Sign in to follow this  
landrover

old games

Hi every one

Is there anyway i can play my old games ie [uS NAVY FIGHTERS by EA released 1994] on my current system which is windows 2000xp +geforce 8800 gts card ? any help much appreciated thanks

Possibly by using the Old Dosbox freeware but not too sure on that as I have not tried it myself...

Hey, in 1994 it wasn't bad! I think I preferred the one in Jetfighter over its contemporaries for looks, but JF was probably the worst of the lot. I mean it had mandatory carrier quals before you could play the game! Day and night! That and no external cameras other than your own plane and a runway tower/carrier air boss -> player view was lame. I literally never saw any planes in the game but the ones I could fly. The others were always too far to see! One time I got within half a mile of a MiG-25 during a dogfight trying to get a guns kill which let me see the distinctive tail shape no bigger than the letters in the Combat Ace logo. ONCE.

Of course F-14:Fleet Defender was the best sim but had mediocre graphics even by the standards of the day.

Thanks for all your replies much appreciated got it running. graphics are rubbish would liked to have used the sounds ie call the ball etc and the working meatball but cant extract them

Regards

Landrover

The next Aces game was to be Desert Fighters. An alpha was released but it was then cancelled and the team disbanded post-RB3D. Very sad.

US Navy Fighters by EA was my first real combat flight sim I bought myself. Everything about it was beautiful to me. I was so excited to be flying Tomcats and A-7s and Intruders off of carriers out over the ocean. And those great cut scenes! Yep, USNF is one of my babies and certainly nostaligic for me.

I believe Fighters Anthology has a include patch to allow you to run it on windows XP. That has everthing. (except the campaign cutscenes and such from USNF)

I find myself dissapointed with old games..they're superb at the time..but don't wear well

Depends how old, really. I find most games from the 90s are a disappointment to go back to, although I did recently start replaying the old Dark Forces games.

If it's less than 10 yrs old, however, I find games like Deus Ex still hold up very well.

Don't tell me no one has tried playing this :blink:

http://fshistory.simflight.com/fsvault/fs1-apple.htm

OMG that takes me back!

(actually FS5.1 is surprisingly good looking for it's age I thought)

What really used to p*$$ me off about older games at the time, was the fantastic cover designs...that were absolutely NOT anything whatsoever related to the quality of the Game!

Nowadays, games are so realistic...that ingame scenes are being used more and more as cover artwork!

(it's a great time to be a computer game fan...especially for us older guys, who can still remember the 1980's-1990's

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

For graphics, yes. For content, no. I remember when every month there was at least 1 new sim of some type on the shelves. The last few years of the decade saw the release of more sims than the entire decade since! Sure some were crap, but there was choice and competition and there was some real greats. Because graphics were so limited, they spent all their time on making sure things worked well and the sim was engaging and enjoyable.