Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

OT: Wings of Prey updated for more options

I was poking around and saw that yuplay has updated Wings of Prey (WWII flight sim) to 1.0.3.2. Among the updates included in the patch is that it looks like they took a page from OBD Software and added a lot more options to control the flight experience. It used to be you had just 3 choices - Arcade, Realistic and Simulation. Now there is a Custom Options setting that lets you change a bunch of different aspects, such as blackouts / red-outs on or off, damage model type, a ton of HUD options, etc. While still not as good as the options in OFF:BH&H, after loading it up and giving it a try I found it to be a real hoot. I'm actually playing through their Campaign (which is not dynamic - Boo) and having a lot of fun. If you already have it but haven't patched it to 1.0.3.2 lately, you might want to give it a try again.

Here are a couple quick videos I made of some of the fun to be had in this WWII game.

Wings of Prey Dover Defense (4:48) 1080 HD

Wings of Prey Coastline Ship Attack (1:44) 1080 HD

Supposedly they added a whole German Air Campaign as well. I haven't seen it yet though.

Enjoy

Hellshade

Supposedly they added a whole German Air Campaign as well. I haven't seen it yet though.

Enjoy

Hellshade

If you pay, you'll see it.

Hellshade great vids shows the great visuals of WoP off well. BTW the german campaign is a purchasable add-on "Wings of Luftwaffe".

I did pay the $15 for the Luftwaffe Campaign, but I am still busy working my way through the Allied campaign at the moment. Even though the campaign isn't dynamic like OFFs and you are essentially flying in a "fishbowl", I must say they do a pretty good job of giving a variety of different missions. Destroy AA guns around an airfield, intercept german cargo aircraft at night, destroy tanks on the streets of Stalingrad, intercept huge waves of bombers, protect ships from Stuka dive bombers, destroy enemy ships off the coast, etc. All in all a lot of fun, although why the voice actor for the Russian missions sounds like Rocky Balboa is beyond me. I don't think it has anywhere near the historical accuracy or open ended appeal that OFF has, but taken for what it is I find it quite enjoyable. It's definately a challenge trying to line up enemy aircraft at speeds nearing 350 Mph. Head to head passes are over in a split second and its very easy to lose track of your target when you fly with all HUD info turned off (as I do). At any rate, for those who took it off their HD, like I did, you may want to think about reloading it and updating it. It's a better experience than when it first came out.

Hellshade

I wonder how Storm of War:Battle of Britain by Oleg will measure up to this. I've been waiting ( not so patiently ) for the day it releases. But boy, Wings of Prey sure does look pretty, and now it's even customizable! Curse you Hellshade and your amazing videos!:tongue: So many games! Not enough time!

Of course P4 is somewhere just around the corner too!:grin:

I wonder how Storm of War:Battle of Britain by Oleg will measure up to this.

One word: heavier.

Have you seen the videos that were made at the IGROMIR 2010?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EvpTp12IcM&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYYFlTzkI0M

The computer was a: I5-760 , 2GB ram, GTX 460. Interesting, isn't it? :yikes:

It looks like... stop motion.

Wings of Prey Sicily Campaign Fighter Sweep (3:26) 1080HD

Little bastards came out in force to defend their airspace. At one point I looked behind me to suddenly discover I had what appeared to be an entire squadron on my tail! Rather intense.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

I played Birds of Prey on the 360 and it wasn't really what I was looking for. How accurate does the 'simulation' aspect of the PC version feel? The visuals are certainly gorgeous, it'd be amazing if it was as realistic as OFF and had a nice dynamic campaign to go along with it.

Could someone who's running the PC version of this answer some questions for me?

1. Does this come on disk(s) or do you have to download it?

2. What kind of DRM does it force on you?

3. Do you have to be logged on to some shady server to play?

4. Can you turn off that damn music while flying?

TIA

Those videos are awesome but it's so bizarre watching them after having strictly played OFF a while. Looks like you're watching stuff from hundreds of years in the future in comparison! Amazing how fast tech improved between WW1 and WW2. Just the speeds involved blow me away.

...for sanity's sake I choose not to watch any vids of Falcon 4.0

Could someone who's running the PC version of this answer some questions for me?

1. Does this come on disk(s) or do you have to download it? I bought it off Steam. I'm not sure if it's available on DVD but I think I saw box cover art shown somewhere.

2. What kind of DRM does it force on you? I have to connect to Steam (which I hate but I put up with). I don't think the DVD version would require that but who knows.

3. Do you have to be logged on to some shady server to play? In order to play the campaigns it requires you to connect to Yuplay servers, so this probably isn't the game for you.

4. Can you turn off that damn music while flying? Yes.

TIA

Hellshade

I played Birds of Prey on the 360 and it wasn't really what I was looking for. How accurate does the 'simulation' aspect of the PC version feel? The visuals are certainly gorgeous, it'd be amazing if it was as realistic as OFF and had a nice dynamic campaign to go along with it.

If you turn off all of the arcade features and set it to realistic, it feels quite realistic indeed. I'll try to post a video with the blackouts, stalls, etc. That's what I love about the 1.0.3.2 patch is now it is a lot more like OFFs wonderful Workshop settings. You can custom tailor it to your flying preferences. Unfortunately it is not a dynamic campaign. Not much approaches OFF in that kind of quality.

Hellshade

Looks nice, Hellshade, and some day I may get "Wings of Prey".

But so far I am still totally absorbed by OFF - I just can't seem to get bored with it.

Von Paulus: The computer was a: I5-760 , 2GB ram, GTX 460. Interesting, isn't it? :yikes:

It looks like... stop motion.

Sheesh! I bought my current computer in 2008 ( e8400, 4 GB ram ) anticipating the release of this game in THAT year. It's still not released! I also recently upgraded my video card...to a...wait for it... GTX 460. *sigh*

Oh, well. The new card runs OFF amazingly! All sliders are pushed to 5!

Curses! At first I was fired up that they had released a new upgrade but 1.0.3.2 is from, what, six, seven months ago? Regardless, I agree WoP is fun despite a few frustrating areas (greenish filter, no bomber cockpits). I have read they are revamping everything and releasing a "new" WoP (my "details" on that may be sketchy) before going to the PTO. IMO, that theatre would better serve WoP because their maps are small anyway. With their beautiful scenery imagine Hawaii or Iwo Jima or Guadalcanal, etc? Anyway, WoP is no arcade joke as regards surviving a mission. Its immersion is great too, flying through cloud shadows, roiling smoke, buzzing 109s, etc. The IL2 missions at Stalingrad are great. Although they need to back down their rain visibility--it's hard IFR. Even Doolittle couldn't find his way around in that stuff and there is no ILS.

Man, BoP sure did end up looking a lot better (ie - playable) on the PC vs the 360!

My time is consumed by WW1 simulators, but WoP certainly looks nice. Maybe I'll give it a try some day.

And hopefully the new BoB sim will run on normal PC's when it's released - they won't have too many customers if you need to have two graphics cards, 8 gigs of memory and the latest multicore processor to make the sim run decently. :cool:

Looks nice, Hellshade, and some day I may get "Wings of Prey".

But so far I am still totally absorbed by OFF - I just can't seem to get bored with it.

Wings of Prey is a very enjoyable experience and I am having a blast, but it doesn't have what it takes to replace OFF as my primary flight sim.

Wings of Prey has a brand new flight sim engine to give it better visuals than OFF, however even there the screen shots of P4 look to close the distance in that gap too. OFF just has too much attention to detail and history where as WoP, while certainly difficult to master, is all about immediate gratification from exciting visual feedback. It works beautifully for what it is, but other than being a combat flight simulator, the similiarities between the two end very quickly. If you are looking to create a pilot to try and live through the war, WoP just doesn't have the depth to support the emotional attachment to a pilot that OFF does. In my opinion, its that personal attachment to our pilots in a historically accurate world that lends tremendously to the addictiveness of OFF.

Essentially, with Wings of Prey you are trying to finish a Mission.

In Over Flanders Fields you are trying to survive a War.

The difference emotionally can be quite significant, in my opinion.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

That's it exactly Hellshade. My current pilot has the most hours and highest score for me to date. I feel more and more anxious every time I take to the air knowing that this could be the mission that ends his life. The ability to name your pilot, pick his squadron, and now I hear even paint your own craft:cool:, just adds so much to your investment in this game.

I also feel terrible when I learn my wingman is injured or killed, as I feel somewhat responsible for him as well.

Javito asked how authentic it felt when set to max realism settings.

Wings of Prey "Realistic Settings" (3:20) 1080HD

The main differences you will be able to see when you switch everything to realistic are:

1. No HUD aids at all. You are on your own up there to find and see everything, including little speck sized fighters against the backdrop of the city below you. That's a real pain. (It's Berlin down there, btw)

2. Black outs and hard breathing from G forces. Also you'll notice that the sounds change and seem muted or distant. A nice touch to help make you feel like you're losing touch with reality as the blood drains from your head.

3. Red outs from negative G forces as I push the nose of my P-51D down too quickly to try and catch a 109

4. Torque effects and stability issues when trying to push the plane too hard, causing the nose to bounce around a bit or even make the craft fall into a spin

5. Damage effects. The first kill was Pure Damn Luck to be so fast and brutal. Most of the time, like with the second plane, you put some holes in them and they lose control or perhaps you shoot a wing off.

Here is the Replay video of the mission. Playing that back I can flip between cockpit and external views of the plane so you get a better idea of what the FM is doing.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Javito asked how authentic it felt when set to max realism settings.

Wings of Prey "Realistic Settings" (3:20) 1080HD

The main differences you will be able to see when you switch everything to realistic are:

1. No HUD aids at all. You are on your own up there to find and see everything, including little speck sized fighters against the backdrop of the city below you. That's a real pain. (It's Berlin down there, btw)

2. Black outs and hard breathing from G forces. Also you'll notice that the sounds change and seem muted or distant. A nice touch to help make you feel like you're losing touch with reality as the blood drains from your head.

3. Red outs from negative G forces as I push the nose of my P-51D down too quickly to try and catch a 109

4. Torque effects and stability issues when trying to push the plane too hard, causing the nose to bounce around a bit or even make the craft fall into a spin

5. Damage effects. The first kill was Pure Damn Luck to be so fast and brutal. Most of the time, like with the second plane, you put some holes in them and they lose control or perhaps you shoot a wing off.

Here is the Replay video of the mission. Playing that back I can flip between cockpit and external views of the plane so you get a better idea of what the FM is doing.

Hellshade

It would be nice to have a replay function like that in OFF. Perhaps P4 :dntknw:.

I have wop...(also available on Steam)

Will try the new patch, in the hope it improves my opinion of it.

It always seemed to have a 'Whiteout' effect on my PC...where it felt like I was flying into the Sun all the time...indeed, that's one of the reasons I dont like ROF either.

Perhaps I'll have another look, now I have a new Graphics card :drinks:

That's it exactly Hellshade. My current pilot has the most hours and highest score for me to date. I feel more and more anxious every time I take to the air knowing that this could be the mission that ends his life. The ability to name your pilot, pick his squadron, and now I hear even paint your own craft:cool:, just adds so much to your investment in this game.

I also feel terrible when I learn my wingman is injured or killed, as I feel somewhat responsible for him as well.

My current pilot is my most successful ever (including my days in RB3D) and I'm very attached to him. This makes me EXTREMELY anxious every time I go up because it's Sept 1918 in my campaign and I know the war is almost over, I'm just terrified he'll be killed at the last minute

Cannot get my Joystick to work at all!

I have read they are revamping everything and releasing a "new" WoP (my "details" on that may be sketchy) before going to the PTO. IMO, that theatre would better serve WoP because their maps are small anyway. With their beautiful scenery imagine Hawaii or Iwo Jima or Guadalcanal, etc? Anyway, WoP is no arcade joke as regards surviving a mission. Its immersion is great too, flying through cloud shadows, roiling smoke, buzzing 109s, etc.

I would be extremely interested in seeing this flight sim take on the Pacific Theater of Operations. I believe the Marines mastered close air support when straffing and bombing japanese positions that were literally mere yards away from American ground forces. Those would be intense missions indeed, not to mention attacking aircraft carriers, destroyers and intercepting fighters. Maybe even some sub hunting. Any idea when they might release it?

As for revamping things, I would highly recommend they take the OFF approach and allow you to make a virtual pilot to try and survive the war with. It would really add a lot of emotional connection to the game. Right now the missions are very cool, but there really isn't any consequence if you fail or get shot down. You just refly it. In OFF, no matter what the mission is you don't take it for granted because in a dynamic campaign, anything can happen and if you get shot down, chances are your pilot dies. It adds an edge to every mission you fly knowing that you could be jumped by enemy fighters at any time, no matter what you are doing, not just when the script says they will be showing up.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade