Sign in to follow this  
VOODOOchill

advice needed on wings over vietnam

hi everyone i brought a copy of wings over vietnam this morning ,

even tho everywhere states that it doesnt work on windows vista or 7 i can confirm that it works fine on my copy of windows 7 64 bit ??

anyway could someone explain the art of killing in these old jets ?

what i mean is i had a go on quick mission migcap and i can select missiles etc and the target has a yellow box around it but im not sure about what to do next...

do i just have to get in close and try and get a lucky shot ??

or will the box turn from yellow to red and ill get a lock tone and then i fire ??

and i love how close you have to get to shoot down the bandits with the cannon etc proper dog fighting :)

many thanks

darren

For dogfight with guns its a simple rule: closer is better!

hi everyone i brought a copy of wings over vietnam this morning ,

even tho everywhere states that it doesnt work on windows vista or 7 i can confirm that it works fine on my copy of windows 7 64 bit ??

anyway could someone explain the art of killing in these old jets ?

what i mean is i had a go on quick mission migcap and i can select missiles etc and the target has a yellow box around it but im not sure about what to do next...

do i just have to get in close and try and get a lucky shot ??

or will the box turn from yellow to red and ill get a lock tone and then i fire ??

and i love how close you have to get to shoot down the bandits with the cannon etc proper dog fighting :)

many thanks

darren

I believe the manual covers this.

I believe the manual covers this.

yeah i found the part in the manual about missiles etc but i didnt find it very clear ?

but thanks for the help guys :drinks:

and do ppl still play this game online ??

WOV runs okay on WIn7 - but its not supported by Thirdwire on Vista/Win 7 - and there will not be any patches updates to it.

Start here with these articles by an ex F-104/F-4 pilot:

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_061a.html

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_055a.html

Then see loads of old threads - then practise a lot - easy :good:

If you have Windows 7 why did you not buy Strike Fighters 2: Vietnam - its vastly improved. :dntknw:

WOV runs okay on WIn7 - but its not supported by Thirdwire on Vista/Win 7 - and there will not be any patches updates to it.

Start here with these articles by an ex F-104/F-4 pilot:

http://www.simhq.com...r/air_061a.html

http://www.simhq.com...r/air_055a.html

Then see loads of old threads - then practise a lot - easy :good:

If you have Windows 7 why did you not buy Strike Fighters 2: Vietnam - its vastly improved. :dntknw:

hey thanks migbuster :good:

will check out those links you sent me

and i didnt even know this game existed untill i found it in the bargain bin at my local indie game shop soon as i saw you could fly the f4 i had to buy it .......

so to answer your question about strikefighters 2 i didnt even know it was around do ppl still play that game online ? if so i could allways do a search and get that game too:bye:

i was originally looking for a copy of falcon 4.0

but my main interest is in the golden age fighters like

f4 phantom

f1 voodoo

saber/supersaber

etc

so when i saw this it looked like the perfect option :clapping:

If you are an online player there are a few people about that still play it on WOV - check some old threads or the virtual squadron chat area.

The SF2 series had online play removed from it - due to some changes in Windows Vista/Win7 - Thirdwire doesn't have the budget to program the whole thing in again yet.

This series is designed to be moddable (hence the many free downloads on this site) - so people create their own individual installs to whatever they like. This also means that when it comes to online - you need to have the same installs - so its not always practical for people to keep enough installs.

Also you need to trust the other person doesn't show up to your dogfight in a Spitfire that flies like an F-22 because they've just changed the flight model :grin:

Falcon 4: Allied Force from 2005 is the latest Official version of Falcon

Edited by MigBuster

Once you are used to how things work, get WOV GOLD for a whole new experience!

thanks mate :drinks: i will look out for it

on a side note i ordered falcon4.0 allied forces today for the bargin price of £2.00 !!:yikes:

how could i resist ?

@ vodoochill

I see from your post that you have managed to get WoV to play on Win 7

I appear to of managed to successfully install it on Win 7, the Icons appear on the desktop but the game will not load, Any ideas???

It won't work until you patch it to the latest level (October 2008 patch).

FC

and make double damn sure the game is NOT installed to C/Program Files(x86)/whateverthegamenameis but to the ROOT of C.

exmaple:

C:\Wings Over Europe

Otherwise, you won't be able to add anything too it.

wrench

kevin stein