Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Is this an original Albatros photo from WW1?

Found this picture of an Albatros in flight - but there was no info with it, if the photo was made in the Great War.

Does anyone know more about this picture?

Olham,

For a question like this, you could try 'The Aerodrome' forum. They are very good with identifying photographs.

Yes, thanks for the tip, Wayfarer; I'll try there too. Had hopes, that someone here might know.

Yes, thanks for the tip, Wayfarer; I'll try there too. Had hopes, that someone here might know.

looks a bit like an albatros from a marinejagdstaffel :dntknw:

Olham, the tail number appears to be either W 6367 or W 6767. That could help a lot trying to narrow it down to a jasta.

Lou, I wonder how you read a number from this picture?

Not bad, Creaghorn - Dan San-Abbott of The Aerodrome has the same oppinion. Here is what he wrote:

http://www.theaerodr...-great-war.html

you can compare it to a skin you have made recently for a marine jagstaffel or with the custom skins. it looks different though, but it still fits to the style the marine jagdstaffel had.

i mirrored it to have a more similar look to the picture you have posted.

post-45910-089651100 1287175942.jpg

Olham wrote:

Lou, I wonder how you read a number from this picture?

I saved it to my computer then opened it with my image editor, enlarged it, enhanced the image, and the tail number got quite a bit more decipherable. It's still an educated guess, but I have had some experience at "reading" photographs for information so I am fairly confident it is one of the two numbers I noted.

My MFJ-1 skin has a Naval Hex Camo, Creaghorn - quite different.

The photo shows a top wing camo very unusual - it is upper surface Lozenge AND undersurface Lozenge.

Also, the elevator is undersurface Lozenge, while the tailplane is upper surface Lozenge.

Dan San Abbott said he hadn't seen anything like that elsewhere.

Edited by Olham

Found this picture of an Albatros in flight - but there was no info with it, if the photo was made in the Great War.

Does anyone know more about this picture?

I'm certain that it is a WWI photo, but I can't prove it. I know I've seen it in some book on WWI aviation.