Sign in to follow this  
Foofighter

RE: Cougar posts

I have a Cougar that had to be replaced and the replacement has the speedbrake problem. I don't have the time or the patience to keep tweaking or fixing rather than flying.

I have a love/hate relationship with this thing. I love the way it feels in your hands. But when I deploy the speedbrake it feels "sloppy" but it works. I'm just worried about reliability.

Here's what I've owned in the past:

Ch Flightstick

CH Pro Flightstick that lasted forever,

TM Top gun (can't rememeber) but was an early model Throttle and Flightstick.

CH F-16 Fighterstick and Pro Throttle gameport, same TM rudders...

still worked when given away. Except I still own rudders.

Top Gun Afterburner USB that worked great. I just wore it out after 2 years. Inexpensive too.

Top Gun Afterburner Pro that I still use on my second machine and works great. Same as above.

CH Flight Sim Yoke gameport.

Ch Flight Sim Yoke Pro USB that I use for Fs2k4.

MS Sidewinder Game voice.

TM Hotas Cougar w/ pedals (same pedals from above that I have had for years).

I have never had ANY problems with the CH stuff that I've owned. As a matter of fact I tortured that CH Pro Flightstick gameport and gave it away when I upgraded. It still works today because my friend still uses it in one of his older machines.

I loved my CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle gameport but was stupid enough to give it away when I got the Cougar.

I like my cougar but think the maintenance hours per flight are a pain in the butt.

Ghostdog,

I read your post about the upgraded software, does it help?

I am just wondering if I should sell my Cougar and use that money towards getting the CH F-16 Fighterstick, Pro-throttle and Rudder Pedals USB or should I just keep my Cougar?

Thanks for any input,

Foofighter

Hey Foo, I had a similar problem with the dogfight switch on my Cougar throttle. When I took it apart I found that the housing for the switch was made of plastic and had cracked. I found some really small zip ties and wrapped them around the switch. It has been working like that for over a year. You may want to give that a try, as what you describe sounds just like how that switch felt on my unit before I fixed it. Good luck. - Sledge

Hey Sledge,

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I really like the way the Cougar feels and the more I think about it I'm going to keep it. I need to spend some time tweaking everything, Ghostdog mentioned a 6mb software file and I think I might wip out my old version of F4 if I can get my hands on FF3. Thanks for the help, I am mechanically inclined (ex AD) so it shoulfdn't be a problem.

Thanks Again,

Foofighter.