Sign in to follow this  
Creepy847

Radeon X800 Pro.

I finally went an picked an X800 Pro for myself. As its been stated the card normally gets about 7200 to 7500 on 3DMark 03. I felt this was alot less than what the actual card could get. Since there was no X800XTs in store Id go with the Pro an see if I could get some good results.

My test system:

Abit IC7 Max 3

P4 2.6 @ 3320Mhz 800Mhz Sys Bus

2 Gigs of Mushkin Enhanced DDR 3500

X800 Pro 5% overclock on memory an core. (DNA 2.8.4.8a Drivers)

Audigy 2

550 watt

Twin SE 80s gig HDs Raid 0 Config

Windows Xp Sp 2

R3Dtweak39c

I use standard AC on the processor an video so this could be achievable without any heavy modding on your part. Its more of a hardware configuration if anything the right hardware an config will def allow you to overclock. I would personally recommend PC Modder as a guide to learning to OC safely an get an idea of what the limits of MB an chipsets an memory are.

Conducted 3 tests yesterday. Lowest was 10,660 highest was 10,700.

Once the card is burnt in for another month I will try to achieve a higher OC on the video.

Also I know benchmarks dont show the true potenial of the card or flaws when actually gaming but this gives you a general idea of the power of this card.

Compared to my last card which was a Radeon 9800 Pro. I normally scored about a 6100 on 3DMark03 with the same clocking speeds on the processor an memory even with the Video overclocked past the 20% mark on core an memory I was never able to break the 6500 barrier.

My buddy who owns a computer store has slightly different systems specs an has come up with his highest score about 6800 to 6900. Thats using a P4 3.2 800 sys bus chip with that Abit IC7 Max 3 with a gig of Corsair XMS 3200 an a Radeon 9800 XT with the Rage Tweek an the lastest DNA drivers. His Processor is running stock at 3.2 but his video is OC by 20% an probably more on the core side.

I was able to OC the 9800 Pro to:

Core: 450+

Memory: 351

Most games run without artifacts but Doom 3 shows OC with the above average increases in core changes an slight increases in memory. It not a driver issue as Ive tested Doom with many different drivers Beta an offical.

I think it shows you how far the cards are coming.

PC Gamer has tested the following cards an Ill quote from theyre own test an show you the differece between theyre test scores for the X800 Pro an my own test scores. I dont know the system specs of theyre test machine but considering they have an unlimited amount of access to hardware its probably as good or better than my current system. I dont have any info on the GForce 6800 GT but Im sure its pretty fast an it does have 16 pipes like the Ultra an the X800 XT which is 4 more than the X800 Pro.

3DMark03 Test.

Geforce 6800 Ultra: 11,394

Radeon X800 ET PE: 11,361

Radeon X800 Pro: 7,568

My X800 Pro: 10,700

My 9800 Pro: 6100

As far as games go I can play Lomac at 1920x1200 with Med settings an it runs fine.

Other games including Far Cry an the Half Life 2 beta source code for Counter Strike are at the same resolutions with very high graphic settings

Anti Aliasing 4x

Anistropic Filtering 8x

Texture max

Mip Map Max

Trueform always on.

With these setting Im still able to get frame rates above 50. It all depends on the game an settings but as you can see for 399.00 US dollars you get alot of performance for the buck.

If your interested in learning more about the Rage Tweek you can go here.

http://www.rage3d.com/index.php?node=news

If your interested in trying the DNA Drivers you can go here.

http://www.guru3d.com/

Note: If you decide to use the Rage Tweek with Sp2 you might find that the Rage3d Tweek tab will be blacked out. This is an easy fix. Go to your Rage Tweek Folder.

Destination folder might look like this.: C:\Program Files\Rage3DTweak

There youll see a setup icon called: R3DUnst

Open that an check the box of the skin you want to use an then click okay. Now go back to your advance display menu an click on the 3DRage Tweek tab an now youll be able to make the changes you want to your settings. Good luck.

R/S

Creepy847

Semper Fi.

Edited by Creepy847

Ahh, man, you people are going to send me into debt when I'm pushed over the edge and buy a kick ass system... But not that I'll be complaining :D

Guess what I've got sitting downstairs?

galaxy_6800.jpg

6800GT :)

Raptor - it's a disease.

"Hi, I'm BUFF & I'm addicted to PC hardware" ;)

Good deal Buff. Best luck with it. Those are hard to come by around here right now. As a matter of fact I was at COMP USA an they didnt have any new gen cards. Completely sold out. Im glad I grabbed the one I did when I did.

R/S

Creepy847

Semper Fi.

All I got was this pretty rock.

-__-

Good deal Buff. Best luck with it. Those are hard to come by around here right  now. As a matter of fact I was at COMP USA an they didnt have any new gen cards. Completely sold out. Im glad I grabbed the one I did when I did.

R/S

Creepy847

Semper Fi.

Bah, don't buy computer stuff locally. newegg.com, you can't do better.

And just out of curiosity, which card is better, the X800 Pro or the 6800GT? If I remember correctly, the Pro has faster core speed, 475 Mhz, as opposed to 350, but the GT has faster memory, 1 Gb as opposed to 900 MHz. I havnt' been able to find any direct comparisons yet, but I would think that the faster core would outway the faster RAM? That and I think the Pro would be easier to OC. Am I right?

I try to but when I see something like that an Ive got cash burning in my pocket I just jump on it.

As far as which card is better I guess that would depend on who you favor. Both cards offer pretty much the same gaming performance tho Nvidia says that they supports 9c as where the ATI doesnt. ATI states thats its not a big issue right now cause theres nothing out there really supporting full 9c an when it does both of these cards will be out of the loop. You could argue that point for days.

Before you know it the next gen platform will be out an Im sure ATI will support that. Ive had both afew of each an I like both of them. Afew years back ATI was a bitch to get running with theyre driver issues. Now its a different story.

Anyways read my thread if you havent already about the ATI bios flash. I did it afew days back an it works. got a default setting 12677 for BM 2003 without the overdrive enabled compared to the default setting X800 Pro BM of 10,700.

Guess youll have more thinking to do.

R/S

Creepy847

Edited by Creepy847

iirc the GT beats the Pro but the XT PE beats the Ultra.