Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

One Shot one Kill... new scope design for Snipers...

...the current world combat record is generally thought to be held by Corporal-of-Horse Craig Harrison of the Household Cavalry, who killed two Taliban machine gunners at a distance of 2,474m last November. But Harrison himself admits that the conditions were freakishly kind (no wind, mild weather, clear visibility) and he had to shoot and miss several times before getting the necessary corrections nailed down. The previous record-holder, Canadian Rob Furlong, likewise needed several rounds to get on target for his 2,430 kill in the Shah-i-Kot valley in 2002.

That's like 1.5 miles. Just wow.

I was reading about an F-86 pilot in Korea War that shot up MiGs at maybe 1 to 2 miles distance, in very high altitude fights. The other guys couldn't get a grip on this, but this one guy relied on the thin air -- roundabout 1/4 density than seal level maybe -- and took advantage of it.

Awesome. Imagine the incredible shots Carlos Hathcock could've made with one of these.

That's cool. CCIP for snipers.

You'll still need patience and iron nerves as always, though. Something tells me these cause many missed shots too.

Was the Korean War F-86 driver Joe McConnel?

I read that he used to test his guns at 40,000 ft to get the range and accuracy.

The really good sniper moves in closer if possible so he doesn't have to shoot that far.

Don't recall. Whoever the fella was, he got a MiG or two doing this, or so I think I read.

I thought standard sniper ammo these days was .50 cal or 12.7mm...  :blink:

[cue monty python]And now for something completely different...[/cue monty python] 1000th Post!!! Yeeehaw!!!