Sign in to follow this  
RickFlare96

SF2 Windows 7 issues

Hey,

I have Strike Fighters 2 and Strike Fighters 2 Israel and it seems that every time I fly back to base after a mission, my game crashes to desktop. I have Windows 7 and the June 2010 editions of both games.

Anyone have any suggestion for a fix to this problem?

Rick

Can you give us your system specs? That is odd. Also are you video card drivers and directx up to date?

Sure thing....

Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz 1066 MHz FSB

Hard Drive : 320 GB 7200 rpm

Sound Card : SRS Premium Sound (NVidia HD Sound compatible)

Video : NVidia 240M GT 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM

Well you have the horsepower. I would try a full reinstall then let us know the results.

I uninstalled the game, cleaned the registry to make sure there was no trace of the game on my hard drive then made a fresh install. Same results.

Hi,

may be you want to look at this:

Link

I had initially the same problem and found the fix as described.

Hope it helps you too.

Chris

Where there any error messages associated with the CTD and,

in what order did you install the game -- SF2 MUST be installed first, then any of the others

wrench

kevin stein

Right, they must be installed in release order, THEN patches applied. Beyond that, I presume you are running with no mods as you didn't list any. If you are, they can ruin things if they're not installed properly.

Another thing, the install directory is not the only place the game puts files. In addition to Program Files/Thirdwire, check your documents/saved games folder and delete those folders (one for each one installed, in your case SF2 and SF2I) as well. There's also a thirdwire folder placed under appdata, the hidden folder in your user profile. If you turn on hidden folders, you'll be able to find that and delete it as well. The registry stuff is immaterial for SF, it's not needed to run the game. If you've got a bad file in one of those locations, uninstalling may not fix it.

Edited by JediMaster

Where there any error messages associated with the CTD and,

in what order did you install the game -- SF2 MUST be installed first, then any of the others

wrench

kevin stein

I didn't see any error messages when the game CTD. What happens is I'm brought back to the desktop but I can still see the program icon on the taskbar indicating that it's still running and when I go back, the game appears to be running but I don't have control of the aircraft nor do I hear any sound. I only installed Strike Fighters 2 Israel, I didn't install the original Strike Fighters 2. Oh and I read the topic you posted in a link and you indicated that you solved your issue by forcing DX9. How do you force DX9?

Rick

Rick,

Check to see if your graphics settings are on unlimited. If they are try reducing some of them..namely effects and shadows. The new expansion pack will be optimized for multi-core processors finally and there are also some tweaks to the graphics settings.

The new expansion pack will be optimized for multi-core processors finally and there are also some tweaks to the graphics settings.

:yikes:

Rick,

Check to see if your graphics settings are on unlimited. If they are try reducing some of them..namely effects and shadows. The new expansion pack will be optimized for multi-core processors finally and there are also some tweaks to the graphics settings

I've checked the graphics settings and they are set to High. I will also try using the "customize" option to tweak some of the graphics. So when's the new expansion pack coming out?

Two weeks :)

Seriously, I don't know. But hopefully soon.

Oh DanW and Dave, I forgot to mention something about the graphics. I found two configuration files in the game's main folder and in these files under "System" there's an option to tweak two things : DisplayManagerDLL and GraphicsEngineDLL. Both are set to DisplayManagerDX10.dll and GraphicsEngineDX10.dll. I tried changing them to DisplayManagerDX9.dll and GraphicsEngineDX9.dll but the game won't start when I attempt to execute it. Just thought I'd bring that up.

Try putting your Anti Virus and/or firewall into game mode - or even temporarily disable them to see if the same thing happens. Also try a basic desktop instead to 3D aero.

What you describe doesnt sound like a CTD - its as though another program is demanding the Desktop and gets control of everything.

Edited by MigBuster

Well, I just attempted to fly a couple of missions and to my astonishment, the game didn't crash. So, it looks like I'm good as of right now. I'll keep you guys posted in the event that more issues arise (hopefully there won't be). Thanks for all your help and advice guys! :)

Rick

Rick,

Check to see if your graphics settings are on unlimited. If they are try reducing some of them..namely effects and shadows. The new expansion pack will be optimized for multi-core processors finally and there are also some tweaks to the graphics settings.

So that's why it's taking longer than expected :good: I'm sure EXP2's gonna be worth the wait!

Edited by SFP1Ace

Rick,

Good new thanks