Sign in to follow this  
greendog

Brave Lightning pilot

I'm sorry, but the Lightning is just plain ugly lol, but boy can she move!!! :clapping:

~Stingray

brave ? crazy with a deathwish maybe

EJECT.jpg

I remember seeing this picture in a library book (many decades ago)

I'm sorry, but the Lightning is just plain ugly lol, but boy can she move!!! :clapping:

~Stingray

Ugly ? this plane is hot as hell and was ahead of its time........ the named Ligthning sooted it well

Not arguing that this was not a pilot's plane, I am merely saying that the look of her does little to satisfy my eyes. "..boy can she move!!!", remember??

~Stingray

Brave camera man in the first pass!!!

I love ugly plane, the Lightning looks awesome (to me).

Btw, do you remember which one is called "Double Ugly"?

The F-4E is really ugly too.

They look like beasts, sound like thunder and move like... jet fighters!

xD

the Phantom holds the name Double Ugly due to its upturned wing and down turned tail. It is also known as the St Louis Slugger(home of McDonnel) the Rhino(self explainitory) and the worlds largest distributor of Mig parts. The F-4 wasn't designed to look good it was designed to do a job. However in something the function is the beauty.

The old Lightning looks great IMHO it went like greased Lightning and was one of the very few interceptors of the time that could catch Concorde on its Mach 2 Test runs, also she did hold the fast launching fighter (Western) until the F-15 came along... As to the F-4 Rhino Double Ugly etc when they first arrived for RN Service an Admiral actually asked is it the right way up :lol:

Re. the time to climb record going to the F-15... one of the private Lightnings down in South Africa reclaimed the title a year or so back :)

Craig:drinks:

Re. the time to climb record going to the F-15... one of the private Lightnings down in South Africa reclaimed the title a year or so back :)

Craig:drinks:

They went to 98,425 feet just 3 minutes, 27.8 seconds from brake release?

FC

F-4 was definitely not the most attractive plane either. I once saw a quote saying something like how it was so ugly that even gravity refused to touch it and that was how it was able to fly!!!!

I myself am a huge F-4 fan (they didn't make them small snort snort) and am in love with how mean she looks, quote Brig. Gen. Robin Olds "Like a brooding hen, she squats half asleep over her clutch off eggs...sitting there. She is not a thing of beauty. Far from it. But she is my F-4." This plane has been quoted as a "Corvette with wings" as well, and she might not have been as fast as some other planes, she was certainly more capable than every thing else at the time!!!

~Stingray

Oh, another ugly but sick plane: Warthog!!