Aerny

Some new pics of areas I'm currently working on:

Fitzroy

fitzroy1.jpg

Goose Green

goosegreenmedalt.jpg

Bodie Creek

bodie_creek1.jpg

Of course they're still missing the 3d ground clutter and other details that I will add as next step.

looking good :)

Dante,

did you get the stuff I mailed you ?

Regards,

Otto

looking good :)

Dante,

did you get the stuff I mailed you ?

Regards,

Otto

Not yet Crusader, can you resend ?

Dante-JT,

I resent 3 emails to your brturbo.com account.

Crusader

Not yet Crusader, can you resend ?

yes, he always has problems with that email.

my latest news is that i've been playing guild wars far too much and I've had to tear myself away from it to do some much needed JT development. the current focus codewise for me is object bullet collision detection.

the slow down that occurs when bullets come withing test range of the object can nolonger be ignored. its long overdue this area of optmisation.

from my trips in Guild Wars

some virtual lovers loving:

gw3.jpg

me and my wives:

gw5.jpg

maybe one day thunder-works will do a RPG. we have a Load on demand terrain system that can handle caves and such - and server-client handled load on demand player/agent and object system. just a brain fart.

Edited by scary_pigeon

I was up until 4:00 AM today trying to fix landing gear problem in Sea Harrier - the logic was the inverse of what was visually displayed, so 'up' showed like 'down' in external view and so on... was a really fiddly thing to correct by script but now it is ok and I can sleep well. :)

I think this forum is a lot quieter than this project deserves!

Latest screenies looking brilliant - colour palette for the environment looks about right too.

So: is dynamic weather in game planned? Are you able to show us a shot in the rain and bad light?

Keep up the good work! :clapping:

Cheers, Spinner

oh you fixed it? well done.

Yep, and I've emailed to you the fixed files.

So: is dynamic weather in game planned? Are you able to show us a shot in the rain and bad light?

AWL_Spinner, we did experiments with rain and overcast in the past (here) if you squizzy your eyes or have a very good monitor you can see a few thin rain drops falling over the Skyhawk there. :)

I think one of the next tasks for our heroic solo programmer :) is to bring back the clouds and think in a more clever way to do overcast skies (in that Skyhawk pic, the overcast sky was just a change of sky texture, won't work as planes usually are able to fly high over the cloud mass - I hope we can do an effect like that in Lomac's overcast which is brilliant.)

Today I've placed one of the first landmarks of our scenario, the Bodie Creek suspension bridge, a few miles south of Goose Green:

bodiecreekbridge1.jpg

bodiecreekbridge2.jpg

A pity it is too low over the water (10 feet) to attempt a 'fly under' stunt. :)

Next landmarks to be placed on JT's map will be the lighthouses, first the one at Cape Pembroke:

pembroke.jpg

Edited by Dante-JT

This stunning sim is really coming to life!! Dante, do you think users could help in making the scenery? Do you make use of self made developing tools or already existing ones (I think about GMAX, for example)?

This stunning sim is really coming to life!! Dante, do you think users could help in making the scenery? Do you make use of self made developing tools or already existing ones (I think about GMAX, for example)?

Yes, The devs at lockon have recently taken a step in this direction, Naturally anything the community does would have to be approved by the devs but I think it could really help with development time, freeing you guys up to do other things.

Sims looking awesome by the way keep it up :)

Thanks for posting all those shots on the site's front page!

Are all those screen shots "undoctored"? The terrain contouring and colour looks fantastic, you've done an amazing job there!

Cheers, Spinner

screenshots arent doctored.

--

recently we had some trouble with collision detection. things working perfectly on my computer and then inforiating and depressingly failing on dantes despite various versions. It turned out that i was sending him an old exe as i had changed the folder in which the compiler compiled to. And had forgotten about the change.

It looks great dude!!!

When will arrive the demo?

When its on the website, don't be rushed to release a demo guys, take your time.

well we actually now move into areas. terrain needs a proper way to handle statics. I'm mulling over a couple of alternatives trying to decide which one is best.

Dante's favoured one is to create the objects positioned in an art package with some script stuff added - basically our compound destructable class for aircraft reused for collections of buildings. Has some positves and some negatives. as do other approaches. probably this is the approach we will use. already i've worked today before my shift at asda on the code.

a concern i have is i have to resolve how to damage an object - a part of some load on demand terrain so that when you fly away and back again, it is still damaged and also, if you log on later on to the server that the objects are still damaged.

Edited by scary_pigeon

a concern i have is i have to resolve how to damage an object - a part of some load on demand terrain so that when you fly away and back again, it is still damaged and also, if you log on later on to the server that the objects are still damaged.

Very important concern, interesting that I've also thought about that. What I'd suggest is this:

- have the objects collection as a load on demand terrain like we have now, but with objects.cfg in its folder so it has a hierarchy or group like the aircraft

- have the col mesh folder inside this folder (same as we have with aircraft)

- have another folder called damage_mesh, it will contain versions of the objects collection, but twisted and damaged, like ruined versions of buildings etc.

The idea is that once a building is hit by a bomb, instead of dropping it from objects collection (like you do in an aircraft) you swap it for its damaged/ruined mesh version. So, the object doesn't go away and this makes easier for you to work out a programming flag of DAMAGED=1 or DAMAGED=0 in the objects.cfg or anywhere you see fit, that the server must understand to show the correct object if damaged or not.

thinking. probably just keep it as texture swap maybe not have objects fall off. or maybe a new flag in cfg about weather an object when damaged collapses or not. that might be useful.

somehow though have to think how we maintain the game state. have to work that out - its all to do with the network code. that when you log on, a picture of the world must be given - of what buildings where damaged, either as some sort of complete download or regular updates. will figure something out.

Hey this looks freakin' spectacular. I just have a few technical questions that are stumping me:

1. are you guys using 1 unit in the game as 1 meter?

2. how many units away is the skydome or how big do you have it scaled?

3. what size is the texture you have on the skydome?

The sky looks absolutely gorgeous to me btw. Keep it up I'm rooting for you guys.