I would really like to get this sim once released, but I would like to know if there are going to be any in-depth training missions with the sim.

I have only ever played lock on a few times and found it difficult to go from the thirdwire sims to that because of the learning curve.

My question is this does this sim have a steep learning curve? Are there going to be training missions that will start off with basic flight and go into detail such as the lock on sims?

Thanks in advance

Mike

They've said there will be. I've not acquired the beta, so I can't say for certain.

I will say this, though--DCS is harder than Lockon was. A LOT harder and far steeper learning curves. I'd recommend Flaming Cliffs 2 as an intro to what DCS will be like, since it's both cheaper and easier than DCS (albeit harder than the LOMAC 1.0 release from years ago). You need to invest a lot of time, though. Landing in LOMAC is far easier than in DCS. The only plane I ever mess up on landing in LOMAC is the Su-25/T from Flaming Cliffs because of the advanced flight model. The other planes have a standard, simplified one that means you can make MISERABLE approaches and land successfully. I mean, I've taken that A-10A on a steep dive and touched down at the center of the runway, but off center-line, not properly lined off, and come to a nice rollout onto a taxiway with battle damage! In DCS, you'd be dead on impact. :grin:

Thanks for the reply JM

I would like to invest some time in a 'hardcore' sim and I think DCS-A10 will most probably be the one. Its just finding the time to invest in it!

Employers should offer an extra few weeks holiday to be taken when an employee wishes to play a new release..... :grin:

I guess il just have to find the time to train myself up. I think the red bull market will do pretty well out of me for the next few weeks while I stay up to play the sim :lol:

Mike

I have purchased the Beta but have not yet had time to install it :sad: . My understanding is that the difficulty level is scaleable and that there is even an arcade type mode like the one in DCS: Blackshark which I believe to be similar to the SF2 series in easy mode. I'm not sure if these modes have yet been implemented in the Beta. I will have more time on Thurs. to explore.

The training missions are supposed to be included but i'm not sure if they are all finished yet.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Hellman

Keep us informed Hellman!

Will do dave.

Here's a link to the link of the "BETA" manual (2nd post... not sure I can directly link it here) which of course is still not finished but it will give you an idea of how complete this sim will be and give you a chance to read up on the A10C. Its about 700 pages deep! Lots of posts too in regards to questions about the "BETA".

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=58315

I don't know how it will go for the A-10, but I personally found that only 2 levels of flight modeling for the Ka-50 was overly restrictive. The full-real mode has a VERY steep learning curve, but the easy was too easy to handle. My main issue with it was you could point the nose 90 degrees down or up and the altitude wouldn't change at all, the collective would set an altitude that no maneuvering would change. While it made it easy not to crash, it was so counterintuitive I couldn't take it! :grin: I wished there was an "intermediate" option. In the end, I just committed to learning the full real mode. Avoiding vortex ring state is tough at times and I've lost a few helos to it!

The A-10 being fixed wing the easy FM might work better.

I've got the open beta version and there are quite a few training missions with it. Walks you through ramp start (broken because of one toggle), through starting, navigation, landing (I believe broken - I never make it back to base ;), weapons deployment.

On the missions I almost exclusively play the easy quick mission and manage to kill off four targets, but have not overcome the fifth yet (an armored column protected by SAMs and AAA). As you start the mission airborne there are not too many switches to toggle before starting to deal damage to the first pair of trucks. So the learning curve for that particular mission is not that steep, it just gets more intense from target to target.

Compared to the Thirdwire sims (which I like a lot), your workload is definitely heavier. Instead of toggling through targets with T you have to move around your targeting pods sensors and lock them on a target. There are a lot of options for the weapons themselves, and you can manipulate their 'profiles'. However, I've never done this so far and the weapons still do damage.

If you have a second computer (laptop, netbook maybe), you can watch one of the training videos on youtube while performing the actions in the sim. This worked fine for me for the on ramp start and flight planning. As there is definitely a learning curve for DCS A-10C I hope that more of these step-by-step guides will appear there, making the curve less steep. Eventually I hope to learn to survive in the A-10 and make a landing :)