Sign in to follow this  
harryleith

XP vs Vista graphics

I have a dual-boot XP SP3 and Vista SP2 machine, but I generally work in XP. I installed SF2 (SF2 full series merged and updated) into the Vista partition to see what difference DX10 shading made to the game. I noticed interesting lighting effects, especially reflections on cockpit glass etc. but is there a real, noticeable difference running the game under Vista? I have taken screenshots under both, and XP still looks pretty good.

I was just wondering if anyone had opinions on this they were willing to share. Thanks gang.

I have an extensive library of screenshots on Facebook if anyone wants a look. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=404663&id=902945499&l=b3e22baa3a

I guess I should mention I run an nVidia 9800GT card with the latest stable driver set, shouldn't I?

I've experienced at least a 20% improvement in frame rates in SF2 under DX10 (Win7 & Vista), when compared to SF2 under DX9 or WinXP. Also, game loading times are cut in half under Win7, if your system is properly optimized.

The improvements of DX10 are subtle, but hard to go back to being without them. You also get bump mapping on planes, as well as a great tracer glow, more noticable at dawn, dusk or night. And the performance difference is the biggest benefit. Scenes that would have choked on XP with SF1 are perfectly smooth in 7 and SF2.

The improvements of DX10 are subtle, but hard to go back to being without them. You also get bump mapping on planes, as well as a great tracer glow, more noticable at dawn, dusk or night. And the performance difference is the biggest benefit. Scenes that would have choked on XP with SF1 are perfectly smooth in 7 and SF2.

Yes the night light effects and tracer glow are a massive improvement in SF2

I'm using a laptop with Nvidia GS 7900 and WOV2 it runs noticeablely quicker/smoother then WOV1 did.

I to have a dual boot (XP & Win7) and the BIGGEST reason that I like SF2V over WOV is the jump in FPS using the same terrain mods. As eraser_tr said, the same scenes in Win7 are about double of what they are in WOV XP. Even Win7 SF2V is faster than XP SF2V. As a result, other than the Helo problem, I've basicly moved over to the the SF2 series due to the improved FPS.

...As a result, other than the Helo problem, I've basicly moved over to the the SF2 series due to the improved FPS.

Same here. Especially as Windows 7 runs as well on older machine as XP does.

I'll jump in here with a question...

My menu fonts look fuzzy under Win7. I think someone posted a fix for that but I can't for the life of me find it.

Otherwise I'm new to Win 7 but enjoying it so far.

I should add, that my laptop only has a GS 7900 which ins't dx10, but its running Windows 7 and has a dual2 ore 2ghz. so I think thats why I'm seeing better performance in WOV2 than WOV1