Sign in to follow this  
quack74

Questions for the "Battle of Caporetto" campaign

This thread should be used for anyone with questions regarding the "Battle of Caporetto" campaign made by quack74.

Anyone out there who might know an answer to a question please chime in. More help the better.

You can PM me here as well. I'll do my best to help you all install this campaign correctly.

There are a lot of files to make it all work. But well worth it.

1. This campaign was made for FE2. But rearanging some files it should work with FEG aswell.

2. You'll need the Vogesen terrain found here www.combatace.com/files/download/4023-vogesen-terrain/

Thanks to Gepard.

3. I recommend using JanTuma's visual upgrade pack also found here www.combatace.com/files/download/10549-first-eagles-seasonal-tiles-by-jan-tuma/

Thanks Jan Tuma.

4. Well..... Good Luck......Cant wait to hear from you:grin:

I just posted it, so I'm just waiting for it to be approved.

***** Remember... You must download Part2 aswell. It has all the German (Austrian) aircraft and skins*****

Edited by quack74

Before you install the campaign (or after, it doesnt really matter) add this new Battle of Caporetto config settings.INI to your campaign folder. Just overwrite the existing one. I just forgot to change the name of the campaign start screens for each nation. Now you'll get the correct screens instead of the stock FT-17 tanks and such. After looking at this campaign for a couple months my eyes seem to miss things. I'm sure there will be more. The main file is way too big to edit so I'll add updated files here in this thread.

1. New Campaign start screens ---------- Battle of Caporetto.zip

Well, there are surprises after all these years for simming. A hugue brand new package like this (with tons of job involved) and no feedback at all???? No good, boys...

I'd like to say a BIG THANK YOU for this fantastic campaign. I'll try to install it in a FE1 game (I haven't FE2), so I'm sure I'll have some issues...

I have look at the campaign.ini files and there is an Austrian unit with no planes (and in fact, no unit name: AirUnit032). Also there is no Ground units nor strategic nodes. It's correct? If so, are there ground battles and CAS missions? (I'm curious, because I'm working in some campaigns and this information can be useful).

Another not very important criticism: Austrian planes are armed with Parabellums and Spandaus instead the more historically correct Schwarzlose. I'll suggest to make a little edit, but it's not very important anyway.

Please, keep on the good work and make some more Austro-Italian campaigns: we have Nieuports, Albatros DII Oeffag, Fokker EIII, BI, BII, Hansa-Brandenburg DI, and Pfalz BI. For later campaigns I'm sure Peter01 can do a 220hp Albatros DIII and a late Hansa-Brandenburg C1 (with gun for the pilot), and maybe someone will make a Berg, Phonix D series and more two seaters, new medals pack, etc......A dream of a game!

quack74:

Thank you for this campaign, I specifically bought FE2 just to play this. :clapping:

A question though: why did you use Germany for the enemy versus Austria ???

quack74:

Thank you for this campaign, I specifically bought FE2 just to play this. :clapping:

A question though: why did you use Germany for the enemy versus Austria ???

Well I gigured It really didnt matter too much. If I made the Enemy AC named Austria, then I would have had to change the NATIONS.ini totally to get all the different decals to work. Having the AC National name as Gemany doesnt really seem to have any affect on the game play. I think. In short I really just didnt want to chane every file over to Austrian.

Well, there are surprises after all these years for simming. A hugue brand new package like this (with tons of job involved) and no feedback at all???? No good, boys...

I'd like to say a BIG THANK YOU for this fantastic campaign. I'll try to install it in a FE1 game (I haven't FE2), so I'm sure I'll have some issues...

I have look at the campaign.ini files and there is an Austrian unit with no planes (and in fact, no unit name: AirUnit032). Also there is no Ground units nor strategic nodes. It's correct? If so, are there ground battles and CAS missions? (I'm curious, because I'm working in some campaigns and this information can be useful).

Another not very important criticism: Austrian planes are armed with Parabellums and Spandaus instead the more historically correct Schwarzlose. I'll suggest to make a little edit, but it's not very important anyway.

Please, keep on the good work and make some more Austro-Italian campaigns: we have Nieuports, Albatros DII Oeffag, Fokker EIII, BI, BII, Hansa-Brandenburg DI, and Pfalz BI. For later campaigns I'm sure Peter01 can do a 220hp Albatros DIII and a late Hansa-Brandenburg C1 (with gun for the pilot), and maybe someone will make a Berg, Phonix D series and more two seaters, new medals pack, etc......A dream of a game!

Well lets see.... As far as Strategic Nodes go, The front doesnt change on the map and there are much less allied (Italian) territory and even fewer airfields. The Campaign could be over in a few missions really. Also the real campaign ended in a stalemate. The Austrian Advance stalled. Then the Italians went on the offensive. So I placed all the ground action myself. There are ground objects scattered all over the front for you to target. So it's far from boring. There are plenty of ground attack missions in this campaign.

I have no control over the types of weapons on the aircraft. They come with the 3D models.

The AirUnits that are blank in the DATA.ini are aircraft I deleted. To remove the whole airUnit means I would have to renumber all the Units after that one, and then renumber the user aircraft in the Config.INI if any are affected. It's OK that it's blank.

quack74:

Sounds like a good reason to me to leave it as German verus changing everything to Austrian.

Thank again.

Hey Quack ,I do want to say a Huge "THANK YOU"!! My computer is really messed up right now ,but I am sure once I get it fixed I will truly enjoy this campaign. Thank you again for all your hard work.

VonTobler

Thanks for all your hard work, but I just do not seem to get it to work in XP I think your read me is for Vista or Windows 7 maybe. Any one got it to work in XP.

Thanks again.

Thanks for all your hard work, but I just do not seem to get it to work in XP I think your read me is for Vista or Windows 7 maybe. Any one got it to work in XP.

When I first bought FE2 I was using XP and didnt seem to have the problems others were talking about so I dont know how to help you with that. There are threads about XP and FE2 here at CA and over at ThirdWire if you want to search for them. As far as ground objects and aircraft and the campaign DATA it should all work with XP and FEG. Did you do a new install or use your existing FE? Does the campaign load at all? Do the new aircraft show up in single missions? You should still be able to use all the aircraft and new skins for single missions.

Edited by quack74

I used my existing FE2 install, all the added aircraft show in single mission the campaign do's not show. I will search CA. Thanks for reply.

I used my existing FE2 install, all the added aircraft show in single mission the campaign do's not show. I will search CA. Thanks for reply.

If you already use FE2 with XP there is no reason the campaign wont work. All you really need is the correct aircraft. Hmmm. Double check and triple check all the files. Make sure they are all in the right place. It really takes one file to be missing or be in the wrong place for a campaign to crash.Dumb question, but do you have the Vogesen terrain installed? Something has to be out of place.

I have all the files, in XP FE2 puts the First Eagles2 folder in c\: My documents now in your download there is a campaigns folder now in my default FE2 I have no campaigns folder I did a search and in c\: Program files\ThirdWire\ First Eagle 2 and no campaigns folder.

So do any one know were the campaigns go in FE2 on a XP install.

I have all the files, in XP FE2 puts the First Eagles2 folder in c\: My documents now in your download there is a campaigns folder now in my default FE2 I have no campaigns folder I did a search and in c\: Program files\ThirdWire\ First Eagle 2 and no campaigns folder.

So do any one know were the campaigns go in FE2 on a XP install.

In C: users/your name/saved Games/ Thirdwire/ FirstEagles2/ create a new folder here called "Campaigns". Inside the new "Campaigns" folder drop in "The Battle of Caporetto" folder

OK THANKS quack74 I have the campaign now when I go into my new Austria-Italy install.

Quack,

Firstly, thanks for this great add-on, and for all the work put into it and for your generosity in sharing it with us.

I am using FE2 myself on XP, and have followed your instructions for a second install, as far as I can see, to the letter, but when I start the game using the Austria-Italy exe, I get my other install presented with all the Western front stuff, though when I click on the Fokker Dr1, for example, the game ctd's. Also in Campaign, Caporetto doesn't show up. Would it have something to do with the different path to the mods install in XP (My Documents\Thirdwire\Austria-Italy)?

Edited by Sky High

Sky High,

Hmmm. Not sure what's up with that. Just to be clear,

In C: Program Files/ Thirdwire/ First Eagles 2/ , did you copy the "FirstEagles2.exe" and rename the copy "Austria-Italy", then send a shortcut of the new Austria-Italy.exe to your desktop, then run the new "Austria-Italy" install once?

After you run the new install once then you should have a new aust-Italy target folder in:

C: Users/ your name/ Saved Games/ Thirwire/ FirstEagles2 & Austria-Italy folders here.

Do you not have this new Austria-Italy folder in this location?

I dont really remember how my XP install looked when I first got FE2. But I would think the folder structures would have to be the same...no?

Quack,

I followed the procedure you outlined, ran the desktop shortcut once, and this put an Austria-Italy folder in 'My Documents\Thirdwire\Austria-Italy', alongside my original FirstEagles2 folder. I then added the contents of your campaign to this folder as you indicated, but as I said previously when I run the desktop Austria-Italy_exe, all that shows up on my Mission and Campaign screens is what is on my original (modded) Western Front FirstEagles2. Baffling, isn't it?

SkyHigh,

I think (from what I can remember with my Aust-Italy install) that you have to physically edit all the aircraft and ground objects. I had to delete almost all the aircraft I didnt want (that didnt play a part in Italy). I only kept and or added the aircraft used by Austria, Germany and Italy. That's also why I created new Hangar Screens and loading screens.

Just delete all the aircraft and copy the new aircraft folder right into your new /Objects/Aircraft folder. Just remember to get all the .LOD and cockpit folders for the thirdparty models.

I forgot about all that stuff. Sorry. All the stock aircraft will show in a new second install. It's an easy fix though. I told you it would be a liitle time consuming:grin:

Yes, Quack, I removed all the planes I didn't need, but when I open Single Mission, all the planes of my other FirstEagle2 install are present in the list, but the ones from Austria-Italy are not. Indeed it simply seems that my Austria-Italy.exe is simply pointing to the wrong folder in My Documents\Thirdwire, ie the FirstEagles2 folder instead of the Austria-Italy folder.

Edited by Sky High

Yes, Quack, I removed all the planes I didn't need, but when I open Single Mission, all the planes of my other FirstEagle2 install are present in the list, but the ones from Austria-Italy are not. Indeed it simply seems that my Austria-Italy.exe is simply pointing to the wrong folder in My Documents\Thirdwire, ie the FirstEagles2 folder instead of the Austria-Italy folder.

Open the Options.ini in your Austria Italy install in the saved games section.

Check to see if all the paths read Austria-Italy and not FE2. If they dont then try typing it in manually.

[GeneralOptions]

language=english.dll

SFP1InstallPath=C:\Users\Jeremy MacRobbie\Saved Games\ThirdWire\Austria-Italy\ <-----HERE

UpdateAtStartUp=1

TargetsIconSizePercent=100

[MeasureUnits]

Distance=2

Speed=2

Altitude=1

[GeneralTargetTypes]

AAA=0

CHEMICAL_WEAPONS_PLANT=0

CITY_BUILDING=0

COMM_BUILDING=0

COMMAND_BUILDING=0

EW_RADAR=0

FUEL_STORAGE=0

HANGAR=1

LARGE_RUNWAY=1

MEDIUM_RUNWAY=1

MISC=1

OIL_REFINERY=0

POWER_PLANT=0

RADAR=0

SAM_LAUNCHER=0

SAM_RADAR=0

SMALL_RUNWAY=1

TOWER=0

WAREHOUSE=0

WINDSOCK=0

[CustomTargetTypes]

[Pilot]

LastName=Pilot

FirstName=Ace

Callsign=Snoopy

Service=USAS

[Options]

Section=0

[GameplayOptions]

MissionStart=1

CockpitView=1

DisplayUnit=1

EnemySkill=2

Simulation=3

FlightModel=2

WeaponEffectiveness=2

Avionics=1

Targeting=0

HUDDisplay=1

Landing=1

Collision=1

Blackout=1

AmmoUsage=2

FuelUsage=2

[GraphicsOptions]

DisplayDeviceID=0

DisplayWidth=1280

DisplayHeight=1024

DisplayDepth=32

AspectRatio=1.250000

AntiAliasing=0

UseAdvancedShaders=0

ForceDX9=TRUE

ForceVSyncOff=FALSE

LensFlare=0

DetailLevel=4

ObjectDetail=2

ObjectTexture=3

CockpitTexture=0

CockpitMirrors=1

CockpitReflection=1

EffectsDetail=1

TerrainDetail=2

TerrainTexture=3

HorizonDistance=3

GroundObjectDensity=3

WaterDetail=2

CloudsDetail=2

Shadow=2

[soundOptions]

SoundVolume=100

SpeechVolume=100

MusicVolume=75

NumChannels=24

ReverseStereo=0

SpeechSubtitles=1

[ControlOptions]

ControlMap=Default.INI

Sensitivity=75

DeadZone=20

ForceFeedback=1

ForceFeedbackGain=100

TrackIR=1

[MultiplayerOptions]

LobbyLaunched=FALSE

[MiscOptions]

HUDDisplay=1

ForceAIPilot=FALSE

DisplayUnit=0

[instantAction]

AircraftType=SPAD13

MissionMap=

StartTime=16:30:00

StartDate=09/18/1918

StartTimeDeviation=120

TextureSet=0

NationalMarking=0

SquadronMarking=0

AircraftNumber=0

KillMarking=0

[singleMission]

AircraftType=AlbatrosD3OAW

Service=AUSTRIA

MissionMap=VOGESEN

MissionType=BALLOON_BUSTING

MissionTime=NOON

MissionWeather=CLEAR

AirActivity=LIGHT

AirDefenseActivity=RANDOM

LoadMission=FALSE

LoadMissionFilename=C:\Users\Jeremy MacRobbie\Saved Games\ThirdWire\Austria-Italy\Missions\SPAD13_BALLOON_BUSTING.MSN <--------HERE

MissionDate=12/01/1917

StartYear=0

EndYear=0

[Campaign]

CampaignName=Battle of Caporetto

PlayerService=ITALY

PlayerUnit=91a Squadriglia

Difficulty=HARD

Length=NORMAL

AircraftSupply=NORMAL

WeaponSupply=NORMAL

LoadCampaign=FALSE

CampaignSavename=Jeremy's Campaign 1.SAV

[Multiplayer]

Connection=0

PlayerColor=0

SessionType=0

GameType=0

Password=MyPassword

MaxPlayers=8

IPAddress=127.0.0.1

[DogfightHost]

MissionMap=

MissionDate=09/18/1918

Loadout=0

StartTime=10:30:00

StartTimeDeviation=240

RespawnTime=60

RespawnDistance=4000.000000

MinHeight=5000.000000

MaxHeight=12000.000000

HeightDeviation=5000.000000

ContrailAlt=7000.000000

ScreenshotsDelay=60

StartYear=0

EndYear=0

WeatherType=SCATTERED

[DogfightPlayer]

AircraftType=SPAD13

TextureSet=DefaultTextureSet

PlayerService=USAS

Squadron=DefaultTextureSet

[CoopMission]

MissionMap=

MissionDate=09/18/1918

ContrailAlt=7000.000000

Service1=USAS

Service2=GERMANY

Mission1=SWEEP

AircraftType1=SPAD13

AircraftType2=SPAD13

AircraftType3=FokkerD7

AircraftType4=FokkerD7

ScreenshotsDelay=60

StartYear=0

EndYear=0

WeatherType=SCATTERED

[MotionExporter]

ExporterDLL=

[Mods]

ModsEnabled=TRUE

Directory=C:\Users\Jeremy MacRobbie\Saved Games\ThirdWire\Austria-Italy <---------HERE

Editors=FirstEagles2 <----Leave this

[screenShots]

Directory=C:\Users\Jeremy MacRobbie\Saved Games\ThirdWire\Austria-Italy\ScreenShots <------ and HERE

Format=JPG

This is just a guess. But it should have done this already for you. If this doesnt work post a thread about it over at ThirdWire. Maybe it is an XP thing.

I think there are already some threads for this there. And even here I think.

Quack, Bingo! :good: The Options.ini was wrong and when I edited it manually, that did the trick. Thank you very much for everything, you are a gentleman.

Quack, Bingo! :good: The Options.ini was wrong and when I edited it manually, that did the trick. Thank you very much for everything, you are a gentleman.

Wow. I'm surprized that worked. I dont remember having to type in the correct install name. Well good, I'm glad that worked.

Been busy so only got a chance to plug this thing in tonight. But when I did J. I. M. P.! Quack you are DA MAN.

I'm glad to hear it. Nice to know you guys like it so far. It is lacking in some respects, but I'm no programer and I dont even know what half of the stuff means. I'm limited in the aircraft and objects I can use too. But I got the ball rolling. As soon as a bunch off you get the campaign underway, I'll release an update version 2.0 including the German Jastas 1, 31, and 39. Also more FFA ground attack units and some Kagohl4 bombing units. I already did all the skins I could find. I'm trying to figure a way to get the Stratigic Nodes to work in the Vogesen terrain. The Allied (Italian) territory is so small it's hard to get the forces to move back and forth.

Anyway, it's good to hear you guys like it so far.:drinks: