Sign in to follow this  
Flyby PC

OT Good News

Yeeeaaaayyyyy!!!

2 Months buried 700m underground, but all 33 Chilean miners were brought back to the surface alive and well.

Well done Chile!!! What extraodinary stoicism your miners must have, and what excellent rescue workers you have too. I'm sure I'd be fit for an asylum if I was trapped in the dark like that.

I once went down a coal mine as a teenager thinking about being a mine engineer. Believe it or not, as I crawled along a working seam of coal about a mile deep with these massive hydraulic pit props beside me holding up the roof, and the thought actually occurred "what if?" I didn't freak out, but I knew there and then that a life underground was not for me.

25 years later and I'm definitely not a mine engineer, but I still have a deep respect for those who work underground.

A near miracle, and such a good news story.

What could be worse than being buried alive? Well, 2 had toothache. Ouch.

What could be worse than being buried alive? Well, 2 had toothache. Ouch.

Being married to the wrong person? :dntknw:

Hellshade

Being a person who gets slightly claustrophobic in lifts, I really felt with them, down there in the dark for two months.

And I thought of the horror to be imprisoned in a small rescue capsule for 12 - 20 minutes, getting slowly pulled up

through a tunnel of only 3 feet in diameter - hell, they have something to digest now.

But now they are back with the ones they love, under our beautiful sky and the shining sun. Good they made it!

Yeah, it was delightful to watch the reactions at Camp Hope, when they began the evac.

In an oft cruel world, it lights up the soul...a great result, and a massive pat on the back for the international rescue crews!

Great stuff :drinks:

Yeah, it was delightful to watch the reactions at Camp Hope, when they began the evac.

In an oft cruel world, it lights up the soul...a great result, and a massive pat on the back for the international rescue crews!

Great stuff :drinks:

Indeed.

Raised a notch my faith in human race. Brilliant!

I have spent up to 82 days straight submerged in a submarine. Typically serving 6 hours on watch and 12 hours off watch. The off watch time included doing clean-up routines, system maintenance, and training as well as meals, showers, etc. Sleep time was typically 3 to 6 hours. Throw in some fire drills, flooding drills, battle stations, etc. for good measure. The stress is minimal when there is a known schedule and fixed daily routine. Unexpected events and an unknown schedule dramatically increase stress. These guys were unexpectedly trapped, didn't know when or if they would be found, but did eventually get a nice schedule and routine going. As long as they had sufficient air, water, and food, I don't see where they went through too much more than any submarine crew.

One year, I was at sea for 220 days of 365. A friend of mine was at sea 360 of 365 days on one very reliable submarine (they only came in for food and spare parts).

It is great news that everyone made it out alive, but I am not too impressed or amazed by the whole ordeal of being stuck below the surface for a couple of months with little or no comforts.

This is what happens when you dont watch network news any more, I have no idea what you guys are talkin bout, buried in a mine for two months? escape capsule? whaaaaa?

See your point Streakeagle, but that's a sub that's working properly and under control. Imagine those 82 days if the sub was damaged and stuck on the bottom throughout with your life in somebody elses hands.

The thing that gets me is after the accident, the rescue took two months to arrive. That's a long time to for the mind to play it's tricks wondering IF you're going to get out. But on the whole I agree with you. The fact nobody did go loopy would suggest a high level of confidence they were going to get out, and that they had reasonable conditions to get by. But in those first hours, with no light, when it dawns on you you're trapped...

Full respects to a submariner though. That's another tough job I don't think I could handle. Too claustraphobic for me - no breeze, no windows... lemme out... Lemme out now...

I agree with Flypc...respect to you strike eagle...I would rather hammer a rusty nail through my privates, rather than even LOOK at a submarine..let alone get into the bloody thing!

I'm with Widowmaker here. I mean, I could and would make a sightseeing walk through a submarine in a harbour,

but if it came to diving in it... The film "Das Boot" keeps me nailchewing for most of the time.

You are right about the relatively comfortable space and food they had, Streakeagle - it's that being buried and not

to know, if you will be found, and then even rescued, that makes it a terrible wait.

They said they would be out by Christmas.

Bloody Marvellous!...what the hell am I going to do with the 10,000 Chilean Miner themed Advent Calenders sitting in my Garage now???

Being married to the wrong person? :dntknw:

Hellshade

Being married to the wrong person who also has a toothache...?