.For some strange damn reason, i never saw that before. Talk about looking in all the wrong places! Then i adjusted what you advised.

It took me a while but things were A-OK after Ace Pilot took an F-105 and A-7 up and there was nothing up in the right corner.

:good::good::grin:

It'll be a while before i do the rest. I'm so used to the way things are.

I remember the first day I got rid of the dreaded radar screen....it was..........liberating, as for the rest of it, I would suggest to start with the text in the bottom left, it will feel.......naked at first, but soon you just start looking at the instruments to get most of the same info.

I'm sure that if you push past the innitial withdrawel of removing those......cheats, then you will start really enjoy the added realism.

Good luck

Romflyer

I remember the first day I got rid of the dreaded radar screen....it was..........liberating, as for the rest of it, I would suggest to start with the text in the bottom left, it will feel.......naked at first, but soon you just start looking at the instruments to get most of the same info.

I'm sure that if you push past the innitial withdrawel of removing those......cheats, then you will start really enjoy the added realism.

Good luck

Romflyer

I actually think that the info panel gives me more realism because my lack of TrackIR. I am unable to glance at the panels for a fast read so in theory that is what the info panel is for, the fast glance of information. But hey we all think different :drinks: But as soon as i get TrackIR its going awaY!