A friend loaned me his TrackIR 4 rig for me to try out. he is an FSX fan, but couldn't get it working. I wanted to see TrackIR in action before i shelled out some AUD$$$ for it.

Having seen it in action, I am convinced. Being able to move my head to track targets is great, and I think it will make the difference in my dogfighting. Basically I used to get stuck "chasing the red cone" in a fight - losing sight of the target and cranking and banking using the direction cone to try and get back on him. With TrackIR I can follow him through the merge and see where he is going. I am also able to anticipate changes of flight direction which i missed before when he was out of my cone of vision.

It's not perfect - I am still getting used to the exaggerated view movement of the TrackIR rig - necessary for its operation, but still something to get used to. I still tend to overshoot my targets as I track them. There is also the "stickiness" of the centred view, which takes careful head-twisting if you only want to look very slightly off your direction of travel.

However, none of these are deal breakers. They are just something to get used to. My situational awareness was greatly heightened by TrackIR and if you haven't tried it - I thoroughly recommend it!

Installation was a snap and the default settings worked for Strike Fighters (SF2 full merged) straight out of the box. It couldn't be simpler.

I know everyone on the boards who has used it says you will never go back after you try it. What are your thoughts?

The SAME! I have TIR5 and it's PURLY GREAT (with any flight sim/game that is).....

So I am sitting here with my credit card and TrackIR4 is AUD$125 and TrackIR5 is AUD$220 - so I guess my question is - is the extra resolution of TrackIR5 worth an extra one hundred dollars?

Any thoughts, TrackIR5 users?

I cannot say much about the 4 - I've been using the 5 ever since... I HEARD there was not THAT much of an improvement of 5 over 4, but I decided to get it top-notch...

Let me tell you: the 95 bucks (what is it un USD or EUR?) will be forgotten soon, and you'll know you are running the latest version - at least that's MY philosophy.:drinks:

btw: I am using Track Clip Pro which offers a tremendously improved tracking in comparison to the reflective clip...

Thanks for the feedback Stingray - but budget is an issue for me at the moment, so I went with TrackIR4. However, I can always get 5 later. My budget issues are temporary - I hope!

Anyone selling theire TIR4? Lots of people buy TIR5 but noone seems to sell theire old ones

Maybe they give it to their kids to play CS...:lol:

As said: I started on 5, so I have no 4 to sell........

Any idea on how to increase the XYZ head movements through .ini editing?

I just use the TrackIR profiler. All axis have custom options and very easy to setup with the visual feedback of the interface.

One trick I can suggest is, turn off Trueview, thats how I could get it to zoom while looking sideways.

TrackIR is the bomb and I can't imagine flying without it :good:

Edited by pureblue

Any idea on how to increase the XYZ head movements through .ini editing?

go into the main folder of an aircraft and open the F-XX_cockpit .ini

[CockpitSeat001]

ModelName=Cock_F18

Position=0.0,4.15,1.05

ViewAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0

MaxYaw=190 <-------------------- adjust these to suit

MinYaw=-190 <--------------------

MaxPitch=90 <---------------------

MinPitchFront=-50 <---------------

MinPitchRear=-45 <----------------

LightRange=1.5

LightInnerConeAngle=50

LightOuterConeAngle=60

LightAngles=0.0,-30.0,0.0

DiffuseLightFactor=0.5

NightLightOn=0.25

NightLightColor=0.6,0.3,0.4

Gunsight=GunsightFront

Instrument[001]=AirspeedIndicator

Instrument[002]=AttitudeIndicator

Instrument[003]=TurnAndSlipIndicator

Instrument[004]=ADI_BankIndicator

Instrument[005]=VerticalVelocityIndicator

Instrument[006]=Altimeter

I got TIR 4 for my desktop, but am currently using Free Track for my laptop since it came with a webcam. Didn't really take much effort to build a rig for the software to track via the webcam. Wish I did Free Tack before shelling out the bucks for TIR 4 because the performance is the same, if not better in some ways, and the software is free!!! I only had to spend about $20 in buying the parts for the rig, which includes 3 red LED lights, wiring, and a USB cable (that's how I power it). I used the wire from a coat hanger to build the mounts for the lights. It clips on a hat just like the TIR 4 reflector clip.

Hello all,

I found this

http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/information_links/download.htm

could anybody try it and compare with TrackIR?

Or anybody even tried it? Is it worth of try? I can check

it in two days, just now I dont have laptop with webcam.

Monty CZ

(link was deleted, dont know why)

Edited by Monty CZ

So I tested that Facetracknoir and can say that its nice software

I can look around with my build in webcam in SF2 with no problem

If you dont wantr to spend 100 or so bucks it is an option.

Monty CZ

So I tested that Facetracknoir and can say that its nice software

I can look around with my build in webcam in SF2 with no problem

If you dont wantr to spend 100 or so bucks it is an option.

Monty CZ

So all you need is a webcam? No LEDs to wear on your head?

So all you need is a webcam? No LEDs to wear on your head?

Yes, all you need is a webcam and some light in your face

Hello all,

I found this

http://facetracknoir...ks/download.htm

could anybody try it and compare with TrackIR?

Or anybody even tried it? Is it worth of try? I can check

it in two days, just now I dont have laptop with webcam.

Monty CZ

(link was deleted, dont know why)

No way! I just bought moved from Free-Track to TrackIR 4! This would have been interesting to try out.

Yes, all you need is a webcam and some light in your face

Ok, I got it, now how did you get it to work for SF2? I can't seem to get it to run for it.

I set the Tracker source as Face API (then press START) and Game protocol as Fake Trackir

and if you run SF2 everything works

Monty CZ

I set the Tracker source as Face API (then press START) and Game protocol as Fake Trackir

and if you run SF2 everything works

Monty CZ

Got it... well, it's not as good a freetrack. The response is kind of clumsy, limited, and very very slow. I tried adjusting the settings to make it work fater and able to pan and tilt further, but it won't. I'm sticking with freetrack. This program has a lot of promise to it... just needs to be developed more.