Sign in to follow this  
Von Paulus

OT - FaceTrackNoIR

Looks interesting but did you notice that someone reported it not working with CFS3? I wonder if that means OFF as well.

Apart from that I might not feel comfortable flying without my hat on.

Looks interesting but did you notice that someone reported it not working with CFS3? I wonder if that means OFF as well.

Apart from that I might not feel comfortable flying without my hat on.

No I didn't. If it's not working with CFS3, than it won't work with OFF.

The developer told me that is last beta version, is already working with CFS3. He asked if I was interested to try woth OFF.

I've a TrackIR device, is anyone of you gentleman, with a webcam and without a TrackIR or FreeTrack device, want to try it?

It's free and only need a webcam.

The developer told me that is last beta version, is already working with CFS3. He asked if I was interested to try woth OFF.

I've a TrackIR device, is anyone of you gentleman, with a webcam and without a TrackIR or FreeTrack device, want to try it?

It's free and only need a webcam.

Hello OFF-pilots,

That's right! I've just finished beta-1.4, in which I have built support for some older games (like CFS3) and indeed it works (probably will work for OFF as well). If anyone wants to try the beta: just contact me.

V4Friend

P.S.: I will be offline for a few days: holiday :drinks:

Looks interesting, and since I did not see a price it may be open source and free.

I may try to borrow a web cam to check it out.

Regards MarkL

It's free. But see the post above yours done by the creator of FaceTrackNoIR. You'll need the beta version. Contact V4Friend, and he'll supply you the beta.

now this is interesting... might have to give it a whirl when I get some free time...

Since I don't have a webcam on my machine I reckon the missus' laptop will have to be the guinea pig!grin.gif There are times when she spends time in the hospital (not very often thank God) but when she does it's very boring. With this all I would need is the laptop and my twisty stick and I'm good to go. OFF is portable!clapping.gif

If it's working with CFS3, than there's a great chance for working with OFF.

I downloaded and installed it - no problems. It seemed to be able to track me as I move my head around, but I couldn't get it to DO anything in OFF. I thought I might not know what I'm doing (yeah, that's never happened before) or had some sort of conflict with my Saitek X45 programming. So I checked back here to get the website to see if there was any info or manual. But I see from some of the previous posts that I'll most likely have to wait for the next update to have it work with OFF. If this works, it'll be a great enhancement of my flying pleasure.

I downloaded and installed it - no problems. It seemed to be able to track me as I move my head around, but I couldn't get it to DO anything in OFF. I thought I might not know what I'm doing (yeah, that's never happened before) or had some sort of conflict with my Saitek X45 programming. So I checked back here to get the website to see if there was any info or manual. But I see from some of the previous posts that I'll most likely have to wait for the next update to have it work with OFF. If this works, it'll be a great enhancement of my flying pleasure.

To work with OFF you need the beta version.

http://combatace.com/topic/60032-ot-facetracknoir/page__p__449305#entry449305

To work with OFF you need the beta version.

Yep, just wating on V4Friend to get back from vacation or for 1.4 Beta to get posted to his website.

Edited by NS13Jarhead

Hello all. I've never posted before (more of a lurker here...) but I've been flying OFF since midsummer.

I just wanted to confirm that the beta 1.4 version of FaceTrackNoIR DOES work with OFF. V4Friend was kind enough to email me a copy right before he went on vacation. Now I can retire my crappy single point FreeTrack rig that I made! I'm not the most active flier (I only sortie once or twice a week) so I can't give any sort of long-term stress testing data, but from what I've seen this software is an excellent fit for those of us who do not own a TrackIR setup. I was able to get 4 degrees of freedom from my test. Roll did not seem to work and I forgot to try zooming in by moving closer to the screen. My only complaint is that movement seemed a bit sluggish compared to FreeTrack, though I may not have the settings dialed in correctly yet. The program also has an issue where it prefers to crash instead of close properly but I haven't had it crash during flight (which is the important bit).

All that is to say hopefully V4Friend will put the beta up on his website as soon as he gets home so everyone can test it out. Those interested may want to PM him with their email address, he may send you a copy if he doesn't want to post the new beta immediately for whatever reason.

Regards,

Summelar

Oh, I used a PlayStation Eye (PS3 camera) as my webcam; works great.

Summelar, could you send me a PM with your town and country?

I'd like to add you to our OFF Forum Pilots Maps then. Thanks!

Hello OFF-fans and (hopefully-to-be) FaceTrackNoIR-users,

After quite a bit of work, I have now released update 4 of FaceTrackNoIR yay.gif.

The new version includes:

* configurable curves;

* support for Microsoft FS2002, 2004 and FSX;

* support for Microsoft CFS3 (and thus also OFF);

* auto-start-tracking feature;

* improved stability;

* and some other tweaks;

As usual it can be downloaded here:

Downloads FaceTrackNoIR

Users who don't have FaceTrackNoIR yet, must install version v130 and then apply update 4.

To use FaceTrackNoIR with OFF it is necessary to have the file TIRViews.dll placed in the program-folder of FaceTrackNoIR. This file is part of the TrackIR software and can be downloaded here: TIRViews Then the 'fake TrackIR' game-protocol must be chosen and in the Settings from the protocol, the checkbox 'use TIRViews' must be ticked.

I hope the website has enough information for anyone to start. If there are questions: ask them here :cool:

P.S.: For any of you who like FaceTrackNoIR: It is now also possible to show your appreciation and support development by donating smile.gif

Thanks a lot for this update V4Friend! :good:

Great news! :ok:

I will test as soon as I get a web cam. :grin:

Cheers

vonOben

Anyone else get this working yet? It sounds promising. I intend to try it out when I get the time. It'll be a nice alternative to commercial products if it works well, eh?

Hi V4Friend!

I'm very excited about your program but can't get it to work.

I'm using a webcam listed on your site. It's a S5500 Logitech.

I've followed the steps and applied the version 4 patch.

I've have the file TIRViews.dll placed in the folder named FaceTrackNoIR.

I've ticked 'use TIRViews'.

I can see the program tracking my face.

I minimize the program and launch OFF.

But the face tracking doesn't do anything.

Is there something else within the game I need to adjust?:dntknw:

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Ratatat

I'm very excited about your program but can't get it to work.

Hi

Have you got FaceTrackNoIR to work in OFF yet?

Cheers

vonOben

Hi vonOben,

I've made some progress. I wasn't going to post until my next experiment was complete. But I'll let you know where I'm at right now.

The first thing I discovered is that the program won't work with OFF at all unless you run the program's .exe file as administrator ( I'm running Win7 64 -bit ).

Currently it sort of works, but the time between my head movement and the response on screen is soooo sluggish that it is pretty much useless in game. It's something like a 5 second delay. Not much fun. Unless you enjoy crashing in to things.

However, I might have messed up the curves when I was working out why it wasn't functioning originally. There doesn't appear to be a "reset to defaults" option in the program so I plan on reinstalling the whole thing.

A second issue might be my camera's software interfering with the TrackNoIR software. So I also plan on stripping that out to see what happens. When I have time to do that I'll post again to let everyone know what happens.

What it has done though is really opened my eyes as to how incredible head tracking can be in OFF and made me hunger even more for a TracKIR device!

Cheers!

Ratatat

However, I might have messed up the curves when I was working out why it wasn't functioning originally. There doesn't appear to be a "reset to defaults" option in the program so I plan on reinstalling the whole thing.

A second issue might be my camera's software interfering with the TrackNoIR software. So I also plan on stripping that out to see what happens. When I have time to do that I'll post again to let everyone know what happens.

Hello Ratatat,

Well, no, there's no 'reset to defaults' button. But re-installing FaceTrackNoIR won't help much, because the settings are saved in the INI-file(s). You could just re-extract the file Over Flanders Fields.ini from the ZIP-file of update4 instead...

You don't mention how much fps and CPU-load you get? It's quite important that you get the fps somewhere above 20, because otherwise it will probably respond badly. You already mention removing software, that may interfere with FaceTrackNoIR: that's good. Besides that, good lighting is very, very important.

If fps are good and response is still slow, try gradually adjusting the settings: a lower settings always means faster response (but possibly more jitter).

Hope you don't need a TrackIR, unless you're a millionaire :grin:

Hi V4Friend,

Well, I'm definitely not a millionaire which is why your program caught my interest!

Yes, you're right I'll just re-extract the .ini file from update4. Much easier.

My average fps in OFF is 30 - 35 fps so no worries there I think. CPU load I don't know ( I'm at work right now ).

If it is any help, here are my PC specs off the top of my head:

Dual Core E8400 @ 3.0 GHZ

4 GB PC-800 RAM

GTX 460 768 MB

Win 7 Ultimate 64 BIT

Joystick is Cyborg Evo

Camera is S5500 Logitech

I'll try lowering the sliders ( I believe the Over Flanders Fields.ini starts at 5 ) and adding more light to the room - maybe some more candles? :grin:

Don't worry, I don't give up easily! I'll post my results when I get a chance to try things out again!

Cheers!

Ratatat

Update:

Well, I finally have to admit defeat.

I've spent many, many evenings trying to get this to work. But no joy.

Some info:

The fps I mentioned above refered to my in game fps. Not as it applied to FaceTrackNoIR. My mistake.

My computer is in a small room. All the walls and ceiling are white. I filled the room with lights until it was as bright ( and almost as hot ) as the sun and read just 20 fps in the FaceTrackNoIR program. It would start higher ( 28 fps ) but would stabilize at 20 fps. The performance of the program did not change. Adjusting settings made no impact. It still appeared as a slide show in game. Actually things became worse. The program now crashes and randomly loses the face tracking altogether.

Even if the program functioned well it would be impractical for me. Although perhaps I might sweat off a few pounds. :heat:

Ah, well...it was not meant to be chéri.

Edited by Ratatat

Update:

Well, I finally have to admit defeat. Even if the program functioned well it would be impractical for me. Although perhaps I might sweat off a few pounds. :heat:

Ah, well...it was not meant to be chéri.

Hi Ratatat,

I'm sorry to hear that :ohmy:. For some users it's just not meant to be...

It's probably a combination of PC-power, web-cam and bad luck that's keeping it from functioning right?

Well, maybe you'll get lucky some day, win the lottery and buy a nice, new rig. Then you might try again :grin:.