Sign in to follow this  

I've been away from the series since 2007 and before I repurchase the new versions I am wondering if there has been any improvement in how AI controlled aircraft react to SAM threats. In earlier versions they never reacted with any defensive maneuvers and where shot down like flies if there was any semblance of a realistic SAM defensive system. (Important to me because of my HAWK background while serving in the 1980s).

Thanks.

Kinda - on the good side they will now jettison their stores and deploy counter measures and employ defensive techniques. On the not so good side they will sometimes try to destroy every SAM and AAA site in the area and ignore you.

:lol:

heres my opinion on wingmen.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh I love that... I think I have my new phone ring tone... Thats brilliant...

I think the Wingmen in SF2 do nowadays try to survive...

I think the Wingmen in SF2 do nowadays try to survive...

Until they get bloodlust when they make a U-turn after warping to home base and head back to take a shot at that AAA that dared to look at them.

:lmao:

I also think the wingmen are a little better defensively against SAMs.

But one thing thats broken in 2nd gen games is that if you place specific SAM objects (using terrain_types.ini callouts) they won't paint your RWR.

Only the generic SAM objects register on the RWR gear. So when you place Hawks or S-300 or a Perry frigate on the map, you won't have anything to detect them, all the while they can track and shoot, you only get a SAM launched call after the missile is in the air.

This is the way it is in Campaign game. AND in the dynamically created single missions. Since here, the ground objects are called from the terrain_targets and specifically written Hawk batteries won't still register on RWR.

Only in Custom Single missions, when you place the ground objects by hand in the MSN file, they do work correctly.

The only way around this bug is define them as generic and let the game engine decide how to populate your sites..

Edited by pureblue

I've been away from the series since 2007 and before I repurchase the new versions I am wondering if there has been any improvement in how AI controlled aircraft react to SAM threats. In earlier versions they never reacted with any defensive maneuvers and where shot down like flies if there was any semblance of a realistic SAM defensive system. (Important to me because of my HAWK background while serving in the 1980s).

Thanks.

Were you in the Marines?

Edited by exhausted

heres my opinion on wingmen.

I thought that would be retarded, but I'm drunk and I laughed. Haha, f***in' funny.

Thank you, gentlemen - I am looking forward to the experience again. Love the wingman song - good laugh. Even the wife laughed - but she is also ex-military so she understands :)

Were you in the Marines?

US Army Air Defense (aka "Duck Hunters" to the tread-heads) 1981-88. 1/7 ADA Fort Bliss, TX '81-'85 6/52 ADA, Wuerzburg, FRG '85-'88

US Army Air Defense (aka "Duck Hunters" to the tread-heads)

Seems like hard work! :cool:

for those of you that don't know, in the SF1 downloads section is a GermanyCE targets/types ini mod, placing the various HAWK batteries for the NATO forces. Look for 'Air Defense Mod' or words to that effect. Easily adaptable to SF2:E

Mr. N. Bell is author; based on his extensive personal knowledge of the subject

Good to see you back, Nick!!

wrench

kevin stein

well thanks for the kudos on the song. got pointed to that group in afghanistan last year by an air force navigator of all people. course it was amusing meeting him as he had a red flag patch on his shoulder. i asked him if he flew Vipers and he told me no his parents were married when he was concieved! will post some more songs in another thread soon, they are quite hiliarious.