Sign in to follow this  
fallenphoenix1986

New Rig Time, advice needed

Old rig died a couple of ours ago and I already had my eye on this.

I'm looking at the following system from Wired to Fire:
(Sim X1000) with a few alterations listed bellow*

I should note that in addition to the Thirdwire series & FSX I'll be using this system to run ProEngineer 4 & 5, rekon it should be ok however if anyone sees anything I should alter I'd appreciate the advice.

*Spec:

PSU: Xigmatek NRP-MC702 700W Power Supply

CPU: Core i7 875K 8MB Cache Socket 1156

Prolimatech Megahalem CPU Cooler

Card: Radeon HD5870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

RAM: 4GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz C8 Twin3X

HD: Samsung 500GB Spinpoint F3 16MB Cache SATA 300

Craig

Hi Mate,

I've just bought

i5 760 2.80ghz

Gigabyte P55 UD6

Gskill 1600mhz cl8 ddr3 4gb

Gigabyte GTX 470

Its being watercooled but I got 4ghz out of the i5 with 1.28 vcore. I didn't think it would be as good as it is, i'm really pleased and impressed with it.

The only piece of advise I got when picking mine was not to skimp on the motherboard, buy the best one you can afford. Overclocked the i5 760 is brilliant.

Bought mine from www.overclockers.co.uk fantastic prices, the mobo is in the clearance section.

Don't click "buy" on that 5870 just yet. The AMD 6900 series comes out next month (the 6800 just came out, and while the number implies it they are NOT faster, just cheaper/cooler--the 6870 is much less than a 5870 while being about 5-10% slower) and will be the new top dog from them.

Thanks for the heads up on the GPU, however time is a factor unfortunatly... I need Pro Eng ASAP.

Suppose an upgrade down the road is a possibility, unless there are any other cards I should look at at the moment.

On a side note why is it computers know precisely when to go boom?

I kid you not, the day after the coursework assingment is handed out it died.... :this:

Craig