Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

Frank Lukes Boss

I saw a show on the T.V. about Frank Luke America s Balloon Buster in WWI. It mentioned that his C.O. in the squadron had been shot down by the Red Baron 4 times. I would absolutely love to hear that story ! Any other OFFERS hear about the story ?

As I recall Major Harold Hartney was brought down by MvR at least once. I read Hartney's "Up and At 'em" some years ago. I remember it being a solid read and I naturally reccomend it.

Edited by Rickitycrate

IIRC all of the Baron's official victims were members of the British Empire. Further, I recall reading that he had only two uncredited claims and both of those came early in his career, on the Eastern Front. I don't believe he was ever across the lines from an American unit.

Here is the only quote from Peter Kilduff's excellent book "The Red Baron" mentioning Hartney:

(14 February 1917) That afternoon, Richthofen and his men attacked a flight of artillery spotters

not far from the morning's action. Richthofen went after a B.E.2 and claimed to have sent it down

on to a snow covered field southwest of Mazingarbe, within British lines, at 1645 (German time).

Despite a lack of corroborative statements and any physical proof of the aircraft's destruction,

Richthofen was credited with his 21st victory.

One person who claimed to have been Richthofen's victim that day was Harold E. Hartney, an

American pilot who served with No.20 Squadron, RFC, before becoming commanding officer

of the US Air Service's First Pursuit Group. Hartney and his observer, Lt. W. T. Jourdan, were in

F.E.2d A1960, accompanying another 'Fee' over Ypres in the 4. Armee area, when they were

attacked by 'seven brilliantly painted Albatrosses'. * The F.E.s were brought down within British

lines near Poperinghe.

It is more likely that Richthofen's opponents were Capt. G. C. Bailey, DSO, and 2/Lt G. W. B.

Hampton, who were in B.E.2c 2543 of No.2 Squadron just north of Loos when they were attacked

at1550 (British time).

* Hartney "Up and At 'em" (1940) Page 92

Hartney must have believed, he was attacked by the Red Baron himself, because in those days, colourfully painted

Albatros were still a very new and irritating sight, and the news may have just spread, that von Richthofen's Jasta had

such fighters.

Edited by Olham

I agree with Rickitycrate, "Up And At 'Em" is a very good read. I have a first edition of Major Hartney's book on my shelf and I have read it several times.