Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

Back in the Campaigns...

Well I have returned to the fray once more... (My Laptop runs OFF wonderfully in some ways better than my old desktop did :blink:) anyway I digress... I am flying in a Bomber Jasta down near the Swiss border... I have only one question, so far, will someone for the love of mike tell me how to land the Roland CII !!! So far takeoffs are a breeze wind up the engine slowly to about 90% and a bit of rudder and airborne we are... Landing engine back to 0% settle gently like in the strutter and oh the left wing digs in every time... so far out of 10 landings 8 have ended in me pranging the kite... the other 2 times I still wrecked the left wing... Its always the left wing without fail... even on a perfect 3 pointer. I do have wind switched on but I orbit the field and figure out what way the wind is running and normally land into the wind perfectly. Apart from that not a lot I can think of...

I have not installed HiTR yet, I am awaiting my new Xmas Present my new desktop PC. A quad cored AMD Phenom II Black 3.2ghz, all I can afford at present due to moving. I was hoping my PC from the UK would make it but turns out there is a crack in the motherboard :this: Thankfully everything else is fine especially the video card...

Welcome back to the campaigns Slarti, you are right down in my region. My current pilot Paul Blum, formerly of FFA48 and now of Jasta 16, had a lot of practice with the Walfisch. Come in level with just enough speed to set the main wheels first, this way you can see where you are headed and the rudder still works effectively. Once you are firmly on the ground throttle back completely, (assuming you haven't done that already), and allow the tail to drop on its own. Provided you do not have a lot of crosswind you should be good from that point on. With TrackIR I found that I could actually get up partially out of my chair and could see past the nose as I taxied up to the hanger. You can also crouch way down and look under the top wing but you won't see much until you are quite close to the hanger, (or tree, or turck, or whatever else might be in your path). After a few practice landings I didn't find the Roland C.II that bad, and it is a treat to fight in, as two-seaters go.

BTW, here is Paul's ongoing tale, if you haven't already seen it:

Paul Blum's Story

Good luck Slarti.

Cheers!

Lou

Many thanks... I will give this a try as to press I have been attempting 3 pointers. As to Paul Blum I have been reading it whilst I have been away from the front. Still feels strange flying a German machine especially when the RFC guys across the lines are making my life interesting... and as to the FFA I think I am in the same one as your Paul Blum flying in 1916... The one great thing about the Walfisch is it does like its speed good for running away when trying to take on the Bebe's...

I am flying in a Bomber Jasta down near the Swiss border...

Slarti, a "Jasta" is a "Jagdstaffel" - directly translated: a hunting squadron; so a Jasta is fighters only. You would be in an FA (Feldflieger-Abteilung).

Maybe in P4, we will also get Kasta - Kampfstaffel, which also do bombing (sorry, couldn't stop myself).

Lou must know the "Walfisch" well by now, so his advice must work. I also flew the crate several times, and I prefered to come in with full throttle

(like I also do with the SPAD), very shallow, and fully reduce throttle only at touch down. Try what works best for you.

When you fly with TrackIR: a "trick" I use (it's like Lou's lifting off the chair a bit) is to duck in my seat, press the "center view" command, and then sit

straight again. That way I can look over the top wing quite well.

I am flying in a Bomber Jasta down near the Swiss border...

Slarti, a "Jasta" is a "Jagdstaffel" - directly translated: a hunting squadron; so a Jasta is fighters only. You would be in an FA (Feldflieger-Abteilung).

Maybe in P4, we will also get Kasta - Kampfstaffel, which also do bombing (sorry, couldn't stop myself).

Lou must know the "Walfisch" well by now, so his advice must work. I also flew the crate several times, and I prefered to come in with full throttle

(like I also do with the SPAD), very shallow, and fully reduce throttle only at touch down. Try what works best for you.

When you fly with TrackIR: a "trick" I use (it's like Lou's lifting off the chair a bit) is to duck in my seat, press the "center view" command, and then sit

straight again. That way I can look over the top wing quite well.

Well Track IR I have not yet got round too... and I apologise but the squadron I am with feel like a hunting squadron... Rolands that carry no bombs and go out chasing Crumpet fighters... that to me is hunting especially in the Walfisch...

You're right there, Slart, as long as we don't have Kasta in OFF, the Roland seem to share the job.

Sorry, didn't want to be teaching.

You're right there, Slart, as long as we don't have Kasta in OFF, the Roland seem to share the job.

Sorry, didn't want to be teaching.

It's okay it helps as at the present I am attempting to learn Deutsch Austrian Style along with the food the schanpps the wine... the ladies... :heat:

Thanks for the advice... but I need the crosswinds its fun even though life gets interesting... normally with draggers I have no problem in FSX or FS2004 or other crates in OFF but the Walfisch just gives me problems on the landing...

...at the present I am attempting to learn Deutsch Austrian Style along with the food the schanpps the wine... the ladies...

Good combination to learn Austrian (which I find very hard to imitate); the Schnaps may help to twist the toung enough,

and the ladies make it all worth it.