Sign in to follow this  
Streakfalcon

@ wrench re F104 tip tanks

Hey bud, can you point me in the direction of the solution to third party tip tanks showing up 90 degrees off axis on the stock F104? I have made countless F4 camo tanks with a hex editor but if I use the stock tanks thery are of course shiny, and I need flat for camo tanks. All of the downloaded tanks turn sideways when I try to fit them on a thirdwire zipper using the same fuel tank type as stock so I can load either. No joy with this specific fix in the KB. I did a search and found many questions regarding this over the years but I cant seem to find how to solve it. Normally my procedure for making new tanks like I did with the F4 is to copy the LOD for the tank and tank skin, recolor and rename the skin, use a hexeditor to change the bitmap callout in the lod and then ensure the tank type was the same in the aircraft ini. Voila, I have multiple F4 tanks to choose from when loading the plane. If I use that approach with the stock F104, all my tanks are shiny, even the camo ones. So I have tried the tanks that come with the varios skins available here for down load. They look great and I can choos them in the loadout screen but they are all rotated 90 degrees. Is it because Im changing the Fuel tank type name in the weapon editor so I can use them on the stock zipper?

Edited by ikon71

check in the downloads section (under weapons mabye??? - been 3 or 4 years!) some years back I did 'green' tip tanks that have the correct fin facing. IIRC, the lods are reversed (right is left and versa vice-a)

I though the 08 patch fixed that????

wrench

kevin stein

edit: fount it!

http://combatace.com/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=4697

now, the green WILL be a bit glossy, as that's a material "issue" of the lods themselves

Edited by Wrench

At least one of my 'what if' Starfighters has matt tanks. Check out the orientation.

Hey bud, can you point me in the direction of the solution to third party tip tanks showing up 90 degrees off axis on the stock F104? I have made countless F4 camo tanks with a hex editor but if I use the stock tanks thery are of course shiny, and I need flat for camo tanks. All of the downloaded tanks turn sideways when I try to fit them on a thirdwire zipper using the same fuel tank type as stock so I can load either. No joy with this specific fix in the KB. I did a search and found many questions regarding this over the years but I cant seem to find how to solve it. Normally my procedure for making new tanks like I did with the F4 is to copy the LOD for the tank and tank skin, recolor and rename the skin, use a hexeditor to change the bitmap callout in the lod and then ensure the tank type was the same in the aircraft ini. Voila, I have multiple F4 tanks to choose from when loading the plane. If I use that approach with the stock F104, all my tanks are shiny, even the camo ones. So I have tried the tanks that come with the varios skins available here for down load. They look great and I can choos them in the loadout screen but they are all rotated 90 degrees. Is it because Im changing the Fuel tank type name in the weapon editor so I can use them on the stock zipper?

ikon71

I found a answer at a site called Jet Z , or something like that, using their F-104 data. Gives you an extra wingtip station so you can use stock or custom tanks and they all line up. See Marcfighters tigre with custom tanks painted be me

James Fox.