Sign in to follow this  
Over50

How many OFF folks fly with rudder pedals?

Just curious if a poll has been done to get an idea of the percentage of OFF flyers do so with rudder pedals and if yes, would appreciate the thread link.

Over50, I've been using the Saitek Pro Flight pedals for a year, and I can't imagine flying without them now. A giant improvement over the twist stick.

Guest British_eh

Saitek control system with CH Pedals, and they seem to like each other. I like Pedals and think it is more immersive tha TIR, which is an absolute must, but perhaps pedals first :)

Cheers,

British_eh

Thanks all for the replies. As you can see by my sig I'm a CH fan (and have been since day one) including the rudder pedals. I also jumped in the TIR5 pool earlier this year and posted accordingly with my prescription glassess issues and other related questions. Frankly, of the two (TIR and rudder pedals), for me personally the rudder pedals are the most beneficial overall taken as a whole. But that's another thread topic. Again, thanks to all for taking time to reply.

Edited by Over50

I'm still a "stick twister". I had done so since the earliest sims and am totally used to it.

I have Saitek pedals, but couldn't get to grips with them at all.

The reason for that maybe, that there are other functions like brakes, which lead to strange reactions in OFF.

I had got advice about that, but never found the time to give it another try.

I suppose I would have to learn aiming and shooting completely new, and that didn't seem worth it.

If anybody here could tell me again, what I have to change to get rid of the brake commands, I will store it this time.

And when I have those longer winter evenings, I may give it another try then.

But TrackIR would be far higher for me than pedals.

By the way: did you solve your problems with the reflection of the glasses, Over50?

There must not be any light source or light reflection in front of you, which can reflect from the glasses towards the device..

Edited by Olham

Olham, I am surprised you are not using your pedals, as deeply as you seem to be into the realistic and immersive side of this sim. It is very easy to get rid of the toe functions by simply going into the Saitek control panel and setting the "zero range" on the toe functions to max width. Then disable the twist fucnion on your JS and you are good to go. Also, I don't place my heels up on the pedals but rather rest them on the slide base extensions and fly while wearing thick cushy socks. Makes it much easier to get fine rudder control and is more comfortable in a long flight.

Over50, I fly with glasses and have the light source in the room directly above me. I have never had reflection issues with my TIR set-up. I hope you got yours all sorted out Sir

Also, I don't place my heels up on the pedals but rather rest them on the slide base extensions and fly while wearing thick cushy socks.

Okay - so much for immersive realism. Mmuahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!! :grin:

Thanks for the instructions, Lou! I'll save them and try pedals once more soon.

hee, hee...yes, well I also fly whilest sipping a cuppa' too. There's immersion and then there's immersion, and then there's simply enjoying the moment.

Oh yeah - a freshly brewed Kenia volcano coffee and a piece of nut cake - the luxuries of those who only PLAY "dead is dead". :grin:

As I mentioned in another recent thread here, I play "Mostly Dead". :grin:

Can you lead me to that post - I'd like to know how "mostly dead" is to be set up. Although - I think I have it already... :grin:

I still never tried the other outcomes, apart from "dead is dead" which I always used.

I remember someone explained the variations and their effects, but can't find it again.

nyuk, nyuk, nyuk...it was from "A Few OFF Questions" thread, and it went like this Olham...

I prefer "Mostly Dead " rather than "Dead is Dead". Mostly Dead is still slightly alive. With Dead is Dead, well, with Dead is Dead there's usually only one thing you can do, go through his clothes and look for loose change.

Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.

Just me being my ridiculous self, yet again. :tease:

Feel free to pay no attention.

Okay, okay, some thing are difficult for me to understand, cause they may be of American origin (nyuk, nyuk? Inuit?);

others may be from books you read or films you watched - here, the benefits of "Wikipedia" come in helpful.

So, for all you others, who may have wondered about Lou's funny sentences:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inigo_Montoya

I had neither read the book, nor have I seen the movie - would you recommend it? It sounds pretty - ahm - well - strange?

"nyuk, nyuk, nyuk," is one of Curly's catch phrases from "The Three Stooges", (old American slapstick humor). Here's an example:

And "The Princess Bride" is a great movie, but very quirky. However, I'm rather quirky myself.

Edited by RAF_Louvert

Man, the Three Stooges are something I missed - they were never translated into German TV I think!

They're funny - must watch them all!

Oh, and I also pick out the "quirky" ones mostly - you're not alone.

Man, the Three Stooges are something I missed - they were never translated into German TV I think!

They're funny - must watch them all!

Oh, and I also pick out the "quirky" ones mostly - you're not alone.

they were and they came regurlarly until early 90ies. mainly in "spass am dienstag ", where also came pumuckl, dangermouse etc, :cool:

Olham, I am surprised you are not using your pedals, as deeply as you seem to be into the realistic and immersive side of this sim. It is very easy to get rid of the toe functions by simply going into the Saitek control panel and setting the "zero range" on the toe functions to max width. Then disable the twist fucnion on your JS and you are good to go. Also, I don't place my heels up on the pedals but rather rest them on the slide base extensions and fly while wearing thick cushy socks. Makes it much easier to get fine rudder control and is more comfortable in a long flight.

Over50, I fly with glasses and have the light source in the room directly above me. I have never had reflection issues with my TIR set-up. I hope you got yours all sorted out Sir

To both you and Olham, yes, I did find a happy medium with TIR5 settings relative to my posted prescription glasses complaints. After a lot of experimenting I basically reverted to a "near" basic/default setting, or maybe better put, a compromise setting. Without rehashing the contents of my earlier threads on the subject my main issue was motion disorientation (with a touch of nausea at times) with rapid front-to-back change of view trying to maintain my target - and attacker - positional awareness in a furball. As mentioned, the compromise for me was a TIR setting where my head swing was in the range of 90 to 120 degrees maximum and a programmed "enemy air" quick view button on the joystick. Not an "authentic air combat experience" simulation to be sure, but what works for me. This in tandem with the benefit of better turn rate with the rudder pedals allowed me some measure of success trying to stay alive, with emphasis on "trying to stay alive". :grin:

Edited by Over50

Now, that is an interesting point, UncleAl: do the stick types or pedals give different amounts of rudder?

And does it only look different, or do you actually get more or less rudder in flight?

Here is my rudder - fully right - would love to see pics of Albatros D.V from the same angle, with different gear.

UncleAl: You Must ask yourself, is the 30 degrees of travel given by you 'twisty stick' acceptable to you

Well, so far I never knew it could be different.

I can only fly the Albatros versions like a veteran, and with them I can out-turn every Nieuport type in a left turn.

(Never in a right one - there they will beat me any time, unless they are damaged)

If I would get an even tighter turn with pedals, I guess I could outturn them both ways round - which wouldn't

seem quite right, would it?

Any expertise on this question, anyone?

AC with inline engines should go right as good as left.

@ olham:i think the difference is in your case that if flying with the right hand, you are not able to twist the stick as easy to the right, as you can to the left.

the other thing is that i would recommend to everybody to use pedals to have a much much better taste of realism. it is IMO much easier, too easy, to have the control about everything in one hand, than having hand-eye-and feet coordination, as it was in real.

also, to emulate at least a piece of the problems they had in real, i would recommend not to put every command on a joystickbutton. just the trigger and throttle.

for blipping, giving signals, magnetos, leaning throttle etc. i would suggest to set some keys on your keyboard, so you have to reach forward and do something while flying, as they did in real.

we forget too easily, how much of an advantage it is to have all controls in one hand on one thumb. completely different than having to do something actively with reaching, looking at the gauges, pushing buttons and switches and pumping etc..

also we don't think about the fact that the real flying stick was about a yard or so long. to move the aircraft one had to move the stick a weigh longer way to all sides with the hand and arm, while we have a joystick where we move it with some little fingerpressure to all sides. it's so much easier to have a feeling if you use only some fingers instead a long stick which you have to hold with one or two hands and which you have to move relatively far to all sides. that's a thing we can't emulate as long as not building a real cockpit.

but a thing i was able to fix to make it more realistic is to remove the automatic centering which all joystick have and which makes you also fly a lot easier than in real. in real in most AC if you want to have the stick centered, you had to hold it in center, while on a joystick you just just release the pressure and it centers itself. a hughe difference in controling you AC.

i liftet the plastic part and spring with a rubberband of my saitek, so when releasing my stick, it stays where it is instead of centering back alone. if i want to have it in center, i have to move it into center by myself, like it was in real. that makes landing, flying etc. lot more harder and that explains more why they had in real more landing accidents, turnovers with the camel etc.

for all realism buffs, if able to, try it. you'll experience a more realistic feeling of flight. :good:

AC with inline engines should go right as good as left.

@ olham:i think the difference is in your case that if flying with the right hand, you are not able to twist the stick as easy to the right, as you can to the left.

Yes, okay, I wasn't talking clear. The Nupe can't go left round as well as right round, so I always get it in left turns.

What I wanted to say is, that with my rudder angle, I CAN get into their (left) turns - and that should prove my rudder is enough.

Or can you pedal-users also get them in their right turns?

Just to comment, my first and only twist stick was a first generation M$ Sidewinder which as noted did what it was intended to do with DOS and W98 vintage sims. After that I just relied on auto rudder in future sims which also was sufficient right up through the IL2 series sims and even FSX. But when I installed OFF it became immediately clear the was little to no chance of survival flying with auto rudder. But never having had rudder pedals to compare results with a twist stick I sat on the fence for a period of time before deciding on the CH rudder pedals. And truthfully, the decision was more of a "oh why not" than anything else.

I also have to admit that I don't really like having to contend with the hassle of pedal setups in the more current sims (there is no standard.... :mad: ) as well as the footprint and physical motion piece of the equation.