Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

Back to being British...

Well after my daliance attempting to fly and land the Walfishe my pilot finally surrendered to the fates and got into a fight with a French ace who shot me to bits and as I was over some very hilly terrain my luck finally left the plane augered in after stalling...

So after some thought I went back to what I know... The old trusty Sopwith Strutter in my opinion is one of the most underrated planes... So back to RNAS-5 to cause trouble by the sea... Take off easy landing easy shooting down an Ennie 63 shots from the Vickers up front and job complete getting bounced shortly afterwards byhis 3 mates was great fun I was dancing all over the sky putting shots into them all, my wingmen where nowhere to be seen, dragged the fight over some flak and the Ennies gave up and went home 2 smoking... Comparing the Strutter to the Rolland CII...

The Strutter doesnt have the speed but it climbs better and does to me turn better also it doesnt have problems down near stall speed. Take off and landings for me are also easier in the Strutter I can just firewall the throttle and away we go the Roland needs more care.

Of the 2 planes the Strutter is the easier to fly the Roland though has the advantage of speed which means you can force the engagement and dive away when required the Strutter though doesn't have this advantage but it does move better and is great fun for doing stall turns...

For the beginner the Strutter is the plane and even though I have flown it many many times and love it dearly it still returns me home well most times and no fear on the landings... I will return to the Roland once I have built up more experience in flying again though...

Oh ye of little Germanic faith! :grin: But I do know how you feel about flying for King George V, it took me a while to get comfortable on the eastern side of the mud. Best of luck in the Strutter Slarti, that is still my second favorite plane in the OFF hanger, (Camel of course being the first).

The Strutter feels great, if you like flying two-seaters.

If you ever fly German two-seats again, Slartibartfast, I highly recommend to you the DFW C.V.

She is a rather ugly appearance, but so reliable. She will carry you comfortably to highest altitudes.

You will find only one rather disturbing thing - an engine block in front of you - but that crate climbs away from

Nieuports with strength and good speed; she is easy to fly and to land; and I even made aerial victories in the kite.

And that hot engine block may even keep your nose warm in winter.

But I assume, the real reason you went back to the left side of the line, was to have baked beans, toast and scrambled

eggs with bacon for breakfast. I understand that. It could almost make me change sides.

Thanks guys... well the breakfasts could have something to do with it Herr Olham as here in Vienna its one thing I have missed... oh Dont forget the Apple Pie the Sunday afternoon roast... I will be going back in the air on the German side as I have an Ennie Pilot set up as well... So I can compare side by side the start of the war... and see what happens :drinks:

The DFW is easily the best two-seater in OFF. I mean a real two-seater, used for recon, arty spotting and most importantly, bombing. The Brisfit is of course the best one in air combat. The Strutter is excellent, but lacks the amazing engine performance of the DFW and doesn't have a bombsight, which makes high-altitude bombing extremely difficult. But it's very useful as a heavy fighter in 1916 and eats Eindeckers for breakfast.

Almost every Entente two-seater before the excellent French types (and some British, like the DH.4) that saw large-scale service only in 1918 was woefully underpowered compared to German two-seaters. This made them easier for Germans to shoot down. I've flown a lot in a BE2 in OFF, and while it's definitely fun to cruise around peacefully, it's not a plane meant for air war after 1916. So underpowered, so slow, so clumsy. The RE8 does have a more powerful engine, but not good enough compared to German two-seaters.

It will be interesting to see what kind of changes the devs are making for P4. Will more planes have real bombsights?