Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

Nvidia GPU Class-Action Settlement Offers Repairs, New Laptops

gallery_1_54_9537.png

PC Magazine Article

By: Mark Hachman

The results of a successful 2008 class-action suit against Nvidia for faulty graphics chips are now being made available to consumers, although the compensation will vary dramatically.

The suit, filed in Sept. 2008, covers a defect Nvidia discovered in the packaging material of several notebook GPUs built in 2007 and 2008.

While the suit applies to dozens of notebooks computers from several manufacturers (see graphic) the compensation those notebook owners will receive depends on the manufacturer of the notebook itself. In any case, a user with an affected GPU does not have to settle, but must exclude himself or herself by Nov. 5.

More information (including claim forms) can be found at NvidiaSettlement.com.

Users with a notebook manufactured by either Dell or Apple, and containing one of the affected chips, are eligible for a replacement of the affected part.

However, if a user owns a notebook that was manufactured by Hewlett-Packard, that user is eligible for an entirely new notebook "similar in kind and value" to the one that was affected.

Users are also eligible to compensation for repair expenses accrued while trying to solve issues associated with the faulty Nvidia chips. But those funds will be paid out of a general pool, and the amount per person will depend on the claims received, according to the settlement notice.

Users will have to prove that the affected notebooks are suffering from problems related to the faulty media controller or GPU, including distorted or scrambled video, random characters, or, in certain cases, an inability to detect a wireless network.

I've not gone thru the site yet to find out if my Dell laptop is on the list (although the model and manufacture date are in the right range), but as to date I've not had any problems with it I doubt I'll be eligible or that I'd bother even if I was.

I've not done a massive amount of gaming with it, just on trips, and so far the 8600GT in it has held up fine.

Yea, I have an m1530 I game on, and the 8600GT has been great...it fell outside the manufacture range listed in the settlement, so I assume they had fixed the process by that point.

FC