Sign in to follow this  
Wayfarer

Beware The 1st of June (1915)!

This just confirms something that has been mentioned before, If anyone is considering flying in the earlier period. I started with a British bomber pilot in February 1915, and have been using the TAC. After 24 missions, using time acceleration, I reached 1st of June. I then saw enemy aircraft on the TAC for the first time. In fact, on the second mission of the day Eindeckers pretty much ambushed us on takeoff!

This seemed rather unhistorical behaviour, but they look pretty good stooping on you from above (put me very much in mind of a certain illustration in the Ladybird 'History of Flight' book if anyone is old enough to remember that).

After both sides getting scattered all over, I pressed 'wingmen rejoin' and tried carrying on with the 'job'. This actually seemed to work, except that one Eindecker dogged my rearmost wingman all the way to the front and back to the airfield, where other Eindeckers were still cruising around (and not being shot at by any sort of ground defence to my dismay).

I had imagined that, at this time, the enemy fighters would be hovering over the front waiting for me to cross the lines, Immelmann style, rather than carrying out an aggressive fighter sweep. As I don't have HITR it made wonder, does it give more historical behaviour at all, or does it not really affect the early period?

Still, it adds even more interest knowing they'll be up there from now on!

Hi Mate,

welcome to my world.

I've been flying a BE2 campaign for months now - still alive, amazingly! - and I will concur with your views, on the proviso that I have Hitr (and you really should get it, it's excellent), which modifies AI behaviour, or rather allows you to choose AI aggression.

Always turn towards your Hun - they will attack your supine mates - and you might survive; anything else, other than a dive to the deck is suicide, unless you have Hitr and set enemy aggression to Historical, under which you'll see marvellous flying and fewer attacks.

Frankly, I'm not looking forward to 1917, still less 1918.

Cheers,

Si

uncleal, you are right there. It already annoyed me with some of my 'test' pilots (the one's where you see just how long you have to vertically dive a BE2 before the wings come off). I saw your post about it some time ago and reckoned it must apply to HITR.

Si, despite the lack of enemy aircraft so far, I also feel that the pilot has been lucky to survive being shot down by AA, piling up on landing (twice!), and doing a great vertical bank turn -to find himself heading directly for his three wingmen coming in the opposite direction!

I am definitely sold on HITR - it will probably go on my letter to Santa.

Wayfarer

Not every single squadron or even every single aircraft is in there yet. That alone is a massive undertaking.

Until it is there may be periods or places where you see more/less enemies obviously. In some places we substitute reasonably however try another time/place/squad.

I went into some depth on this in the FAQ

Question 29.

http://overflandersfields.com/FAQ#A29

Polovski, if you'd only done half what you've done with OFF I'd still be impressed! I just wanted to confirm what I'd found by sticking with this early period, for people who might be considering trying it. It seems as though not that many people stick with it. For me, reconnaissance and spotting in a BE2 represents the real 'job' that so many people did (and died doing) during that war.

I guess, however, that many people would like at least the chance of aerial combat and, for the moment, they would probably be best starting in June 1915. It wasn't disappointment that made me mention the Eindecker behaviour - more shock!

(P.S. but please don't let that stop you adding an early Aviatik if you ever really wanted to.)

Wayfarer, we are allowed to dream. And one day, we may see all the missing planes in the skies - the devs must be the first who want that.

You would get on very well with Hasse Wind - although he flies German side right now, he is a total two-seater fan.

An Aviatik, eyh?

Wasn't requested yet, as far as I know. We all have our little dreams - may they all come true one day.