Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Windows 7..thought it was too good to be true

Aaargh!

Major graphics problems!..running any game whatsoever!

All was fine, until tonight, when I installed Nvidia drivers (260.89)...horrible Jagged graphics, red patchworks..CTD's blue screens, and 'The Driver phucked up messages!)

Even going back to the default Windows ones has not sorted it!...have done a system restore..still locking up!

At a loss! :this:

At a loss WM. Have been running Win 7 64 bit since it came out and have not had any issues like that. Am running an ATI card though. Still haven't heard complaints like yours. Do you have the same issues in safe mode?

You didn't try roll back driver? I have trouble updating Nvidea drivers myself (for some reason OFF doesn't like the new ones). You can roll back the video drivers by going to Control Panel - System Folder - Advanced System Setting - Hardware Tab - Device Manager - Display Adapters then hit the roll back button. Saves doing the system restore bit. It doesn't even have to reboot the machine.

Beard

Aaargh!

All was fine, until tonight, when I installed Nvidia drivers (260.89)...horrible Jagged graphics, red patchworks..CTD's blue screens, and 'The Driver phucked up messages!)

Even going back to the default Windows ones has not sorted it!...have done a system restore..still locking up!

I'm running 7 64 bit also and downloaded and installed the 260.89 release drivers tonight. I'm not having any issues at all sir. Not sure what's up. What kind of card are you running?

Hellshade

Aaargh!

W7_64 Ultimate; installed 260.89 WHQL yesterday and found them to be extremely good so far. Did you go through the multi-step uninstall procedure or try to do an over-right?

plug_nickel

My game choked on the new drivers, also on the drivers issued before this last set. I'm running a 260 GTS 512. This is not a new issue, I had the same problem with XP before I upgraded to Win 7 64. It chokes on the Configoverrides.xml file for some reason, wants me to reinstall the game, which doesn't really work. I have gotten around it on XP by copying the mentioned file to another folder then putting it back in after the new driver fails to find it (even after updating the file in workshops). This system hasn't worked in Win 7, but the drivers I was using before the upgrade were perfectly fine. As I explained above I just rolled back the drivers, replaced the Configoverrides file and it works again.

Beard

Sorry to read about your W7 woes Widowmaker. Hope you can get them sorted out PDQ.

WM,

Those are not Windows 7 problems but nvidia drivers.

Always uninstall the previous drivers in the control panel and then use driver sweeper to uninstall the left overs.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Reboot ur PC and only then install the latest drivers from Nvidia.com.

Cheers

morris

OMG what a nightmare that was!!

Ok, situation is, I have managed to succesfully install 258.96 WHQL...and all seems stable at the moment.

Going to try and run FSX in a moment..because if anything can show up a Display problem..FSX can!!

I had serious thoughts that my Graphics Card was Kaput!....half the problem, was I couldnt uninstall the 260.89 drivers from within Add/Remove...So, I reinstalled them...rebooted into Safe mode, then uninstalled!..that worked...the next issue, was that Win7 auto installs it's own Drivers...this also caused problems with a garbled display!...so, back to safe mode, uninstall the Card itself...rebooted back into safe mode...looked in device manager, and instead of a Nvidia driver, it had installed the standard VGA adaptor...Cool

So, still in safe mode, I installed 258.96...and voila..I'm typing this!!

Im scared stiff now about reinstalling Nvidia drivers....so, if anyone can post the exact sequence..I would be very grateful!

Ok, fire up FSX...and see what happens!....wish me luck, I'm going in!! :salute:

FSX works!...horrah!....that means everything will :drinks:

Sounds like you've got it pretty much sussed.....but on a side note, really good advice from Morris with regard to Driver Sweeper. It's saved my bacon more than once. A must-have utility for both ATI and Nvidia useres as far as I'm concerned. Just be careful you don't uninstall your chipset drivers with it.....lol.

Thanks Morris / Parky/Everyone!..yes, a lesson learned!!

Glad to hear you're back in action, Widowmaker. Aren't computers a load of fun? :drinks:

I rarely update graphics drivers after I've found a good version that works well with all games, because it's so common that the new version causes more trouble than good. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Hi Uncleal

Yes, fsx is a pig to configure!...change one Nvidia setting wrong, and it runs like a snail on downers and whiskey!

My game choked on the new drivers, also on the drivers issued before this last set. I'm running a 260 GTS 512. This is not a new issue, I had the same problem with XP before I upgraded to Win 7 64. It chokes on the Configoverrides.xml file for some reason, wants me to reinstall the game, which doesn't really work. I have gotten around it on XP by copying the mentioned file to another folder then putting it back in after the new driver fails to find it (even after updating the file in workshops). This system hasn't worked in Win 7, but the drivers I was using before the upgrade were perfectly fine. As I explained above I just rolled back the drivers, replaced the Configoverrides file and it works again.

Beard

Every time you install a new set of drivers you must go to Workshops and configure CFS3 again via: 'Graphics Config' button and all should be well.

This has been standard fare with CFS3.

HTH

WM

I've tried that Winder, and unfortunately it doesn't work on this machine. Like I said it was a problem I first ran into on XP.

Beard

I've tried that Winder, and unfortunately it doesn't work on this machine. Like I said it was a problem I first ran into on XP.

Beard

That is strange and a pretty fundamental issue - CFS3 has to be reconfigured every time a new driver is loaded - the fact that you are manually manipulating config overrides to achieve this tells me there is something amiss in your install - and its not OS related.

HTH

WM

OMG what a nightmare that was!!

Im scared stiff now about reinstalling Nvidia drivers....so, if anyone can post the exact sequence..I would be very grateful!

Ok, I'll give it a shot and document what I do to uninstall Nvidia drivers. Please feel free to add, subtract or enhance.

Preparation...

1)Stop any Windows automatic updates; use the "let me choose" option instead.

2)Shut down any AV/MW scanners AND any real time monitoring software that launches when Windows is started.

3)> OPTIONAL < Return OC video card(s) to stock settings.

Uninstall...This is a little bit more involved since Nvidia has added 3D Steroscopic and PhysX drivers to the mix. So I'm writing this as IF both of these drivers are installed.

1)Use "Add/Remove" program in Control Panel to uninstall both 3D Stero, PhysX drivers.

2)Then in "Device Manager", go to display adapters. Use the (+) sign to display your graphics card. Right click on your card

and click uninstall. Check mark the pop up to delete the driver.

3)Now go to C:/Nvidia and delete the DisplayDriver folder.

4)Go to C:/Program Files and/or C:/Program Files (x86) and delete the entire Nvidia Corporation folder. It's sometimes

written in both directories.

5)Go to C:/Windows/System32/DriverStore/FileRepository and delete any folder that starts with "nv_disp.inf" .

Note: I've left out C:/ProgramData..Nvidia, Nvidia Corporation folders because they contain the 3D profiles. IF you're not using 3D Stero, you can delete these folders as well.

Install...

1)Re-boot into safe mode. During this time Windows will install the generic VGA adaptor.

2)Using Driver Sweeper, check mark both 3D Stero, PhysX, analyze and all the items that are now listed should have check

marks next to them. If not, select all then clean.

3)FINISHED!

Re-boot as normal and install new video driver and restart your monitoring programs.

This is the procedure I've been following for a long time, adding elements to it gleaned from different forums and crash logs. Nvidia's 260.XX series drivers are "supposed" to eliminate the need to uninstall previous >>260 series<< drivers and future releases. This doesn't apply to 258's or earlier. Also, Nvidia's 260 series will allow for opting out of the 3D Stero, PhysX drivers if you don't use one or both.

That's my 5 cents worth.

plug_nickel

Edited by almccoyjr

It is easy to understand why many people prefer consoles to PC gaming. What a nightmare it is with all these drivers upgrades, various hardware problems etc. etc.

Some progress has been made over the years with ease of use (for example operating systems are not so cryptic anymore even for ordinary users), but there's still some work to do with all this user-unfriendliness.