Sign in to follow this  
von Baur

Way OT...Network Diagnosis and OpenDNS

I've recently started having problems accessing some websites. Most of the time I'll get a message that says "Internet Explorer cannot display the page" and gives me a button that says "Diagnose Connection Problems" (which didn't really help). But sometimes I get a page that says "Domain blocked" and tells me to email my network administrator...I am the network adminitrator. I've noticed that this page comes from something called OpenDNS. Does anyone have any info on this? Is this some kind of hijacker or other evil? If so does anyone know how to get rid of it? I've tried a system restore but it didn't help. And it's even affecting sites such innocuous as Yahoo, The Weather Channel and the site where I check lottery numbers.

I've recently started having problems accessing some websites. Most of the time I'll get a message that says "Internet Explorer cannot display the page" and gives me a button that says "Diagnose Connection Problems" (which didn't really help). But sometimes I get a page that says "Domain blocked" and tells me to email my network administrator...I am the network adminitrator. I've noticed that this page comes from something called OpenDNS. Does anyone have any info on this? Is this some kind of hijacker or other evil? If so does anyone know how to get rid of it? I've tried a system restore but it didn't help. And it's even affecting sites such innocuous as Yahoo, The Weather Channel and the site where I check lottery numbers.

Hi m8...OpenDNS is...well...this http://www.opendns.com/

You must have installed it at some stage?..cant be more specific than that I'm afraid.

As for Internet Explorer...I can only say what many people say..and that is...move on! :drinks:

With the likes of Google Chrome being available, which makes IE look like a snail suffering from Asthma!...I would try a different browser.

Does this happen when using something like Firefox...

Also what IE version are you using and what version of Windows ??? I know in Germany that you have restricted access to websites... but unless these are websites that you have used before that should not be an issue... unless the government has introduced new protocols...

As the man above quoted... sound advice as to using a different browser always have a second browser setup on your PC as it allows you to check problems out...

Edited by Slartibartfast

I have a feeling you may have somehow ended up with a DNS Server Proxy address in your TCP/IP settings in Windows. There's also a possibility that your problem lies in your router settings, but I doubt that.For now, try this:1) Go into "Network Connections"2) Select your broadband connection (assuming you are on broadband)3) Select TCP/IP Properties4) If you see an IP address or two in "Use the following DNS Server Address", write that info down (just in case).5) Now change that setting to 'Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically'You may have to reboot for those changes to take effect. See if that solves your problem. If not, change those settings back to the way they were, phone your ISP and yell at 'em.Cheers,Parky

If you didn't change anything, a very first thing to try might be to take the router off power for a minute.

After that re-plug it, and it may have reset itself.

Thanx for the replies, folks. Parky got me there, sort of. When I right-clicked my connection there was a 'repair' option. I figured, "Why the heck not?", clicked it and when it was done, presto, I was able to go to any site I've tried so far.

Glad you're sorted.

But please consider the option of a different browser!...you can run them both side by side!...you will be pleasantly surprised! :grin: