Sign in to follow this  
Winston DoRight

The wheels of the US military bureaucracy turn slowly

Approximately 40 years ago I served in the United States Marine Corps and did a combat tour of duty in S. Vietnam as a rifleman initially, then I carried a grenade launcher, then one day our radio man was killed and I strapped on the 70 lbs plus of cypher radio gear and had no time to complain about it. I don't talk about it much anymore, it's still a painfull thing to remember although parts have faded into time (along with my hairline). Just a few days ago I received this with the explanation that there was an administrative error that kept this from being awarded to me in a timely manner.

I wonder what the medal will look like if/when it finally arrives? I hope I don't have to wait another 40 years for it.

post-46040-047797300 1285900871.jpg

post-46040-047974300 1285900899.jpg

Congratulations and Semper Fi! Well done, brother. For those who are unfamiliar with it, the Navy Achievement (now called the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement) Medal is for exceptional personal performance. As such it is based on individual merit, and requires a justification to be submitted up the chain of command and has to be approved by a commander at the appropriate level. The medal itself looks like this:

post-45761-088925500 1285903066.jpg

Congratulations WD.Well earned a dozen times over.

Fantastic. Thanks for your service and for sharing.

Congratulations, Winston - better late than never! I suppose you know you earned it,

and if it cannot wipe out the dark moments of your memories really, it may at least

shine it's light on you. They delayed it - but they haven't forgotten.

Here's a more official form I just found; you should receive something like this in the near future:

The military may be slow but they do remember everyone... and even if they forget they have the paperwork to prove it... this I think is true of most western militaries (I am not so sure about non Nato countries)...

Congratulations on the Medal but as an ex-serviceman even in trying times the people who know you help know you deserve it even if that person is on the other end of the Radio... So congrats again.

Congratulations and thanks for your service WD. Wear your medal with pride you earned it and your country's admiration for your service.

Let me offer my sincere congratulations as well Winston, and a full parade dress salute Sir. Well deserved to be sure. I too was overlooked, in my case for the USAF Commendation Medal, but that was decades ago in a Cold War far, far away. I don't expect to ever see the honor, but then I am no doubt in very good company.

Again WD, congratulation. Awardees buy the drinks!

:drinks:

SALUTE

Lou

way to go brother all this time i never knew i was flyign with a fellow marine

Massive respects and congratulations to you Sir.

But after 40 years!!! Good heavens. I'm sure there's a quiet little clerk in an archive office somewhere who's just earned a medal too.

George, thank you for your service. Although it was a lifetime ago I am grateful that your effort was finally acknowledged and rewarded. Display it proudly young man!

Semper Fi -

Nolan

76-96 USMC ret

Way to go George!

I have nothing but the highest respect for veterans, of any war. You are an example of what it take to be proud, to be a Marine!

My uncle was 2nd Recon, and like you... would rather talk about the NY Jets, than what he saw in The Nam.

All the best, have a drink on me!

James

OvS

As a lifelong civilian, I can only guess what hardships you had to endure in that Asian heat factory. My ex brother in law served and was wounded twice in the 'Nam (once in the chest by the flat part of a piece of shrapnel!) but he rarely talked about it--can hardly blame him.

Congratulations on your belated recognition, Winston!

It came in todays mail! I'll have to have a new display case made as my old one won't hold another piece.

Navy Achievement Medal with Combat "V" (valor)

2ccxv0j.jpg

Outstanding, WInston. Congratulations again Sir, and thank you for your service above and beyond.

Salute!

Lou