Sign in to follow this  
Mike Dora

*_data.ini file - GunnerAimOffset parameter?

Does anyone know how the GunnerAimOffset parameter in the AIData section of a two-seater's *_data.ini file works?

I have noticed that it can take values ranging from 0.0050 to 30.000. That's a very wide range, I wonder what effect it has on gunner response or accuracy?

Thanks

Mike

Accuracy

Thanks Gepard, but in what way? Which is more accurate, GunnerAimOffset=0.0050 or GunnerAimOffset=30.000?

Thanks

Mike

I think (and don't quote me!) it's a percentage chance; higher number is more accurate?

wrench

kevin stein

Thanks Wrench, Gepard,

The reason I'm asking, is that after noticing the different values for this parameter I ran some trials last night with GunnerAimOffset = 0.0. Set up recce formations of Biffs, RE8s & Strutters and sent them into harm's way on autopilot. They were frequently turning in rear gunner hit percentages of 20% or more, with figures of the order of 40% being not unusual (before of course usually getting hacked by the swarms of Albatri etc). BTW I _am_ using Peter01's detuned "*_gunner" gun data entries, with nominal accuracy reduced to 10%.

What I'm trying to figure out is, if the nominal accuracy is just 10%, how come all these AI Sgt Yorks are scoring so many more hits than that? This is making attacking 2-seaters a very difficult proposition - and a formation of Gotha or AEG G-types seems like an early incarnation of the Eighth Air Force!

Mike

I've never tested, and don't have time just now, but unless someone who knows chimes in here (Peter01 where are you?) why not just run a few flights with the values set significantly higher and lower as see what happens?

I've never tested, and don't have time just now, but unless someone who knows chimes in here (Peter01 where are you?) why not just run a few flights with the values set significantly higher and lower as see what happens?

Been trying that, thanks, but so far not detecting any significant differences - too much variance in the results.

Been trying that, thanks, but so far not detecting any significant differences - too much variance in the results.

In my FE EXP, the two seaters would turn my plane into Swiss Cheese on the first pass. In FE2, it's nowhere near as bad. I tried to find the AIData files and such to see what mine was set at, but I can't find it or "gunneroffset". Even using a search... Here's all I could find for the AEG:

[AircraftData]

AircraftFullName=AEG G.IV

AircraftShortName=AEG G.IV

AircraftDataFile=AEG_G4_data.ini

LoadoutFile=AEG_G4_Loadout.ini

UserList=AEG_G4_UserList.ini

[LOD001]

Filename=AEG_G4.LOD

Distance=100

[LOD002]

Filename=AEG_G4_LOD2.lod

Distance=200

[LOD003]

Filename=AEG_G4_LOD3.lod

Distance=400

[LOD004]

Filename=AEG_G4_LOD4.lod

Distance=1600

[LOD005]

Filename=AEG_G4_LOD5.lod

Distance=10000

[DamageTexture]

DamagedPostFix=_holes.DDS

[shadow]

CastShadow=TRUE

ShadowCastDist=10000

MaxVisibleDistance=800

[TextureSet001]

Directory=GermanCamo1

Name=German Lozenge

Nation=GERMANY

Specular=0.400000

Glossiness=0.150000

Reflection=0.200000

However, I looked up the Aviatik, which also is not as accurate in FE2, and here's the settings:

[AIData]

AileronDeltaRoll=1.2

AileronRollRate=-1.0

ElevatorDeltaPitch=1.0

ElevatorPitchRate=-0.1

ThrottleDeltaSpeed=0.1

ThrottleVelocity=-0.005

MaxPitchForAltitude=25.0

MinPitchForAltitude=-15.0

PitchForThrottle=0.005

PitchForAltitude=0.01

PitchForVerticalVelocity=-0.01

RollForHeading=1.0

RollForHeadingRate=-0.05

MinRollHeading=0.0

MaxRollForHeading=30.0

PitchForRoll=0.23

FormationSpeedForPosition=0.8

FormationSpeedForRate=0.5

GunnerFireChance=80

GunnerFireTime=2.5

GunnerAimOffset=0.0050

MaxRollCombat=30.0

MaxRollFormation=15.0

MaxPitchCombat=30.0

My guess would be the lower the number, the less accurate?

BTW, how would one increase the distance in which they open fire? Say at 100 yds rather than 50? Thanks.

Edited by Spad13

It's Meters, not yards. All measurments in TKs games are metric

wrench

kevin stein

It's Meters, not yards. All measurments in TKs games are metric

wrench

kevin stein

Ok, that makes sense. How do I make them open up at say 100 meters instead of 50? Thanks!

Edited by Spad13

Ok, that makes sense. How do I make them open up at say 100 meters instead of 50? Thanks!

Never mind, I found it. Does this help, Mike? From Peter01:

If the gunner is firing, but not often or very long, you can change it easily enough. You are probably using values I did, and if so, the 2-seater gunners I did/do don't fire as much (and are less accurate) because I always felt they were too lethal as AI.

On the other hand, if you are flying the plane, the gunners don't seem to shoot much - and even less for player than as AI. Must admit that ain't much fun if your a 2-seater flyer sort of guy.

You can change that:

In the [AIData] section change GunnerFireTime=2.5 (what TK uses usually) to something like 5.0. Increases lengths of bursts.

In the Crew section, in [Gunner] section, increase the yaw and pitch rates as the gunners will fire more often and be more accurate if the can swing their guns around to shoot. If too slow, they never get a bead on the enemy plane. Change the following to these values (used by TK):

PitchAngleRate=40

and .....

YawAngleRate=60

The ones I used were much less .... 25 and 32 respectively.

Looks like this tells you how to adjust the accuracy of the gunners.- Spad13 aka Dave.