Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

OFF salute

Got the DVD. In fact I made this little .gif from it, which I used as my avatar on the Wings of Valor forum.

post-47353-050288900 1286594217.gif

Hollywood at it's early best - impressive to see so many Fokker and S.E.5 in air combat.

Hollywood at it's early best - impressive to see so many Fokker and S.E.5 in air combat.

...and no Tiger Moths, or 'Wichita Fokkers"...they're all the real thing, During the filming of "Hells Angels", Howard Huges bragged that he had assembled the largest private air force in the world.

...and no Tiger Moths, or 'Wichita Fokkers"...they're all the real thing, During the filming of "Hells Angels", Howard Huges bragged that he had assembled the largest private air force in the world.

...with real veteran ww1 pilots for the dogfight scene. real daredevils who are not afraid to throw the crafts about, compared to most other dogfight scenes in later movies, where you just can see a choreographic flight like in airshows. the dogfight in hells angels is even much longer and epic than this short clip shows. it doesn't show the best scenes.

...with real veteran ww1 pilots for the dogfight scene. real daredevils who are not afraid to throw the craft about, compared to most other dogfight scenes in later movies...

There y' go: real planes, real pilots. 'Doesn't get any better.

In a way probably the only filmed document that shows, how they were really flying those crates.

I wish, the guys who made "Flyboys" or "The Red Baron" would have seen this movie and learnt

from it, instead of going over the top.

Is that bomber one of those Russian Ilya mar things?

mmmmmmmm, I dont know what type bomber. The plane belonged to someone and Howard didn't pay the guy after they crashed it in the film. Anyway, that's how the story goes.

Wikipedia says it was a Sikorsky biplane:

"Mechanic Phil Jones died during production after he failed to bail out before the crash of a German Gotha bomber

which had been doubled by Igor Sikorsky's first biplane built after his arrival in the United States."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell%27s_Angels_%28film%29

And here is the picture of it - a Sikorsky S 20, in a great site about Howard Huges:

http://hrhughesjr.webs.com/howardsairplanes.htm