Sign in to follow this  
Cobra427so

Built a new computer - need CFS3 / OFF setup help

Hi All,

My old rig while healthy, was showing it's age, it was difficult to try and fly. I missed flying OFF so much, I built a smoking new rig. I'm trying to get it all set-up to fly, unfortunately it's not totally cooperating and I'm hoping one of the guru's here can help me out. I installed CFS3, updated to 3.1 and left the graphics to the default settings to begin with. CFS loads, but when you get to the animated menu portion, the screen flicks a couple times and goes black. I installed OFF (hoping it would work better) and all the menus work, (an improvement) but when launching to the airfield is where it stumbles. The airfield and cockpit appear, the background sounds are present and it seems the controls are usable, but the screen flicks and goes black. Exiting brings me back to working menus.

Any and all help is welcomed...

Rig Specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4g

Gigabyte 790xta-ud4 Mobo

2 - STT D3-1333 2g memory - 4g

2 - WD750gig SATA HD

Asus Nvidia GTS450 1g DDR5 (Latest Drivers)

Antec 850w Power

Windows 7 Premium 64bit (Latest Updates)

Thanks Guys,

Cobra427so

Sounds like a graphics Driver problem to me.

Newest Drivers don't always mean best drivers....I would certainly try some other earlier WHQL ones to start with.

Can you install another newer game to check if that works?

The only other thing that springs to mind, is the W7 64bit

Dunno if thats a problem with CFS3? (someone will know)

good luck

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Sounds like a graphics Driver problem to me.

Newest Drivers don't always mean best drivers....I would certainly try some other earlier WHQL ones to start with.

Can you install another newer game to check if that works?

The only other thing that springs to mind, is the W7 64bit

Dunno if thats a problem with CFS3? (someone will know)

good luck

CFS3 works great in Windows 7 64 bit as long as the cfs3.exe file is set to run as administrator. Some users set XP SP3 compatibility, as well, but I haven't found that to be necessary

Go into the Config.exe and change you graphics settings to what you think you should use. Mine are 553455 or pretty high. I found that if you leave the default settings in the game will really stumble, you may have it set too low for your graphics card.

Beard

You may need to go to "Workshop", there to Graphics Config; then to "Change display options".

There set your screen resolution up right. Then it might work.

Cobra427so run Graphics Config in OFF Manager Workshop settings. Setup your sliders as the guys say. Fundamental part of setup, and there's help at the top end of the FAQ if you need.

You ran CFS3 and it didn't run - that's a red warning flag. OFF will not magically work differently without configuration but anyway do the above should be good.

Uncleal not sure what you are on about. We have not tried to push using the Overall slider in discussions. In fact I think it's pretty useless so always totally ignore it when asked.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the input. I've started it as administrator but that didn't change anything. Next I went through the Config settings as per the advice in the knowledge base, as well as the 3D settings in the Nvidia dashboard. Nope. The sim starts to launch, I see the sky and cockpit, hear the sounds and it goes black. Then it comes back for a few frames then goes black. It will continue to do that.

I installed and loaded IL2-1946 - it started right up and runs fine, but that's as far as I've gotten so far. Started a flight with about 64 planes in the air it ran silky smooth. Reeeeaaaallllyyy want to fly OFF in all it's glory, this is making me sad.

Cobra427so

Cobra427so, welcome to OFF. New guys buy the drinks.

I'm afraid you are going to have to uninstall CFS3 and OFF and then reinstall each, paying careful attention to updating each as you go. I had a similar issue after installing new hard drives and had to do as noted. Also, you do not need to install CFS3 at all if you don't want to. Just have the disc ready to pop into the drive when OFF asks for it during install.

Nice system, BTW.

Now then, I think a nice pinta' red should do me this evening, thank you very much. :drinks:

Cheers!

Lou

May I offer the question: Are you running with W7 generic chipset driver vs downloading and installing the mobo mfr. chipset driver before installing all other hardware drivers?

Also, just to mention, I built the rig in my sig early this year and after installing W7 64 bit one of the first games I loaded was OFF beginning with CFS3, then installed the CFS3 update, then OFF, then added the HITR expansion. Of note the game ran fine from the get-go without resorting to compatibility mode or going through any other giration. And not included in my sig is I'm also running with TIR5, again with the straight W7 x64 OS.

Edited by Over50

Cobra427so, welcome to OFF. New guys buy the drinks.

I'm afraid you are going to have to uninstall CFS3 and OFF and then reinstall each, paying careful attention to updating each as you go. I had a similar issue after installing new hard drives and had to do as noted. Also, you do not need to install CFS3 at all if you don't want to. Just have the disc ready to pop into the drive when OFF asks for it during install.

Nice system, BTW.

Now then, I think a nice pinta' red should do me this evening, thank you very much. :drinks:

Cheers!

Lou

Then how do you get around the need to have CFS3 updated to 3.1 before OFF will install?

Edited by Over50

I don't have a 3.1 CFS disk - mine was pre-patch release, so I have to install and update before installing OFF - which I did... unless maybe that 3.1 update I downloaded was fubar. The computer was built with manufacturer mobo drivers and updated, can't think of anything that might be wrong. I will try a fresh install of CFS tomorrow I guess. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

On the upside, IL2 1946 is fully installed and patched to the hilt and running like silk.

Cobra427so

I don't have a 3.1 CFS disk - mine was pre-patch release, so I have to install and update before installing OFF - which I did... unless maybe that 3.1 update I downloaded was fubar. The computer was built with manufacturer mobo drivers and updated, can't think of anything that might be wrong. I will try a fresh install of CFS tomorrow I guess. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

On the upside, IL2 1946 is fully installed and patched to the hilt and running like silk.

Cobra427so

Well, I'm sticking to my original thought...Driver issue

Then how do you get around the need to have CFS3 updated to 3.1 before OFF will install?

Over50, it's likely the 2007 Microsoft release I have of CFS3 is already updated to 3.1. All I can tell you is, I have done it both ways: with the full CFS3 install; or allowing OFF to install the 2 or 3 files it needs from the CFS3 disc; it's worked the same either way and OFF has run just as it should.

Over50, it's likely the 2007 Microsoft release I have of CFS3 is already updated to 3.1. All I can tell you is, I have done it both ways: with the full CFS3 install; or allowing OFF to install the 2 or 3 files it needs from the CFS3 disc; it's worked the same either way and OFF has run just as it should.

Ah, so. Then you must have the DVD release (it's been my understanding the retail version of CFS3 with the update was on a DVD whereas the CD version has to be updated separately. But this said, I learned early on in this forum once OFF is installed I could uninstall CFS3 to save disk space.

CD...DVD...all I know Over50 is that it's small, shiny, and round, with a hole in the middle, and when I drop it into the tray it makes my computer go all goochie goochie.

CD...DVD...all I know Over50 is that it's small, shiny, and round, with a hole in the middle, and when I drop it into the tray it makes my computer go all goochie goochie.

:lol:

This is what worries me about getting Windows 7 some day: will OFF work on it without problems? Some people seem to be having trouble, while others have none. I have it working beautifully on my XP rig, and it would be a disaster if I would be unable to play my favourite sim some day!

This is what worries me about getting Windows 7 some day: will OFF work on it without problems? Some people seem to be having trouble, while others have none. I have it working beautifully on my XP rig, and it would be a disaster if I would be unable to play my favourite sim some day!

If M$ holds to current plans as I understand it, security and all other support for XP w/SP3 (and the 64 bit version) will be discontinued in 2014 (XP w/SP2 has already been dropped) so one way or another you're going to have to update your OS. I also stayed with XP/SP3 through the Vista iterations and hung back after W7 was officially released. But I made the decision that when I did go with W7 it would be with a new system which is what I did early this year and by extension I installed a full retail copy, not an upgrade. And to my relief every single game XP based game in my collection except one runs without having to resort invoking XP compatibility mode - and the lone exception is due to inompatibility with Creatives W7 workaround driver for my Xtreme Gamer sound card, not W7 as such. And I attribute the near totally absence of game install and play issues to NOT installing a W7 upgrade on a XP hardware era system and instead opting for everything new including a full retail copy of W7 x64. And just to add, all of my exsiting peripherals (Canon iP 5200 printer, USB CH gear, keyboard and mouse, etc.,) worked from the first power up. And no issues with TIR5 either.

Edited by Over50

I'm no computer guru but why not have a dual boot system? XP for OFF and other games you like, and ick Win.7 for the rest. I'd wait till Xp support is done myself. Thats what I'm going to do.

Hi Guys,

So far I've tried everything here and here's my results: Setting this unit up, I'm working on a smallish temporaty monitor @ 1280x1024 - the higher the settings the better the results. When I go smaller or 16 bit color it almost ceases to work. So at 1280x1024 x 32, I get the flick to black but better progress. With the compatibility to XP 2 It's a little better - though if I go earlier to 2000 there's no difference.

I've done a clean CFS3 install and 3.1 update before all this, but this does not seem to have been the issue. Direct X11 will not accept an install of 9 and I'm not to keen on screwing with removal and replacement on a brand new machine. My permanent monitor is a 24" @ 1920x1280, I'm hoping when I get that moved over it will provide some positive results.

I loaded up an IL2 mission with a crowded map, loads of planes, flak, and active ground forces and it remained stabe and smooth, so I know there's got to be an answer here somewhere.

Thanks for all the ideas so far, keep em coming! =)

Regards,

Cobra427so

Edited by Cobra427so

Hi Guys,

So far I've tried everything here and here's my results: Setting this unit up, I'm working on a smallish temporaty monitor @ 1280x1024 - the higher the settings the better the results. When I go smaller or 16 bit color it almost ceases to work. So at 1280x1024 x 32, I get the flick to black but better progress. With the compatibility to XP 2 It's a little better - though if I go earlier to 2000 there's no difference.

I've done a clean CFS3 install and 3.1 update before all this, but this does not seem to have been the issue. Direct X11 will not accept an install of 9 and I'm not to keen on screwing with removal and replacement on a brand new machine. My permanent monitor is a 24" @ 1920x1280, I'm hoping when I get that moved over it will provide some positive results.

I loaded up an IL2 mission with a crowded map, loads of planes, flak, and active ground forces and it remained stabe and smooth, so I know there's got to be an answer here somewhere.

Thanks for all the ideas so far, keep em coming! =)

Regards,

Cobra427so

Again, as you can see in my sig I'm running W7 64bit with OFF (and with the HITR expansion but not noted in my sig) and with DirectX 11 even though my GTX 260-216 SC GPU's can't take advantage of Dx11. Point being I didn't have to resort to a dual W7 and XP boot capability, run OFF in XP compatiblity mode or go through any other machination.

But this said, the thought just occurred to me if you didn't install your monitor mfr's W7 driver (32 bit or 64 bit as applicable) then it's running with the W7 generic driver which could explain the graphics issues you've posted. I'm running a Dell u2410 wide screen monitor and until I installed the Dell W7 64 bit driver after my W7 OS install the monitor was identified in Control Panel | Display | Change Resolution as "Plug and Play". After loading the Dell W7 monitor driver it's shown as "Dell u2410". Just a thought...

Edited by Over50

Cobra, I wish you success soon - it will be the biggest reward to be able to fly OFF. (Since I found OFF, I stopped flying IL2).

Do we have you on the OFF Pilots Maps already? If not, please send me a PM with your town and country, and I'll add you.