Sign in to follow this  
serverandenforcer

This has probably already been addressed...

Well, after almost 2 years of not playing this game, I finally got back into it with SF2E. I have to say, the sim seems to be a lot better. Now, of course, I've downloaded and installed some of the terrains from Gen1 and I'm having a problem in which I always seem to crash at mission start (and that's starting on the airfield). I got everything setup correctly for the cat pointer. What I notice is that my entire flight spawns on exactly the spot where I'm at. Odd to say the least. So my question is, is there a way to curb this?

check that you have the proper _airfield.ini's in EACH of the terrain folders; many use the desert airfields, and some of the SF2 terrians DON'T have them in their cats any more. They're easy enough to pull from another terrain (I try to include them in all mine, with some increased parking chances), or from another terrain cat. They ARE the same between 08 1stGens and SF2.

check the data inis for proper shader callouts; some 1stGen terrains require the REMOVAL of the Noise statements (gets rid of the land/water bleeds -except on DBS for reason)

when/if it crashes, are they any error messages?

wrench

kevin stein

check that you have the proper _airfield.ini's in EACH of the terrain folders; many use the desert airfields, and some of the SF2 terrians DON'T have them in their cats any more. They're easy enough to pull from another terrain (I try to include them in all mine, with some increased parking chances), or from another terrain cat. They ARE the same between 08 1stGens and SF2.

check the data inis for proper shader callouts; some 1stGen terrains require the REMOVAL of the Noise statements (gets rid of the land/water bleeds -except on DBS for reason)

when/if it crashes, are they any error messages?

wrench

kevin stein

No error messages. And when I mean by crash, I mean that I blow up on the runway... not a CTD. Ya know, I was going through all the .ini's, but I wasn't looking for that. I'll go back in and take another look. If I can get this to work, I'll see about uploading some of these old Gen1 terrains for SF2.

That sound like an airfield ini issue.

btw, most of 1st Gens just need a few lines added/changed, and a section removed (the noise statmemnts). It's in the sf2 KB (excepting the 'remove the noise bits ... guess I'll add that now)

wrench

kevin stein

That sound like an airfield ini issue.

btw, most of 1st Gens just need a few lines added/changed, and a section removed (the noise statmemnts). It's in the sf2 KB (excepting the 'remove the noise bits ... guess I'll add that now)

wrench

kevin stein

Yeah, I went through the KB and saw what you're talking about. Actually, that's what helped me in getting them to work in the first place... and it's the first place I went to get instructions on how to get this to work (one thing that I kind of missed though - which was mentioned by Dave in the SF1 KB - is that you need to creat a Terrains folder under [users/<name>Saved Games/ThirdWire/StrikeFighters2<version>]). It's not a texture issue... cause textures don't make you go boom! :grin:

So I did check the terrains' folders and there are no airfield.inis or LODs. Guess that's the problem. Might want to include that in the KB as well.

Edited by serverandenforcer

Actually, ALL the airfield lods are the same, in ALL terrains. Look at the targets & types inis for the differnt one; they all call the same lods for runways 1-6 (excepting the Soviet airbases in WoE/SF2E, they use a _NV suffix, as they're used in SF2V/WoV).

It's the ***_airfield.ini that makes the difference; that designates the parking, landing, taxi spots, where the hookers hang out, etc.

wrench

kevin stein

Hookers? WE have Hanger Ho's now boys!:grin: Seriously, I have been having same issue thanks all for bringing this up!

Hookers? WE have Hanger Ho's now boys!:grin:

great...that means I now have to come up with a building that can be "used" for that purpose! Me and my big mouth!! :clapping:

the question is ... would it be classed as "COMMAND_BUILDING" or what???? :dntknw:

wrench

kevin stein

Solved it! I was a moron and didn't clearly read what Dave posted in the KB for SF1. You have to go into the <terrain>_targets.ini file and change the airfield.ini that are being called by the AirfieldDataFile line... and I think that's what you meant Wrench. I was just too much of a moron and was looking for an actual .ini file in the terrain folder.

So, for anybody else who is having this problem...

1.) open your <terrain>_targets.ini file in your <terrain> folder

2.) search for AirfieldDataFile (there will be more than just one, and you will have to do the following steps for all of them)

3.) you will notice that the AirfieldDataFile is calling for a <name>airfield/airbase.ini (the GermanCE.cat file use the title airbase instead of airfield)

4.) change the name of this .ini file to the approriate name by finding what runway it's callig for (which would be located a couple lines under the AirfieldDatatFile line).

5.) use the following table (provided by Dave) to correctly change the name of the .ini file

Runway1: for the cat file from SF2V, VIETNAMSEA_AIRFIELD1.INI; for the cat file from SF2E, GERMAN_AIRBASE1.INI

Runway2: for the cat file from SF2V, VIETNAMSEA_AIRFIELD2.INI; for the cat file from SF2E, not available *

Runway3: for the cat file from SF2V, VIETNAMSEA_AIRFIELD3.INI; for the cat file from SF2E, GERMAN_AIRBASE5.INI

Runway4: for the cat file from SF2V, VIETNAMSEA_AIRFIELD4.INI; for the cat file from SF2E, SOVIET_AIRBASE3.INI

Runway5: for the cat file from SF2V, VIETNAMSEA_AIRFIELD5.INI; for the cat file from SF2E, SOVIET_AIRBASE1.INI

Runway6: for the cat file from SF2V, VIETNAMSEA_AIRFIELD6.INI; for the cat file from SF2E, GERMAN_AIRBASE6.INI

*You'll notice that there does not exist an "AirfieldDataFile" for Runway2 in the

GermanyCE.CAT. If you're using the GermanyCE.CAT file, you'll need to pick one

of the other 5 runway names, and the correct "AirfieldDataFile" for all

instances of Runway2, if you're using the GermanyCE.CAT file. - Dave

That means on the line that's calling out the runway number for Runway2, you'll have to change it to Runway1,3,4,5 or 6... if you're using the GermanyCE.cat file

Edited by serverandenforcer

great...that means I now have to come up with a building that can be "used" for that purpose! Me and my big mouth!! :clapping:

the question is ... would it be classed as "COMMAND_BUILDING" or what???? :dntknw:

wrench

kevin stein

it would be the MWR (morale, welfare, recreation) building of course!

that won't work for Runway2, as it's the 'small' medium runway, and has completly different placments for everything.

Why not just extract the Desert airfiield inis, drop them into the terrains folder, and shen and my grandmother would say? A whole hell of a lot less work!!

---

DA: PERFECT!!!

that won't work for Runway2, as it's the 'small' medium runway, and has completly different placments for everything.

Why not just extract the Desert airfiield inis, drop them into the terrains folder, and shen and my grandmother would say? A whole hell of a lot less work!!

---

DA: PERFECT!!!

Because I only have SF2E :cry:

its ok serverandenforcer. i was in that boat for a long time. just got SF2I and EXP1 one not for isreali airwars but for TW Vipers and Meteors. if your able to i too reccomend gettin more versions.

you don't have ANY 1stGen 08 versions at all??? Archived on a CD or anything???

well, why don't you d/l the latest ASW or Libya or SoCal or Himalayas or Madagasscar (ie: AE)...methinks you'll find what you need there....

Full-4 merged is the ONLY way to go....several upcoming mods will abso-frakking-lutely REQUIRE a full-4 merged install.

wrench

kevin stein

well, why don't you d/l the latest ASW or Libya or SoCal or Himalayas or Madagasscar (ie: AE)...methinks you'll find what you need there....

Full-4 merged is the ONLY way to go....several upcoming mods will abso-frakking-lutely REQUIRE a full-4 merged install.

wrench

kevin stein

dont say the new korea mod please. my budget to the end of the year only includes SF2 or the EXP2, not both and i really want the expansion pack.

also the MWR wont need full 4 merged will it:lol:

Edited by daddyairplanes

wrench

kevin stein

I can use 1stGen 08 versions in SF2E? Didn't know that. Wow, I really feel dumb now... guess I shouldn't have taken a 2 year vacation from this game.

send in...............the clowns...... hehehe

for further reading may i recommend this weekend..

http://combatace.com/forum/268-thirdwire-sf2-series-knowledge-base/

also somewhat off topic somewhat not, has anyone tried the various thunderbolts in Gen2. oddly w/o FM modification the original P-47N works best, better than the P-47N-15. avsims M and Wolf's D fly okay but control surfaces dont move. that original N is from 06 i believe. interesting.

You can even use 1stGen Terrain Cats, too. (08 Level ONLY!!!)

Before I bought SF2I, I had the IsraelME cat in with the others in the

C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2\Terrains folder

and it worked just fine (albeit without the new shader effects, but that too is an easy fix --- just extract the IsrealME.ini, and IsrealME_DATA.ini, create a new folder in the mods folder's /Terrains folder for IsrealME, drop them in there, and edit the data ini to add the new shaders. There's really nothing to it!!

As to the other mods coming, we're all waiting on the EXP2, mostly to see how our new FMs get hosed by any changes. Indo-Pak will definatly require full-4 +Expansion 1, although we are including Pasko's Vampire (even if TKs looks better). IIRC, the Mystre comes with both SF2I and SF2E, and that's required (and the desertcat for the terrain, maybe. I actually haven't tested it with the others, but it should work ok)

For KAW, we're trying to make sure it's 'stand alone', meaning we're supplying ALL the aircraft/objects needed. Although, EXP1 would be require for the C-47 (which gets a new natural metal skin in EXP2). We're still debating the MiG-15, though.

wrench

kevin stein

didin't see DA's question on Jug ...

yes, the N-15 works fine with some tweeking; I have it in the KAW mod, jsut for grins. The landing gear needs some adjusting, as it seems ot "drop" about 10 feet on mission start. FM, as always, needs an overhaul

Wolf's Jug never had moving control surfaces (in fact, most of his A/C dont). It's not a detriment, just eye candy.

as to the MWR, I'm sure I can find a suitable building; either a repurposed 'stock' item, or one from my vast store of them, courtesy Polak's Object Library 1. The question is -- would it be a single story or 2 story building (ala most of these type traditionally carried on that 'business' upstairs (think HBO's "Deadwood", or even the movie "Sand Pebbles", or any number of Westerns -- the saloon always had the 'Upstairs" for patrons to use)

wrench

kevin stein

as to KAW kewl that its self contained as to P-47s, if i am not actively engaged i tend to like to go with an external view so yeah no moving control surfaces is an irritant to me. however i was noticing today how the N-15 likes to snap roll to the right if you pull too hard on the stick (like in the middle of a dogfight with a Yak 9!) while the older plain N just bleeds speed wicked fast in Gen 2 hopefully one is high enough to get the nose pointed down and regain speed. both results put straight in Gen2 no adjustment yet for the transfer. as to the MWR, i teasing bout that. last thing we need in SF2 is for the Bunny Ranch to start franchising!