Sign in to follow this  
Shrapnel

Need some help getting padlock to work

Hi,

I can't seem to get padlock to work when I click on the key that it is mapped to nothing happens.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I use it all the time, works fine for me. It is the Accent key (just left of the 1 key), I have it mapped to my joy stick. I wasn't aware of it not working in Phase 1 or Phase 2, I thought I had been using it all along.

Beard

Edited by Burning Beard

You have select something before you can padlock it. Try TAB to select an enemy a/c then the ` key to padlock it. Press the ` key again to return to front view. Also works on ground targets. You can tell which target you have selected on your TAC, it will be highlighted in yellow.

If you can select it, you can padlock it. If you don't select anything, you can press the padlock key all day and nothing will happen.

Edited by Winston DoRight

Shrapnel, follow Burning Beard's and Winston's advice - or get yourself TrackIR.

That device is worth every penny; you sit in your cockpit and look around.

Before I got it, I always asked: how should that work, when the screen is in front of me. But it works great!

You can go to YouTube and search for TrackIR demos - I wouldn't miss it!

Yeah I have a old TrackIR 3 but I can't find the hat and I'm not sure I want to spend $10 for a new one. I'll try the padlocking (I think I was not selecting my target which is why it didn't work) and if I like it enough I'll wait on ordering a new hat.

Shrapnel, you don't know what you're missing - 10 $ is nothing compared to what you'd get.

I would sell my grandma for TrackIR if I didn't have it already.

PS: if you send me a PM with your town and address, I'd add you to our OFF Forum Pilots maps.

Edited by Olham

Hi Shrapnel,

Before I obtained TrackIR (and I of course endorse all recommendations to use it - changes the sim completely) I used Padlock extensively. The most useful keys when using Padlock are:

' (Accent) - Padlock Target (Toggle)

CTRL + ' (Accent) - Target Attacker

T - Cycle TAC (set to Aircraft Only for dogfighting)

CTRL + T - TAC Range (2 NM or 4 NM is good for dogfighting)

TAB - Next Target

CTRL + TAB - Next Friend

SHIFT + TAB - Previous Target

CTRL + SHIFT + TAB - Previous Friendly

It's easy to become disoriented with Padlock, which can be fatal, especially for Camel pilots, so I used to map mine to the B fire button on my X-52 which sits practically under my thumb right next to the POV hat and just snap it on and off rapidly. It was akin to 'glance at your target', 'glance away, check six', 'glance at your target' etc. The 'Next' and 'Previous' type key combos were mapped to my second POV hat.

Worked for me.

You may find the attached useful too.

CFS3 Commands.pdf

I have a Trac IR 4 but still use padlock. When something comes up on the tac screen I will padlock it and see if can see it (I do not use labels). If not I ignore the target until it gets into visual range. Even with Trac IR and my display set to 1680 x 1050 I cant see a target until it gets with 2 miles if it is down in the weeds somewhere or in the clouds. If you could get the visual acuity you have with natural eyesight on a screen I probably wouldn't use the padlock. However, with only the tunnel vision you get with a monitor you will never equal natural eyesight. It is funny how often when I turn off the padlock I will find that I am still focused on the target using the Trac IR.

Beard

Wow a helpful bunch.

No one has to sell me on the benefits of TrackIR, I used it extensively with IL2- Sturmovik/Pac Fighters, EECH, Battleground Europe, ARMA2, etc. I can afford a new hat but I'm cheap like that (plus I think I may eventually stumble across it).

Whats the Tac screen?

Shrapnel you can buy the reflective dots from Natural Point and stick them on a hat or visor. I f you get the vector expansion you also need a clip that has three reflective spots which attaches to the bill of your hat, I use the Pro 3 with vector and it works well. I am not sure if the clip comes with the expansion package. I would go to WWW.naturalpoint.com and check it out. The worst problem about buying the clip that attaches to your hat is the shipping costs more than the clip. I have brought extras because my grandchildren like to misplace mine.

Shrapnel, 10 $ are nothing compared to the fun you could have - do you have Scottish ancestors?

The TAC is a kind of radar, switched on and off with Ctrl. + T (at least as I have it configured).

See: Controls

Ok ok I'm sold.

Scottish ancestors? Not as far as I am aware.

Shrapnel, 10 $ are nothing compared to the fun you could have - do you have Scottish ancestors?

The TAC is a kind of radar, switched on and off with Ctrl. + T (at least as I have it configured).

See: Controls