Sign in to follow this  
DWCAce

Obama Releases C-130s to China

WTF next he will be selling Patriot missiles... The Chinese get a hold of those and they will be reverse engineering them in no time...

An aircraft that can be rather easily purchased (used) on the civilian market? No big deal. It's good business.

I disagree! Not a good idea! We are in dispute with China over territorial waters and now this?! Does he think he can buy China?!

That's about as bad an idea as it is to give Iraq F-16s!

Glad I didn't vote for Obama!

Its getting near Halloween, folks panic on the internet.

-- big EDIT ...me and my cynical "humour" again, rather than real discussion...sorry FC.

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

They're just cargo planes. Would it be better to deny them planes with a proven record of assisting in domestic disaster recovery and increase the enmity the newer generation of PLA officers feel towards the US over Taiwan just to let them know "who's boss"? Before 1988 we were helping them develop WARPLANES for crying out loud. They're not worse now than they were then, and quite frankly we don't need a new superpower enemy. We're holding ourselves at arms' length.

As for buying China, that's going to be tough with them holding billions in our debt that no realistic number of C-130s will be able to offset. Frankly, if we can give them a huge fleet of cargo airplanes in return for reducing the financial stranglehold we've allowed them to get on us, that's great! There's also no dispute with the US over any territory because we don't have any adjoining territory. Some of their neighbors do, some of which are our allies, but strictly speaking that is NOT our affair. Let China and Vietnam and S Korea and Japan and the Phillippines bicker over a bunch of islands, that's THEIR business, not ours.

Frankly, whether or not Taiwan stays under its own gov't or gets absorbed again is immaterial. China is no longer the backwards-hick wannabe-superpower it once was. Now that Russia is no longer any threat but a nuclear one, why MUST we paint China as our "big bad enemy"? They're not our enemy or our friend, but they don't have to be one or the other! Politics isn't binary.

• Like 1

Jeez! It's a prop driven cargo plane. What are they going to do, reverse engineer it and build more like with everything the russians sell them? Probably, but then we can retaliate for their patent infringement by altering our trade agreements.

I remember some crazy scheme like that happened on the West Wing once.

We sell far more modern equipment to Pakistan and the Saudis and they're on a tightrope trying to balance being our "friends" and while creating the savages we're fighting at the same time.

Guest rscsjsuso5

with all the great responses said of either agreeing or disagreeing with this news. china just wants peace and develop the air force capacity. their has been some and a lot of natural disasters in china and quite a number of transport to get planes with medical supplies to region that are hard. china's factory to reproduce an-12 can takes weeks or months but with the purchase of c130 it is like instant . it is all about demand and supply and immediate needs. plus taiwan has been hit with natural disasters too, why not have a whole fleet of c130s ready to help our brothers and sisters in taiwan . taiwan can't hold a lot of c130. some westerners believe that this purchase of c130 is a sign of aggression. i and the chinese govt think not. we already have our hands busy with the expo, asian games, chang-e2 space project and many more . we are a developing nation and will stay this way for many years in an economy/political/social sphere.

Jedi, eraser, R5, well said. I wish I could write like that. :good:

better sell before it gets reverse engineered.

Big friggin deal. China already has the civilian version of the C-130 except its called the Lockheed L-100-30 Hercules. 114 were delivered, and production ended in 1992. About 30 remain in service. So they're getting military tech from the U.S, nothing cutting edge and atleast they're going through the proper channels, China also has a small quantity of Black Hawks and there have been no unlicensed domestically manufactured versions of them flying around and no negative ramifications of that sale. The sale of the Hercs is good business for LM and the U.S.

Below are some pics from airliners.net

0782304.jpg

0148844.jpg

Edited by Atreides