Sign in to follow this  
jamieandnici

My Pilot never dies

I've been playing OFF for a while now but have recently installed a few mods such as Creaghorns Homebrew (Hangar music, more german names, Bloom/HDR effects, and Spandau sound files), HPWDM 2.3, Sound Tweaks II (+fixes) and Realistic Tracer Effects using the excellent JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler. However, I am sure these mods aren't to blame, but whenever I get shot down and crash or get turned into a raging flying inferno in either Quick Combat or Full DiD Campaign I am NEVER presented with the 'Your pilot has died' screen at the end of the mission and can (if I wish) proceed to the next mission. I have unchecked the Pilot Never Dies tab in QC and the realism settings are set to Hard/Dead is Dead/Historical etc. in the Workshop for Campaign settings. !! I know this is a weird question, but is there anything I can do to make my pilots die? as this is annoying me now!! I do start a new pilot if I feel that I have duely 'gone west', or may decide to contine if I feel the parameters are 'realistic' enough that it would/may be possible to survive a crash but my pilot never gets hospitalised for x amount of days. Is there a way to bring back my pilots mortality in this sim? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by jamieandnici

I don't know the answer but am just asking what I think someone else will - did your pilots die before adding the mods?

Hopefully someone with more experience will be along to help soon.

There are 3 choices in Workshop dealing with the Longevity of your pilot, each has it's Pro's and Con's.

I thinbk he knows that, uncleal. He mentions changing his Workshop settings but to no avail.

I don't think that my HPWDM2.3 is to blame, but I will take a look into it. During development and testing, I set my realism settings to pilot never dies. Perhaps I should have reset it to Hard/Historical after I was finished testing??

I don't think that my HPWDM2.3 is to blame, but I will take a look into it. During development and testing, I set my realism settings to pilot never dies. Perhaps I should have reset it to Hard/Historical after I was finished testing??

I have been playing with your mod for a while now and have updated to 2.3 from 2.2, but this was still happening in 2.2 a week ago before I updated. I have had an absence from the sim for a month or two and came back to it. Before then I had your mod running (great mod btw), realistic tracers and effects and Sound Tweak II with no problems (pilots dying all the time in Full single player Campaign). Since coming back and playing the sim for over a week now, I noticed that when my pilots get shot down etc. they don't die on full Campaign DiD settings with historical accuracy or in Quick Combat even with the Pilot Never Dies tab unticked. It is a weird puzzle/problem and I suspect it may be due to some kind of corrupt file in my Over Flanders Fields directory. Thats my hunch anyway. Other than this the sim runs fine. I fly with a Thrustmaster 16000M joystick, Saitek throttle quadrant (throttle and mix) and CH Pro Rudder Pedals. I also use Trackir 5 (with TrackClip Pro) as well. (none of this is relevant but I thought I'd mention it anyway)!!

Thanks for replying and feedback guys. greatly appreciated.

Edited by jamieandnici

I don't know the answer but am just asking what I think someone else will - did your pilots die before adding the mods?

Hopefully someone with more experience will be along to help soon.

Yes!!

Hi

I have the same problem! :blink:

Before in BHaH without mods my pilots got killed. After installing mods and HiTR I haven’t got killed for a long time.

I have always enabled the “Dead is dead” setting in the OFF Workshop and I’m using the same mods as jamieandnici mentioned.

I would be very grateful to any tips how to solve this annoying problem!

Cheers

vonOben

Hi

I’ve made some tests flying in QC with an Albatros DV. There’s a steep hill at the end of the airfield so I fly in 175 km/h straight into the hill. :suicide2:

I tested this with HPWDM2.3 installed, with the rest of the mods installed but not HPWDM2.3 and with no mods only default HiTR.

The result was the same in all test: the pilot survived every time! :crazy:

What can be the cause of this problem?

Any suggestions what to try?

Are we the only ones with this problem? :blink:

Cheers

vonOben

Hej to all,

have the same problem as you guys, running HiTR with the same mods as you do. Pilot never dies. Even after deactivating all mods the problem still persists...

Seems to be that I have to reinstall and activate one mod after the other to figure out which one or which combination is causing troubles. It´s a pitty, because they are all good!

I´ll report again...

that's strange for sure. all i can say is that no mod of me is connected in the slightest way to anything related to workshop or pilots data or death settings. it's more or less just soundfiles and eyecandy stuff. but nothing related to any of the managed things.

also i'm nonetheless able to die when trying. so that's a strange behaviour.

Edited by Creaghorn

Hi

Well as I wrote in my previous post I disabled all mods and did the same test without mods in HiTR and the result was exactly the same as I had with the mods in use.

The pilot survived flying into a hill in 175 km/h….

This is very strange! :help:

If there are no other ideas a reinstall is the only way I can think of.

Cheers

vonOben

Hej to all,

after a reinstall and a lot of activating and deactivating of the above mentioned mods ( and lots of intentional crashing) it seems to be able for me to use all of them now (Sound tweak II, Creaghorns home brew, tracer and affect modifications). The only problem seems to be the 2.3 version of Herr Prop-Wasches Damage model. Version 2.1 works fine, so maybe it has to do with the testing of your mod with pilot never dies activated, Herr Prop-Wasche? Seems to corrupt something in the aircraft folder, because the strange behaviour persists with the mod deactivated. I found a workaround to avoid a complete reinstall: Simple deactivate the mod, delete the aircraft folder (...OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\aircraft...) then copy and paste this folder from an uncorrupted backup version if you have one, then install the 2.1 version if you like to. Works for me. Happy to be able to use your wonderful mods again, thank you!

Hope this helps.

Hi

I’ve also made some detective work in this area and I found some strange things:

After I had installed HPWDM2.3 all *.bdp files in the aircraft subfolders had also been changed a few minutes after the installation. Perhaps when I started OFF?

I have tried installing older DM versions but the *.bdp files doesn’t want to change back.

I don’t know if the *bdp files are the reason for this problem but it’s a bit suspicious! :blink:

Cheers

vonOben

Hmm, the weight of the evidence seems to be that versions of my DM since 1.1 may be responsible for this problem. :tomato: Sorry.

It's weird, because all I did was change my pilot settings in Workshop to pilot never dies in order to test out the damage model because I was tired of creating new pilots all the time after getting killed!

Unfortunately, I will have to reinstall OFF in order to reset my pilot settings and test the DM because I violated the first rule of modding and forgot to save a backup version of my aircraft folder--actually, I had a backup of the aircraft folder but lost it somewhere along the way. So, the fix will probably be a few days off.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Not to beat a dead horse, but my pilot just got "killed" but didn't die also under the same circumstances! Manually updating his dossier to make him dead though since there's no way he could have survived what just happened!

Sorry for the delay in the fix, guys. I'm currently working on an FM mod that I have finally been able to get to work in the campaign, and I don't want to forget how I got it to work before I start on another project. The fix shouldn't be more than a few days away, assuming I can figure out what is causing the problem.

Until then, just use your best judgment in deciding if your pilot died from that flaming crash into the ground at 200 mph! :crutch:

No worries, it's easy enough to roll a die and update the pilot's dossier manually in the meantime

Hi

Problem solved thanks to Kaische who kindly sent me the default HitR bdp-files! :good:

I’ve tested HiTR without the HPWDM mods and with the default bdp-files and my pilot dies now! :grin:

But I haven’t been able to kill my pilot in HPWDM 1.0 and 2.0. I haven’t tried the other versions though.

I’ve also discussed the matter with Herr Prop-Wasche and he explained how it works.

If you load new xpd files (damage files) with a later date than the bdp-files the bdp-files get updated when you start OFF. If you unload the HPWDM mod the updated bdp-files are not changed because they have a later date than the default xpd-files.

If any one needs the default HitR bdp-files, send me a PM an I’ll attach a zip-file with the bdp-files organised in folders so you can easily load it with JSGME.

S!

vonOben

Thanks vonOben. I hope to have a fix ready for the latest version of my DM sometime over the Thanksgiving weekend. However, I am attending my gradson's christening on Saturday, so I may not be able to meet the deadline. Soon, though!

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

No problem Herr Prop-Wasche, take your time! :drinks:

I’m running the default HitR FM and that’s fine for the time being, since a All HPWDM versions I have tried has had the pilot never dies problem.

Have you found what is causing the problem?

Cheers

vonOben

No, I haven't found the exact cause of the problem yet. However, even if I can't figure out what is causing the problem, if worst comes to worst, I can always create three versions of the program: one for Dead is Dead, one for Normal, and one for Pilot never Dies. The only difference in the three programs will be in the Workshop setting and not in the .xdp or .bdp files.

Solution found!

Good news. I have discovered what was causing the problem. Apparently, OFF did not like me changing the hit points for the pilot from 40 to 35. After I changed the value back to the original value, I found I was able to "die" again. I can also switch from any of the settings without having to delete or deactivate the the DM. I have tested four or five planes, and so far, they all seem to work. I still need to do some testing, and I need to write up some brief notes in the readme about the changes, but I hope to have the fix up for download by the end of the weekend.

Not sure why but my pilot dies and I'm using them mod.

Check to make sure that you have correctly installed the mod. Every version since 2.0 has had the change to the pilot hit points.

Edit: Also, if you were flying the Nieuport 11 your pilot could still die, because I hadn't noticed until now that my DM failed to include the N11. The N11 will be included with the latest revision.

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

Solution found!

Good news. I have discovered what was causing the problem. Apparently, OFF did not like me changing the hit points for the pilot from 40 to 35. After I changed the value back to the original value, I found I was able to "die" again. I can also switch from any of the settings without having to delete or deactivate the the DM. I have tested four or five planes, and so far, they all seem to work. I still need to do some testing, and I need to write up some brief notes in the readme about the changes, but I hope to have the fix up for download by the end of the weekend.

Well done Herr Prop-Wasche!

This is great news! :good:

I've been missing your DM very much. Flying OFF without it hasn’t been as challenging as before.

:drinks:

S!

vonOben