Sign in to follow this  
NS13Jarhead

Forgive me, Father

Well, I've been busy doing other things - work, shuttling kids around, and using most of my computer time feeding my addiction to StarCraft 2. Well, long story short, while I'm sittng at the indoor pool with my kid for 2 hours at a time, 4 days a week, I've been going through re-reading some books of mine. One of them, "To the Last Man" by Jeff Shaara is a First World War "historical fiction" novel. Where the story follows real characters, but creates likely, but unrecorded, dialogs based on the situations and personalities of the characters. The four main ones are Raoul Lufberry, Manfred von Richtofen, John Pershing, and a fictional U.S. Marine, Roscoe Templeton. Anyway, the parts about Lufberry and Richtofen got me re-energized about WW I aviation and I pulled the old Saitek X45 out of the bottom desk drawer and fired up OFF again. I'd forgotten just how much of a challenge it is. I promptly killed off two pilots in two days. I need to reenlist in Jasta 11 with my trusty Albatros D.II. Crewchief, please have it painted red for me.

Welcome back to the front... :drinks:

I spent 4 months away due to moving countries, I am loving the challenge of getting back into the air it is good for the old grey matter. Shame I can't land the Walfisch with any style at all...

Not flown OFF for months??? That would be like flying to the moon without oxygen supply - how did you survive that???? :blink:

Jasta 11 is a perfect choice for re-entry, Jarhead. I also just began flying with them.

I hadn't been flying with them so much, and so I realise now, how different the "poor", "average", "good" and "elite" units are

really programed. I just wrote it in "Reports from the Front" - an elite unit like Jasta 11 is flying perfectly following Dicta Boelcke.

They won't give up altitude, they keep fighting helping each other. They will care for you like Marines. Well, they may sometimes

take your kills away. But they are of great assistance, and so far, we have always returned almost complete. Yesterday, I had

only one man putting his craft down damaged, out of 7 wingmen I had! And we had fought Brisfits!

If I may give you an advice, that a Marine should understand perfectly well:

Don't go for your kill collection! Fly for the unit; merge with the unit; just be there and try to do all the right things; forget claims!

You may survive for a longer time that way, and if so, the kill tally will grow anyway - even without forcing it.

I've enjoyed that book also. Ii am another that has only flown once in the last 4-5 weeks. A fishing trip (Yes, Simon, it was very good); a week of being sick where I could hardly sit at the computer and then (I almost hate to admit it) a fantastic combat flight sim with the A-10 Warthog by DCS (I think they are formerly Eagle Dynamics). There are a few posts about it in another forum on ths web site. Very cool, very intense with lots of study involved. But me days of feeling the fresh wind on my face are soon here.

Welcome back NS13Jarhead. I can appreciate being busy with family and work and such. Taking time to read a good WWI related book is definitely time well spent and keeps you in the mood. Best of luck in Jasta 11, give my regards to Manfred.

Have been grounded for months now, too! Just too much to do. My squadron mates will have to do wihtout me for a while still. They're probably happy with that, haven't heard them complain! :grin:

Foreigndevil, the only reason you haven't heard complaints from your squadron mates is because they haven't completely emptied your liquor cabinet yet. Once they've drained that and finished dividing up your French postcards and the other personal items you left in your quarters for safekeeping they'll be wanting you to return. You should never trust a locked door to airmen with access to tools, especially durning the rainy months.

:grin: