Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT Taken the plunge!

Now running Win7 64 home premium...all looks great..need to go through the forum to see how to get Trackir working, but impressed so far :)

Also, I seem to remember an issue with installing cfs3 and OFF too, that needs looking at?...but, I will wait until i have reinstalled it and see

Congrats, old boy!

Perhaps you write a neat install description for CFS3, OFF, TrackIR etc. on Win7 (64);

for sooner or later many of us will go there.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!

Have fun with it... I spent a few hours setting my dads new laptop up with it... grrrrr

I'm finding it very intuitive!...The file icons are a bit different to XP..and I have found that a little confusing..but it's just a learning curve, and getting used to it.

I put off upgrading until now, as I used to wake up screaming, and in a cold sweat thinking about Vista!...god...the Horror!!!!

I didn't upgrade my OS but run a second PC which has Win 7. I really like Win 7, but just beware the 64 Bit side of things. I have lots of things on 32 bit format which just don't work. The upside is it is mainly older software which it is high time I upgraded anyway, but a couple of newer things still surprised me by not working. MS Works surprised me. MS for goodness sake!

It's just one note of caution, but all things considered, given the choice I'd take Win 7 64bit every time. You get used to it all very quickly. Only thing I miss is scandisk. I've a dodgy old Ipod which I need to scandisk from time to time. There is a chkdisk utility, but better the devil you know and all that... My old PC still runs a scandisk on it once in a while, but I don't recall the chkdisk on the new PC ever kicking in by itself.

It's actually quite a cool Ipod. I got it from Apple and got my name etched on it, (great idea btw) and lost it one day, playing in the snow with the dogs. About a month later, once the snow was gone, some kind person dropped it in the letter box. It looked a very sad ipod, and had obviously been left outside in the damp for some time, the screen backlight didn't work, and it needed a scandisk now and again, but it still worked and held it's charge. I seem to recall 3 or 4 scandisks before Itunes recognised it as an ipod instead of just a mass storage device, and believe it or not, three or four months after I started using it regularly again, even the backlight started to work again!! I'm so happy I didn't plunge inside with a screwdriver to 'see what was wrong'. Good little Ipod got better all by himself. :clapping:

I didn't upgrade my OS but run a second PC which has Win 7. I really like Win 7, but just beware the 64 Bit side of things. I have lots of things on 32 bit format which just don't work. The upside is it is mainly older software which it is high time I upgraded anyway, but a couple of newer things still surprised me by not working. MS Works surprised me. MS for goodness sake!

It's just one note of caution, but all things considered, given the choice I'd take Win 7 64bit every time. You get used to it all very quickly. Only thing I miss is scandisk. I've a dodgy old Ipod which I need to scandisk from time to time. There is a chkdisk utility, but better the devil you know and all that... My old PC still runs a scandisk on it once in a while, but I don't recall the chkdisk on the new PC ever kicking in by itself.

It's actually quite a cool Ipod. I got it from Apple and got my name etched on it, (great idea btw) and lost it one day, playing in the snow with the dogs. About a month later, once the snow was gone, some kind person dropped it in the letter box. It looked a very sad ipod, and had obviously been left outside in the damp for some time, the screen backlight didn't work, and it needed a scandisk now and again, but it still worked and held it's charge. I seem to recall 3 or 4 scandisks before Itunes recognised it as an ipod instead of just a mass storage device, and believe it or not, three or four months after I started using it regularly again, even the backlight started to work again!! I'm so happy I didn't plunge inside with a screwdriver to 'see what was wrong'. Good little Ipod got better all by himself. :clapping:

awww... :rofl:

The other thing I noticed was the new Movie Maker.

Utter s**te!....thank goodness movie maker 2.6 is available for Windows 7!..I would have not of been a happy Bear!!!

Well done Microsoft!..you got something right! (at last)

I pre-ordered Win 7 64bit on day 1 so have had it since it was released. Had no trouble with cfs3, OFF or TrackIr. I love win 7 and wouldn't go back now.

I do run a dual-boot with XP but that's because I have some bespoke accounting and database software that won't run on 7. I never have used Win Movie Maker prefering instead the freeware on offer - VirtualDub for example is excellent.

You'll love win 7, WM. Congrats.

Maybe I have been very lucky!...TrackIR 3 installed no problem..BHAH & HITR both installed flawlessly!..and I'm not sure if it's because I have re-done the CFS3 config settings again, but FPS is up..and Graphical Eye candy is markedly improved too!

One HAPPY Bear!!! :grin::drinks:

Why shouldn't it run well? Most Windows problems can be solved by the right installation and knowing what to do.

A friend of mine with good detailed knowledge had installed VISTA on my newer rig, and OFF was running fine

ever since, with absolutely no problems. Win7 (64) might be even much finer! Enjoy it, Widowmaker!

Thanks Old Bean.....wish everything in my life was that easy! [sigh] :drinks:

I'm always a bit confused when I hear about all these "complications" people encounter with Windows 7 64-Bit. From my experience, as long as you set yourself up as Administrator and dummy down the UAC, you shouldn't run into any problems at all. I've been running both the 64 and 32-Bit versions for quite some time now. Haven't had any problems with either version that couldn't be very easily solved.....and those problems I can count on one hand, minus my thumb, my ring finger, my pinky finger and my driving finger.Glad it's worked well for you, UK.Cheers,Parky

Thanks Old Bean.....wish everything in my life was that easy! [sigh] :drinks:

Life life dont talk to me about life...