Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Rabu's Maps - Olhamized - Ready now!

I have now almost finished a project I had started some time ago.

I wanted to make one map of Rabu's map parts, with the airfield names positioned right at the fields, in the map.

This is all done now.

I have then replaced the Iron Crosses marking the German fields, with blue aircraft symbols.

I had seen that in the trench maps of McMaster University. I would like to use blue for German,

and red for Entente airfields.

Would that be okay for everyone, or would you Entente pilots prefer to have your maps the other way round?

In that case I would place two maps in the download sector.

The map is square, 38 x 38,8 cm; so it could be printed out on 4 letter size sheets, and get glued together.

I'm also thinking of offering the center in two larger parts; what do you think?

Here is a small excerpt from the map:

Edited by Olham

That's cool Olham. It would make accurate claims locations more possible. Possible corroborating witnesses at friendly airfields would be a plus! Maybe. The powers that be will do what they wish, regardless, pertaining to claims and confirmations.

The color doesn't really matter, but when I used to play the board game Dogfight the Entente was green and red for the Germans IIRC.

Edited by Cameljockey

Thanks, CJ! I just found, by the way, that in the Entente trench maps the German aircraft were red.

(Here is an excerpt: OvS' airfield)

I think one would always draw the enemy red, yourself rather blue?

Edited by Olham

SWEET! I'll take a dozen of them Olham. They'll make wonderful Christmas gifts.

Hihi! Thanks, Lou - always trying to improve your Christmas; but it may even come better!

I have just made a test, made Rabu's map semi-transparent, placed it over your Western Front Map,

brought both to the same size, and began to place the airfields there. Here is a sample:

Great work Olham.

m

Olham,

Nice one. Come on then - where can we download these super new amalgams?

Cheers,

Si

Hihi! Thanks, Lou - always trying to improve your Christmas; but it may even come better!

I have just made a test, made Rabu's map semi-transparent, placed it over your Western Front Map,

brought both to the same size, and began to place the airfields there. Here is a sample:

Very nice Olham. Are you leaving that map I built full size? It's monsterously big and would take up the better portion of a wall if you did, (which would be fine with me and my tired old eyes).

Patience, mighty - the Rabu map is almost ready and will be posted for download soon.

The large Western Front map will take me a while of work, cause it's very detailed, and I don't want to

place the airfields too wrong. So I'm still searching for some info, at least on the well known ones.

I have only found Roucourt, Toulis and Bailleul Asylum yet.

Wow, very nice Olham, and thanks for working on this.

Since some airfields change hands as the front moves, how will you choose an airfield color in those cases?

Having the frontlines on the map would be the ultimate, but I suspect that would be a huge amount of work so not suggesting anyone attempt it, just dreaming out loud.

You are touching a problem there, 77Scout - I am thinking of making 4 variations of the map, with the front line included.

But where do I get the exact front lines?

I am thinking of making 4 variations of the map, with the front line included.

But where do I get the exact front lines?

Olham, if you can manage that then you will be my OFF 'main man"!

Hmmm.... Considering the maps will be used by OFF pilots, wouldn't it be easiest to just get frontline locations from OFF itself rather than trying to use historical maps? You'd want your new map to match the in-game locations so when we are navigating the frontlines things are located where the maps shows them. Same logic applies to the aerodrome locations I would propose.

I can think of two possibilities. The first is to look at the 12 in-game maps and copy the somehow frontlines as Winder has drawn them. The second is to look in the data files and use the frontline coordinates (but how?). I'm not smart enough to come up with more than that.

Keep in mind, the front lines change as the war progresses and the in-sim maps reflect this with 13 different front line periods represented in OFF, (the devs did their homework and then some). The way I handle this with my flying maps is to grab a pic of the in-sim map for the period and AO I am flying in, (I use HyperSnap for this). Then I open up Paint.NET and take that pic and drop it on top of my Western Front map in it's own layer, and stretch it to fit and line up by using the towns as guide points. Once I have that I create another new layer and draw the front lines in by tracing over the in-sim map image, afterwhich I delete the layer with the in-sim map and I am left with my large Western Front map with the front lines where they belong for that period of the War. Easy Peasy.

Well, that's easy for you, Lou - but maybe other users don't know how to do that?

On the other hand, I can't make 13 maps - a single map is quite large already; not to speak of 13 !

Perhpas we need to deliver them with 13 front line pics, and a guide how to overlay that?

Don't know.

It's like so often in life: you start something with great enthusiasm, and the more you get into it,

the more you collide with harsh realities, which make it almost impossible.

The RABU & OLHAM map parts are uploaded now.

(Well, maybe it takes some time to get them checked by the admins).

They are 4 equally sized parts with 200 dpi. You can print them out and glue them together.

Enjoy!

Edited by Olham

Thanks very much Olham. I have downloaded the maps and will give them a 'test flight' this weekend :)

Thank you very much for the maps, Olham!

I have hesitated using printed maps to navigate with, but may try now thanks to your efforts.

Brill - I'll be downloading later.

As for front lines; the obvious solution to me is to print the map out and then using several different sheets of transparent/plastic sheet, draw the front lines on freehand, and simply overlay onto the map. Voila - accurate lines on an accurate map. Simples.