Sign in to follow this  
Cameljockey

OT/Cooling an 8800 GTX

Since the demise of my 780i motherboard I've had to put my GTX280 back in the closet and rely on my old 8800GTX until the funds become available for a replacement board. These things run really hot compared to most cards. With the stock cooler it would idle between 65 and 70C and reach 80-90C under load. Nvidia says it will handle those temps with few adverse side effects but I still don't like my hardware getting that hot. I purchased one of these (see photo) and it worked flawlessly. I used RoF and GTA IV in my testing because those are the two most graphically demanding games I own. Now, in a 78F room, the card idles at 45-50C and under full load it hasn't surpassed the 70C mark yet! If some of you are still using an 8800GTX or 8800 Ultra and you're having heat issues, this is the cooler for you, unless you want to go liquid.

post-45778-094188100 1287520629.jpg

Edited by Cameljockey

Serious bit of kit there CJ!

I have the 8800 GTS...have to say, it runs really well...have quite a few case fans, and a Coolermaster CPU Heatsink and fan...but never had an issue with the heat from the card tbh

The GTX had some heat issues, a real hot rod! Here's a short discussion on the subject. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246262-33-8800gtx-heat-issue Also, the board I'm using, an Abit IN9 32X MAX has heat issues of it's own. If you'll notice, I've mounted fans on the North bridge and the PWMs. The board came with wire clips to mount a 40mm fan on the NB but it didn't cool to my satisfaction so I mounted a 60mm. Airflow through the case is good, 3 80mm fans sucking and a single 120mm blowing out the back. I doubled the intake to compensate for the power supply fan and perforated panel on the back. It's 70F in the room right now, just doing basic internet stuff, and my CPU is running at 35C, GPU at 44, and System temp is 32. So I'm satisfied, for now.

post-45778-073637900 1287585660.jpg

post-45778-042691500 1287585682.jpg

I still have a BFG 8800GTX O/C 2 sitting on a P5B Deluxe board, in a case with less than stellar cooling properties. My experience with that card has been similar. Runs hotter than Hell unless I ratchet up the fan speeds qute a bit. Nvidia is full of s**te when they tell you the card will run at 90C with no issues. Mine starts to throttle back once it gets up into the low 80's. Much higher than that and you'll actually start to see artifacting. Simple solution for me was to use Riva Tuner to run the fan @ about 70% while in 3D. Same thing applies to my GTX280.....the 285's are known for the same thing as well. Neither card will get much past 70C under load as long as the fans are adjusted properly. Nvidia's drivers are notoriously horrible for controlling fan speeds when left on "Auto". Come to think of it, ATI's efforts aren't really any better. The only drawback to cranking up the fan speeds is the additional noise. They do make quite a hum, but it's a cheap solution and it works. Besides, I'm usually wearing a pair of Sennheiser 350's if I'm gaming. Not only is it an amazing headset in general, but it's noise-cancelling abilities reduce any ambient noise to the point you're pretty much oblivious to it.....and yes, that would include the wife's yapping as well.

This cooler definitely chills it. I'm planning on getting the one for my GTX280 when I start using it again. I would be using it now but there's one pesky capacitor on the board that's in the way and it won't plug into the PCI slot.

Guest British_eh

Hi there,

I too run the 8800GTX and it seems to be a great card. I have the Coolermaster with 2 extra fans in it and so far so good.

Cheers,

British_eh

Beauty of a cooler there Cameljockey, I should pop one of those on my 9800GTX+. If you don't mind my asking, what does one of those AC units cost? I know the single-fan Arctic Cooler on my CPU was about $50 US.

Uncleal, it's getting to that time of year here in Minnesota where I am actually thankful for the heat the computer pumps into my little flying room, (two windows facing west directly into the brunt of the winter winds, two more facing south that catch that low angle sun that is simply there for ambiance as it has no warmth in it).

Cameljockey, thanks for the link to that cooler. Much appreciated.